ar-15

This is a discussion on ar-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ok, i've decided i want an ar-15. i don't know a lot about them, but i have done some research and have narrowed down my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar-15

ar-15

ok, i've decided i want an ar-15. i don't know a lot about them, but i have done some research and have narrowed down my options to probably a 16" barrel with the telestock and i like the A4 model because of the option to mount some kind of optic down the road. but to start out i want the carrying handle.

my first question is, what is an m4 when talking about ar-15's?

my second question is, what brand? i know that's a loaded question, but i don't know who makes quality ar's and who makes low quality ones. i don't even know of all the names out there. is rra a good gun, bushmaster? i'm probably using it for plinking mostly so i don't need a super expensive one.

thanks for your suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    ok, i've decided i want an ar-15. i don't know a lot about them, but i have done some research and have narrowed down my options to probably a 16" barrel with the telestock and i like the A4 model because of the option to mount some kind of optic down the road. but to start out i want the carrying handle.

my first question is, what is an m4 when talking about ar-15's?
    The M16 rifle and the M4 carbine are the standard fighting rifle platforms for the U.S.

The M4 has a 14.5" barrel with a light contour under the hand guard and a notch in front of the FSB for a grenade launcher.

Most of the "M4" AR-15's you'll look at are a 16" barrel with a notch cut for a grenade launcher so that it will look like an M4 but be legal with a removable flash hider.

I have one M4 style AR-15 for HD. I picked it because with a 14.5" barrel and a permanently (welded) attached flash hider it's exactly 16" long and I wanted the shortest possible platform for maneuvering through the house. If I could have found one at the same price, I'd have gone with a standard barrel in that length with a permanent flash hider because the M4 profile does nothing for me.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

This is a tough time to decide to buy an AR-15. Prices are a bit high at the moment as you may have seen. Some rifles that would have gone for $600 or so will now be selling for $900, and rifles that sold for $1250 are selling for $1650.

There are a multitude of brands out there - I would guess about 30 - that are putting out ARs. Maybe 10 of them are great quality, 5 are total crap, and 15 are just fine for almost any normal use. Buying a new gun as opposed to one that someone built as cheaply as possible in their garage would be a good first step. Since you are planning on using it for plinking it shouldn't matter too much what you choose - if you have problems you can send it back under warranty - not that you are likely to have problems because I don't think you are.

Take some time and read around a bit - there are lots of brand disputes, and some good technical knowledge - I would suggest ar15.com and m4carbine.net for a start. But don't take too much time because I doubt prices will be going down very much, and they may continue to rise.

Austin

thanks for the replies. i have signed up an account at ar-15.com. looks like there will be alot of useful info there.

another question, what is a two stage trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    thanks for the replies. i have signed up an account at ar-15.com. looks like there will be alot of useful info there.

another question, what is a two stage trigger?
    Single stage = the pull of the trigger is firm until it breaks

Two stage = the pull of the trigger is light, then firm very briefly before it breaks.

I personally don't like two stage triggers, but they are nice for long distance shooting (which I do little to none of the time).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

M4Carbine is also another great site to learn about the AR platform rifles.

Brian

RRA 2 stage trigger works where you take up the slack in the trigger as soon as the trigger feels resistance the next little squeeze drops the hammer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you get serious like I did, reading up on them etc, I decided to build my own and will only spend around $800 for the rifle when done. I got a stripped lower for $175, a parts kit for the lower for $90, stock for $40 and I'll add the upper for about $500. Just be patient on getting parts, they're hard to come by right now.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Don't forget your bolt carrier group ada229!

A two stage trigger is an unnecessary "upgrade" to the trigger pull. Usually costs a bunch of money. If you want to spend extra money on a trigger the best triggers are made by Gieselle (or something like that).

I was putting together a few uppers today during my spare time at work - it is not hard at all to build your own rifle, but it will cost about $100 in tools for an initial investment unless you can borrow some tools from a friend.

The easiest thing to do when choosing an AR is buy a Colt and don't look back. (I haven't done it)

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    <snip>

The easiest thing to do when choosing an AR is buy a Colt and don't look back. (I haven't done it)
    ...or a Noveske, or an LMT.

Brian

Yes absolutely - but the easiest to choose is Colt. You have to read and understand to choose LMT or Noveske. Colt you just drink the Kool-Aid!

Austin

The upper will be complete. The local gun show this weekend had them, bolt carrier group, charging handle and all for around $500. A3 flat top, T marks,
    16" CAR barrel, A2 flash hider etc. All around, I'm glad I made the decision to go the build it yourself route. It saves between $200-$300 I figure.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

thanks for the advice there. i'll do some more reading in that case.

does buying all the parts from several different manufacurers make the gun less reliable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links