.44 Mag Carbine for Home SD? - Page 2

.44 Mag Carbine for Home SD?

This is a discussion on .44 Mag Carbine for Home SD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an 1894SS in .44, in addition to two ARs and two short-barrel shotguns. Which sits at the ready at my ranch? The lever-action. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .44 Mag Carbine for Home SD?

A great HD weapon . . .

I have an 1894SS in .44, in addition to two ARs and two short-barrel shotguns. Which sits at the ready at my ranch? The lever-action.

Capacity vs. Knockdown Power: In the typical SHTF scenario that I may encounter at home, I'll take 10 rounds of .44 mag over 20 rounds of 5.56. With peep sights, I can easily tag 4" targets out to 100 yards, and a COM hit with HP .44 drops almost anything right in its tracks. No need to double or triple tap.

My 1894 points exactly like the Daisy Red Ryder BB gun I grew up with, so I can instinctively point and shoot without use of the sights if need be -- and still be effectively accurate out to 30 or 40 yards.

Buy and 1894 if you can find one -- you won't be sorry.

CPL

Because of the configuration of my house, I have a safe room upstairs and a safe room downstairs. Downstairs I keep a Ruger Deerfield carbine. I think it will do just fine.

I have a Marlin 44 Mag and think the same. About three weeks ago one of those gun shows on Wednesday had a show on lever action guns. They had red dot scopes and showed how to clear a room with a lever action. Impressive and informative. I would definitely pick up a Mossberg 500 tactical or breacher for a backup. The shotgun and the lever action can be purchased for less than an AR with money left over for ammo and a red dot scope.
    This is from a guy who went broke one month just buying add-ons for his AR!

VIP Member
    I have a Model 92 in .44 Magnum and a Colt Anaconda in the same...two firearms, one cartridge. Not a bad way of thinking, it seems to me.

And, if heaven forbid, you ever need to use the rifle for home-defense, the uninformed on the jury will likely look at it and see "deer rifle." The informed on the jury will know it doesn't matter.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I'm not sure of the model (I think a 1894P)...44 mag carbine 16 inch marlin used for $325 at a local gun shop. Tempting.
    I read up on marlin's micro-groove thing. Guess I'll just save up for a new one.

Thought I think I feel like it might be now or never, like someday I might want it, but will not be able to find / order. Guess that is the feeling that has increase sales...however I'm less worried about the white house, and more about the econ.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Got a spare working 1911 frame laying around, you have the perfect home defense weapon, IMHO. The carbine conversion unit by Mec-Tech Systems. I have shot one and it's extremely accurate and reliable. the one I shot had a Springfield doublestack frame attached. About as close as you can get to a 45acp tommy gun. It can even be backed up by that primary 1911.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links