Good video compares power of AK47 to other guns.

This is a discussion on Good video compares power of AK47 to other guns. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good video compares power of AK47 to other guns. YouTube - The Truth About AK-47 Firepower...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good video compares power of AK47 to other guns.

YouTube - The Truth About AK-47 Firepower

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. I still want an AK though.

Nice Find......I learned something today!

Good video. If he had shot the Watermellon with a 154 grain soft point in 7.62x39 it still wouldn't have been as impressive as the 30-30, but it would have been more then the FMJ.

Should I ever use an AK47 or a SKS for deer hunting I would use the 154 grain softpoint or some domestic manufactured hunting ammo of about 150 Gr.

I like my leveractions for hunting, but I also like my AK and SKS for plinking and small game. The advantage of having different guns is having options of firepower. My Model 92 in 25-20 is fun to shoot, light to carry, and powerfull enough for most small game, so my Military rifles are used mostly for plinking.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    That old man was annoying... seriously. Nothing like a Fudd hatin' on my AKs... That said, he had a good point that the media wants to outlaw a rifle/cartridge that isn't the most powerful thing in the world...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I think I'm going to stick with my 30-30...just buy plenty of ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Video was rediculous. Shooting at a watermelon? how does that have anything to do with live animals/people? The old dude wasn't "hating on anyone's AK" he was merely trying (poorly) to prove than an AK round does not have the power that a standard rifle round has. And he was wrong about why the watermelons blew up. It was all velocity. A slug is not going to expand sufficiently in a watermelon at those ranges to make any difference.

Next time maybe he should get a more realistic target before he goes running his mouth on video. I understand what he was trying to do - but doing it poorly doesn't help anyone.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Notice also that video is like 20 years old...

also true
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    That old man was annoying... seriously. Nothing like a Fudd hatin' on my AKs... That said, he had a good point that the media wants to outlaw a rifle/cartridge that isn't the most powerful thing in the world...
    That old man "Uncle Fudd" as you referred to was (Neal Knox) who is a big reason you are still allowed to have guns at all, and a legend in the pro-gun community. Neal was a big force in keeping the anti-gun legislature in check over the years. He's dead now, so are you going to take his place in the fight with Washington & Obama "the chosen one"?

While his demonstration was ill conceived as it was, and I understand all that, he was a driving force in keeping guns in the hands of Americans for more than 30 years. A lot more than any of us has done.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

There's a lot of people here who can't seem to understand a. the absurdity of the video and b. levity in a post...

Everyone just calm down... There's an old man in a sport coat talking about how ugly an AK is and about his first deer ever taken... all in a very misguided effort to do a good thing... He fits the exact definition of a Fudd... regardless of who he is.

And not that it's any of your business, but I am very politically active in a wide range of issues, including 2A rights... while I may not (yet at any rate) have the influence of the great Neal Knox (whom I've never heard of), I am still doing my part.

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    There's a lot of people here who can't seem to understand a. the absurdity of the video and b. levity in a post...
    Well I am one of those "who can't seem to understand the absurdity of the video". It is obviously very old, and the guy is not a professional actor, but I thought he made his point. I suspect you are under 40.

What does being under 40 have to do with anything? It was a poorly done video regardless of my age! Watermelons (unless I missed the latest update from the FBI) are not used in any kind of serious ballistics testing, the production value was poor and the writing terrible! What does that have to do with my age?

I think the video did exactly what it was meant to do. It realistically demonstrated the effective power of various calibers.

No a watermellon isn't used in ballistics testing. But, it does show the engergy and destructive potential of the various calibers. He wasn't trying to show ballistics, he was trying to have a visual presentation that disproves the article in the newspaper that was saying how powerful a 7.62x39 round was.

Substitute the guns he was using for explosive charges. If he had stuck a black cat firecracker in the watermellon and set it off, then put an old M-80 in one all the way up to a stick of dynamite it would have easily shown the power of each charge.

Most people don't understand ballistics. I would say that most shooters don't understand ballistics, energy, expansion etc. Sometimes a good visual presentation goes a long way to explain things that many can't get their heads around.

Oh, and I have never heard of the guy before either, but what he demonstrated still holds water.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The video was created to graphically demonstrate a single point, that, relatively, the "power" of the 7.62 x 39mm cartidge is highly exaggerated. The watermelons were used because they react dramatically. It wasn't intended to be a formal ballistics evaluation, nor a comparison of weapons platforms. Furthermore, the target audience was individuals who aren't knowledgeable about weapons, to whom an exploding watermelon might have more of an impact. Consider it to be the most basic of primers, which might cause an individual to think twice before spouting off about the "devastating" AK round.

KevinDooley, your age has nothing to do with whether you're able to evaluate the relative merit of the video. You just seem to have missed the point, which may indicate something else, entirely. And to call the late Neal Knox a "fudd" just shows a lack of knowledge and context. I'd recommend a bit more research on your part before making such misinformed declarations.

Here's a couple of links, the first of which explains the context of the video, the second of which tells a bit more about Neal Knox, the individual.

Blast From the Past -- AK-47 Video

Neal Knox
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links