Defensive Carry banner

AR 15 ammunition

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  mcp1810 
#1 ·
I am picking up my husband's AR 15 soon, he is planning to be home in May, and I need to get ammunition. I am hoping someone on here might direct me to where I might find a decent price and availability now- I know it's getting more difficult these days. Thanks so much!

It's a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 if that makes a difference.

#4 · (Edited)
Good sources for bulk ammo are Wideners.com AimSurplus.com and possibly MidwayUSA.com

If you go to this web page: ALL POSTS ABOUT THE PRICE AND AVAILABILITY OF AMMO GO HERE! - AR15.COM

You will find pricing and availabilty information for most desirable ammo out there.

Since his gun is chambered for 5.56mm NATO you should try to get him that kind of ammo. Some guns can only shoot .223 Remington, but guns chambered for 5.56 NATO can shoot both.

The best 5.56mm NATO ammunition currently available is Federal XM193 - it is about $400 plus shipping for 1000 rounds. 55 grain ammunition is great for terminal performance and should give good accuracy from his barrel which is 1:9 twist. 62 grain ammunition is not as good as 55 grain.

I could go on but I think that should answer your question!

Austin

also, the best self defense ammo is Hornady 75 grain 5.56mm NATO - downside its probably over $1 a shot these days.

#11 ·
Since his gun is chambered for 5.56mm NATO you should try to get him that kind of ammo. Some guns can only shoot .223 Remington, but guns chambered for 5.56 NATO can shoot both.

The best 5.56mm NATO ammunition currently available is Federal XM193...
It is my understanding that M193 is issued to the military as a training round and is loaded to a lower chamber pressure (40000 psi) like a .223. The true "5.56mm NATO" used in combat, designated M855 in the US and SS109 elsewhere, is loaded to 50000 psi chamber pressure.

#7 ·
You may want to consider Georgia Arms. Look at their site and search by caliber. I've ordered a 1000 rounds of their "canned heat" before in 55gr. It's accurate and good ammo and was about the best price I could find. At present you'll wait 5-7 weeks for delivery. It's a hard time to be finding .223 and no matter where you find it, it won't be cheap.

#12 ·
Below are the differences between the the M193 and the M855. Personally I prefer the M193 BT.

M193 Ball 182 gr (11.79 g) 2.26 in (57.4 mm) WC 844 or CMR 170 56 gr (3.63 g) 52,000 psi (3,656 kg/cm²) 3,250 fps (991 mps)

M855 Ball 190 gr (12.31 g) 2.26 in (57.4 mm) WC 844 62 gr (4.02 g) 55,000 psi (3,867 kg/cm²) 3,025 fps (922 mps)

#13 ·
Anubis - In the military we train with 62 grain M855 which uses the SS109 bullet aka green tips. These bullets have poor terminal performance, however they are reasonably accurate out of a 1/7 twist barrel and can penetrate thin steel pot helmets. This is the same ammo we get issued in combat.

I've never seen M193 in the military (only been in 5 years though, so maybe its around) but the only reason I could see it being used is for very old barrels that have 1/12 twist. I doubt there are any of these M16A1s in service anymore. Marines generally have the oldest most beat up stuff, and we don't have any if thats any indication. It is great ammo though, shoots well out of 1/7 twist barrels and has great terminal performance.

I could be way off though. I'm not an expert in the ammo or armory field.

Austin

#14 ·
A little history off the top of my head. Feel free to correct any observed errors.
M193 basically the old 55 grain FMJ was the standard load back in the days of the M16A1 with the 1:14 rifling. Criteria was, able to penetrate steel pot at 500 yards.

M855/SS109 62 grain bullet with steel penetrator developed and issued to go with M16A2 with the 1:7 rifling. Due to the steel penetrator it is longer than a lead core bullet of similar weight.

M855/SS109 produced in countries having weapons with both rifling twists will have distinctive green tips so you can tell them apart.

M193 does not do well in 1:7 rifles
M855 does not do well in 1:14 rifles.

A significant part of the lethality of the .223/5.56 is due to the lead snowstorm effect of the bullet upsetting and disintegrating in the body. To achieve this the bullet must be above its frangible threshold which IIRC is about 2700 fps. The problem with M855 (such as it is) is that of course the steel penetrator doesn't disintegrate like the lead does. Also the superior accuracy of the newer weapons and ammo allows troops to engage targets at longer distances which results in lower impact velocities. The lower the velocity, the smaller the resulting wound.

If the zombies are already in your front yard use whichever is handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.