ar-15 - Page 2

ar-15

This is a discussion on ar-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by spyshot thanks for the advice there. i'll do some more reading in that case. does buying all the parts from several different ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ar-15

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    thanks for the advice there. i'll do some more reading in that case.

does buying all the parts from several different manufacurers make the gun less reliable?
    If you don't cut corners, and you buy a well assembled (or carefully, and correctly assemble your own) upper and lower there should be no difference.

Frankenguns have a bad reputation because people show up with all kinds of suspect parts in them. One of the most likely to fail parts on the AR is the BCG - usually the bolt itself (extractor or otherwise). Unfortunately, this is also where most home builders cut corners.

Save money on the taxes and fees of buying a fully assembled gun. Don't try to save money by buying inferior parts as well. Emphasis is added to "try to", because in the long run it will cost you more.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I agree with matiki. I'm pretty particular, in that I want to stick mostly with Rock River parts, but any "major" brand manufacturer will give you quailty stuff. Thats the beauty of the AR platform, its modular, interchangeable with many different manufacturers. I have a RRA lower and parts kit, but I'm considering a Del-Ton upper, DPMS, and others. I might even get a couple, one a 16" and a 20" for longer rane applications. You can essentially have several guns in one just by swapping uppers.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

+1 to what ada229 said!
    I started off with a Bushy carbine. Then a friend dragged me out to help him with a CMP match. I got bit by the bug, but being a poor man didn't have the cash to lay out for a competition rifle. I did have the money for a decent HBar match upper and a fixed stock and a wrench. It was seven years before I got around to getting another lower and having two complete rifles.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links