Sig 556-SWAT Scope Question

This is a discussion on Sig 556-SWAT Scope Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ordered a Sig 556-SWAT, and hopefully it will be waiting on me when I get home from this deployment. I don't have a scope ...

Thread: Sig 556-SWAT Scope Question

I ordered a Sig 556-SWAT, and hopefully it will be waiting on me when I get home from this deployment. I don't have a scope for it yet.

I have never used a EOTech HGS but I have heard their praises sung. I have used 100yd. Mil dot scopes (like an SKS scope) for medium range shooting and I am pretty proficiant.

In ya'lls opinion, which optic would be best suited for accurate medium range shooting. I am aware that for the reasonable price of $400-$500() you can add a 3X-4X magnifier onto the EOTech. It may be slightly harder to get a quick sight picture on a fast moving target with a scope, but your shots are likely to be more accurate. If you can't get a sight on your target, you can't hit it.

p.s. I'm hard pressed to try and keep it under or close to $500.

Suggestions?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

What do you consider medium range? I've rung a 2 foot gong at 300 yards using a EOTech equipped FAL.

I would pick an Aimpoint over an EOTech, but one of the lower power ACOGs might be just what you're looking for. Check out trijicon.com

Austin

If I could ring that gong at 150 yards, I would be happy. 300 is better, but I'm not so sure of the practicality of trying for that long a shot with a 16" barrel, although I'm told by some friends who have shot the Sig 556 that it has a pretty tight group for a 16".

I hadn't looked at the Aimpoints, I'll check it out. I would love a Trijicon, but they're just so pricey.

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSig View Post
    If I could ring that gong at 150 yards, I would be happy. 300 is better, but I'm not so sure of the practicality of trying for that long a shot with a 16" barrel, although I'm told by some friends who have shot the Sig 556 that it has a pretty tight group for a 16".
    A 24 inch gong at 300 yards is 8 MOA. The rifle should be able to do that easily.

I used to run an EOTech on my rifle, now I run an Aimpoint. They're both good scopes, and I think either one would serve you well. I made the decision primarily based on battery life. Aimpoints run for years between battery changes so they make great optics for home defense rifles. Change the battery when you do the ones in your smoke detectors and just leave it on and it's ready to go when you pick up the rifle.

The EOTech has a somewhat finer center dot than the Aimpoint does (1 MOA for the EOTech versus 2-4 MOA depending on model). If you're intending to use it for shots beyond 100 yards that may be a consideration.

I have a Sig 556 and put an EOTECH 552 (circa $400) on it and I am very pleased with the results.

Acogs are sweet but expensive
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    "In ya'lls opinion, which optic would be best suited for accurate medium range shooting"

Smart as heck choice on the selection of the SIG battle rifle.

Now the big question is... Will he make the second smart choice and go with the EOTech?

There are high quality illuminated "red dot" optics and there are true Holographic Image Reticle optics.
    The EOTech being the only true hologram reticle which visually (not physically) projects the reticle out onto the intended target out at the target plane.
    Once it is mastered and used correctly I don't think anything beats the EOTech.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Once it is mastered and used correctly I don't think anything beats the EOTech.
    I'll have to agree 100%. I have a 553 on my 6920, for my intended use, it's perfect.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Smart as heck choice on the selection of the SIG battle rifle.

Now the big question is... Will he make the second smart choice and go with the EOTech?
    That hurts. I already ordered the Aimpoint M3, but that was over a month ago and Botachtactical.com has yet to ship it.

Which particular EOT would you recommend?

Edit:

I found an EOTech 552 with FREE SHIPPING and a FREE SCOPE COAT for $499. I'm going with it.
    Last edited by SweetSig; April 14th, 2009 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSig View Post
    that was over a month ago and Botachtactical.com has yet to ship it.
    Not surprising. Botach is in the running for the world's lousiest customer service.

Administrator
    "I found an EOTech 552 with FREE SHIPPING and a FREE SCOPE COAT for $499. I'm going with it."

552 that's peachy! That will work. I got mine for $325.00 and shipping but, it was a used unit and slightly banged up and scratched but still the cats ass and is working perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Not surprising. Botach is in the running for the world's lousiest customer service.
    No argument there. I got sick of playing Email-tag.

The one I just ordered from Optics Planet has already shipped. Can't wait to get home and try it out. It'll be like Christmas!

Little OT, but what are your impressions of the Sig? Is it a SWAT or Classic SWAT? may have a line on one and need reasons not to spend so much $$$ on a new gun:)
    HK45c V1

Well seeing as I haven't shot mine yet (bought it while deployed and I haven't been home yet) I can't tell you it's THE MOST AWESOME RIFLE EVER!... can't tell you that.

Going by the numbers and from what some of my Federal Agent/Local Sherriff friends have said concerning the Sig556, I think I'll be well pleased. I HAVE handled it, and I like the balance. I'm a somewhat larger guy (6'1", 255 lbs w/ 37" waist)

It's the SWAT Model, not the classic. If it's anything like my P229, I think we'll get along fine.

Sponsored Links