Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge - Page 2

Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a lot of 870 experience, through my job, but bought a Pardner for HD. I like it a lot. I don't hunt or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge

I have a lot of 870 experience, through my job, but bought a Pardner for HD. I like it a lot. I don't hunt or trap-shoot; it's strictly HD. Take it out once every three months and fire 25 rounds. Never a problem. solid and dependable for $179 brand new!

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    ...Never a problem. solid and dependable for $179 brand new!
    Dang! And I thought it was a steal at $199. If I could find 'em for $179, I'd probably buy another one, just because. Maybe two.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    So.....you saved $100 buying a cheap firearm? No thanks. Some things warrant "cheap". I buy storebrand vegetables, for example. Some things, you can have the best possible for very little more $$ than cheap. No one will ever explain to me the wisdom of being CHEAP on personal safety items.
    Well my opinion would be that just because something costs less than a name brand doesn't mean it is cheap as in junk. I have a Keltec PF9 that lots consider to be substandard. But it has been 100% for me ever since I got it. I don't personally know about the Pardner shotgun. But from the sounds of it it doesn't have anymore problems than the standard Remington 870.
    It is a buyer beware would and something made in China always raises a eyebrow for me. But read as many reviews as you can, ask questions and opinions like you have done here and then make the best informed decision you can.

Dick's Sporting Goods had the Maverick 88 and the H&R Pardner Pump Protector both with 18.5inch barrels on sale on Black Friday for $159. I was able to find a store that had one left and had them hold it for me. There was a gentleman that wanted to buy the Pardner Pump that I spoke to that said that he had a 870 Express and the PP and was looking for another PP to have as a spare as in his opinion the PP was just as good as his 870 Express but 1/2 the price. Of course I bought the last one at the Dick's I went too !!! Also for the person that said it felt cheap and light, LOL !!! You never really held the PP as it is about a pound heavier than the Maverick 88. I weighed my PP and on my scale it weighed in at 127 ounces or just under 8 pounds. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My old dad used to tell me that you get what you pay for. If I'm going to use something to protect the lives of myself and family, I will pay a premium. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    My old dad used to tell me that you get what you pay for. If I'm going to use something to protect the lives of myself and family, I will pay a premium. Just my opinion.

LOL !!! Yup I have heard the same thing, yet these same people purchase some poorly made american cars instead of buying Volvos. FYI I while researching about the H&R Pardner Pump Protector, found out that it is own by the same organization that owns Remington, etc. Also from a post a I read on some forum, one of the posters father works for a company as a metallurgist and actually purchased a Remington 870 Express and a H&R Pardner Pump and broke both down to examine the metals of both and found that the metal in the PP was just a good in some parts better than on the 870 Express. Now how true that is I do not know. God Bless

Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge

I recently bought a pardner pump for sporting clays. With the exception of choking on federal bulk ammo, it's performed pretty much flawlessly.

Last time I was out at the range, some fellow asked it I'd had problems with bulk ammo. I said yep, and mentioned that I just pay a little more for the ammo and it works fine. He pointed out that in shtf situations you can't always pick and choose your ammo. He said he had the same model and took it to a gunsmith, had the chamber polished, and since then it's been great. No problems at all.

My opinion: for $159-179... It's a fantastic buy for a solid gun that pretty much works reliably with no problems.

It is damn heavy... But once you get used to it, it's hardly noticeable, and the additional weight helps with recoil. This past weekend I took two female friends out for their first time shooting a shotgun. We used the PP and Winchester low recoil low noise ammo and they barely felt any recoil at all. We're talking one girl was maybe 110-120 lbs soaking wet and it didn't bother her at all.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    So.....you saved $100 buying a cheap firearm? No thanks. Some things warrant "cheap". I buy storebrand vegetables, for example. Some things, you can have the best possible for very little more $$ than cheap. No one will ever explain to me the wisdom of being CHEAP on personal safety items.

Then where do you draw the line? Is the Maverick better than the Pardner? Mossberg better than the Maverick? 870 better than the Mossberg? Benelli better than the 870?

Using your same logic for cars unless we ALL drive a Bugatti we are putting our lives in danger driving ANYTHING cheaper.

Distinguished Member
    I just picked up a slightly used Pardner Pump for a HD gun. It feels anything but cheap. It's very solid and handles great and as mentioned takes any 870 accessory.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I bought a Pardner Pump Protector several months ago from Walmart for USD $179. The salesman showed me in his product listing that the gun was sourced by Walmart from Remington. The documentation which came with the PP makes numerous references to Remington supplies and accessories. On the side of the gun it says "Made in China."

When I took it down for a thorough cleaning, I did not see anything about it that is cheap, frail, or light. I'm convinced that it is a tremendous value, and a dependable weapon for HD. Lower price does not always mean lower quality; and certainly not with this shotgun. It appears that most people who own both the 870 and the Pardner Pump have a similar view.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    HANK
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I just looked at one at Dicks. They had several on display. $199 is the regular price. I am waiting to get it on sale somewhere. It looks solidly built and I like that it is a little weighty.
    I looked up some reviews on this online, it it appears to be a good gun for the money.
    - I have a handgun for HD, but I like the idea of having a shotgun availble. So I may get one of these.

Gun Review: H&R 1871 Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge | The Truth About Guns

Ex Member
    On second thought if you consider the problems with stress and double feed get a 12 gauge SXS Coach gun. For HD if you need more than 2 shots you are screwed anyway.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with Mossberg, Winchester, or Remington, IMHO. If money is the issue the Mossberg can be had a Wally World for $259. Any of these models can be found used for about what you would pay for the made in China Pardner. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I would grab it and go. It has everything I would look for in a basic HD shotty... 18.5 inch barrel, its heavy, its ugly, and it works.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links