.44 Mag Carbine for Home SD?

This is a discussion on .44 Mag Carbine for Home SD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are a lot of threads concerning different carbines that would have a SHTF and home SD applications. I've long considered a Marlin 1894SS 44 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 Mag Carbine for Home SD?

.44 Mag Carbine for Home SD?

There are a lot of threads concerning different carbines that would have a SHTF and home SD applications.

I've long considered a Marlin 1894SS 44 mag lever action for hunting. It would serve me about the same as a 30/30 lever action at 100 yards. Would use the same ammo as a revolver.

In a SHTF situation, 10 + 1 rounds is a solid capacity, I could reload 44 mag up at the family homestead, and in general .44 mag would be easy to come by (many people reload this round). You could also use .44 Spls. Again, would use the same ammo as a revolver (so you would not need to carry multiple types of ammo).

Maybe not as effective as a 30 + capacity AK or AR. However, 30+ rounds is a real SHTF situation. Plus, if you use the Marlin in SD, it might not have as much prejudice as it is clearly a hunting gun vs an "assault weapon." More penetration than a shotgun (that could be a bad thing). However, I've been thinking, I might place it near or a peg higher then a hand gun (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP) carbine (and many people swear by those).

So how about as a home SD rifle. Thoughts?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

nothin' wrong with your thinkin'...my 30-30 was my go to gun until I got my AR-15.

still is if the wife is around (she likes my AR a little too much...nothin' wrong with that though)

only detracting point would be speed of reload.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I'M trying to find a .41 mag lever to pair with my mod 57. They will get thier attention, and it is my "deer" rifle, not an assault weapon.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Not an Assault weapon.

Not an assault weapon. Well said.

Probably the last thing to be restricted. You can probably go out and buy one today for a reasonable price with no price gouging and it will be legal as long as any other gun. If you know how to run it, it works fine for defense.

I'd use Silvertips or Cor Bon 165gr in it rather than handloads for SD, but that's just me.

I have used a Winchester 30-30 for home defence since I was 16. Winchester came out with a leveraction in 44Mag, I bought one to use in place of the 30-30 because I had a 44 Mag pistol, also the 44Mag was a model 92 and is more compact then the model 94.

After Winchester stopped making leveractions, I decided that since I hadn't fired my new rifle I never would. I went out and bought a Marlin 1894 in 44Mag to use instead. They are about the same size.

About reloading the rifle, I can keep topping off the magazine any time I want.
    You can't do that with an AR, an AK, an SKS, or any other Semi auto. I find that a plus.

I've been looking at the Henry Big Boy (44 mag) for a fireplace hanger plus SD rifle. Should work just fine and partnered up with a 44 mag handgun would make for a fearsome pairing for sure. Still trying to get the wife to agree to hanging a gun over the fireplace and then I'm off and running.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Two suggestions: get it cut to 16", and get a stainless mag tube with stainless spring, high-polish SS follower and +P spring. See if you can get a chamfer and polish on the loading gate and port as well.

Great gun. You want it to cycle like greased glass plates, and load about as easily.

Administrator
    I always thought the Ruger Deerfield carbine would be a sweet little home defender.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am switching my SHTF gun to a Marlin 336SS (30-30) and stocking up on extra ammo...lots!
    The ammo is a little more than the .223, but it's an effective bullet for my needs...I can hit anything in MY yard.

The 44mag stuff won't be cheap, but the same ammo for both your rifle and pistol could be a winner!

Stay armed...buy lots of ammo...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't see anything wrong with the .44 mag lever gun as SD choice. I like the idea of loading it with .44 spc. It would still pack a punch, but not shoot thru your intended target, the walls of your home, and maybe your neighbors as well!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the .44 mag lever gun as SD choice. I like the idea of loading it with .44 spc. It would still pack a punch, but not shoot thru your intended target, the walls of your home, and maybe your neighbors as well!
    Good idea. However, I have hear some state (at least marlins) sometimes they develop problems cycling (two of the 44 Spl rounds try and make it up & you get a jam). But I like your thinking, and will give it a try at the range.
    NRA Member

A .357 Marlin is close to the top of my list for most of the reasons you mentioned, also considering I have 2 revolvers in .357 as well. It is a handy and versatile things, and I tend to love how lever actions feel.

But really, pistol caliber high capacity lever actions filler the roll that assault weapons now fill when they were king. And they can still do the job well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I went to a shop today (Michi-Gun) and was told it will take a while to get a 44 Mag Marlin...and that it has been a good seller lately...hmm...here I though the rush was just shotguns, ar-15 / ak-47, and pistols...

I'm going to check a few more shops...
    NRA Member

My Dad is into cowboy action shooting and about 6 years ago, bought a Winchester 94 Trapper model in 45LC. The thing is SUPER accurate at 50+ yrds!!! Fortunately, (for me), it only holds 9 rounds and for the action shooting he needs 10, so he got the next model up with a slightly longer barrel and holds the 10 rounds he needs. Amazingly it is not as accurate as the Trapper.

The Trapper model has since found a happy home with me stoked with 45LC DPX loads!!! Awesome freakin weapon for home defense, but ammo is little steep, but what ain't right now???
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I'm not sure of the model (I think a 1894P)...44 mag carbine 16 inch marlin used for $325 at a local gun shop. Tempting.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links