Olympic Arms "warranty" work.

This is a discussion on Olympic Arms "warranty" work. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK guys, so I am relatively new to the AR platform, and would like to get a consensus on something here: I bought an Olympic ...

Thread: Olympic Arms "warranty" work.

Olympic Arms "warranty" work.

OK guys, so I am relatively new to the AR platform, and would like to get a consensus on something here:

I bought an Olympic Arms K3B-M4-A3-TC back in September, before all the panic buying set in. I have only put about 200 rds through her since then. The problem is that the lower receiver will not let mags drop free, and they are extremely hard to seat as well. I have to slam them into the magwell to get them to seat properly, and yank them our with some authority to remove them. I went into Olympic Arms today to ask them to make good on their lifetime warranty and fix the problem. I was told by Andy (customer service manager) that they could run a "2nd broach" through it and recut the channels in the magwell. This process would remove the anodizing, which could not be repaired. My only choice was to either live with it as it is, or ruin the protective anodizing on my lower. I asked for the lower to be replaced, since neither of those options was acceptable to me. I was told that it is "impossible to replace the lower" because they "dont have any lowers to replace it with". After going back and forth about whether they were making lowers in the shop in the back, and whether or not I had a right as an existing customer to a new lower, I agreed to have the lower "re-cut" with the 2nd broach. I requested that I get in writing a statement that this is the prescribed course of action for such an issue, and that the work would not void my warranty. I also asked to get in writing that if there were any more problems after the work is performed that I would receive a new lower receiver. Do any of you see anything wrong with this practice of running a 2nd broach through and re-machining that mag well? The way this is being handled by Olympic Arms does seem very disappointing to me. Advice?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

I would hold out for a new lower. As an existing customer with a problem I think you ought to get priority over their orders for new rifles.

Lead Moderator
    IIRC , this has been a problem with some Oly arms AR's. I think they should be able to re anodize the lower but best to ask on www.ar15.com about AR issues. Re milling the mag well may or may not make a difference. Bottom line a full repair (which would include anodizing) or new lower should be offered.
    Anything less and I would be asking for a full refund or compensation from Oly Arms.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    I was told by Andy (customer service manager) that they could run a "2nd broach" through it and recut the channels in the magwell. This process would remove the anodizing, which could not be repaired. My only choice was to either live with it as it is, or ruin the protective anodizing on my lower.
    Re cutting the mag well might fix the too-tight specs problem. Mag wells being too tight means the cutting device is wearing out or the machining specs are wrong; if they run another worn out blade through, nothing will happen, and their dimensions might not be correct anyway. You could always send them a Magpul Pmag, which are spec'd for Colt lower receivers if they need any guidance ().

Andy is lying to you if he says the anodizing cannot be 'repaired'. If they won't do it, contact ADCO Firearms and they'll take care of you or, on the off-hand chance they can't, they can point you in the right direction. Alternatively, you could get in touch with Coal Creek Armory and have the lower refinished with Melonite QPQ, which will give you a superior finish anyway.

Cruddy customer service. Good luck with your rifle.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Poor customer service. Technically within the letter of their warranty (repair or replace at their discretion).

+1 for Adco. They'll treat you right and do a good job too.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Are the mags going in tight as soon as you try to insert them or is it a mag release problem where the button isn't pushing the mag release out far enough
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Have you tried your mags in other ar's to make sure the problem is with the lower and not the mags themselves? Just a thought.
    God & Guns!

Quote Originally Posted by mpd563 View Post
    Have you tried your mags in other ar's to make sure the problem is with the lower and not the mags themselves? Just a thought.
    Yes. I also have tried 5 different kinds of mags, including PMAGs.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Are the mags going in tight as soon as you try to insert them or is it a mag release problem where the button isn't pushing the mag release out far enough
    I can completely depress the mag release, and still have to yank on the mag to get it out.

EAJ
    I purchased an Oly AR-5 K16 Carbine a few years ago. Upon receipt I noticed a fit issue with the upper receiver which was creating a good deal of wear on the charging handle unlike another AR-15 which I’ve owned for years. I would describe my experience with their customer service as spotty dependent upon who you talk with. George was helpful, but Andy handles most of their warranty work. Andy had little interest in my satisfaction as a customer and no interest in inspecting the upper receiver. He indicated that the wear on the charging handle was normal in a forged receiver. After some debate he finally agreed to replace the charging handle and promised to send me one as soon as they arrived (out of stock). That was almost two years ago, and I‘m still waiting. Follow up emails went unanswered and I eventually handled the repair on my own. It’s been accurate and reliable since then. I hope I never need service and or God forbid Andy’s assistance again. I think their lifetime warranty is pretty much an advertising gimmick. Best of luck with your repair. :)

All the above is why I've opted not to get an Oly Arms AR even though I too live just down the road from them.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links