Defensive Carry banner

Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge

18K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  Taurahe 
#1 ·
Thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge?

I was wanting to get a good 12 gauge for HD mostly.
I looked at the Mossberg 500, Remington 870 all great
shotguns but I saw this one over in the corner of the shop.

Its made in China, which I don't like :dead: and it feels really
light and cheap when you pick it up...but it's priced so much
cheaper than the others.

I don't care about putting on a lot of tactical stuff. I just want
a plain jane shotgun for HD.

Is this ok? or do I need to put a few more dollars into this?
Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
My impression is that a HD shotty is something you are using to protect you and your loved ones, and as such it is probably worth the extra cash for an 870 or 500 (either or, I like them both).

If it feels light and cheap, do you trust you life to it in a situation where everything is screwed up?

Reactions: StormRhydr
#3 ·
Personally I would pick up the Maverick as a cheap alternative if I wanted new. It is made by mossberg and accepts most of the Mossberg stuff.

However used shotguns are at just about every pawnshop and often quite cheap, and barely used.

#6 ·
Personally I would pick up the Maverick as a cheap alternative if I wanted new. It is made by mossberg and accepts most of the Mossberg stuff.

However used shotguns are at just about every pawnshop and often quite cheap, and barely used.
+1. Buy a Mossberg or a Remington.

Reactions: StormRhydr
#4 ·
Its made in China, which I don't like :dead: and it feels really
light and cheap when you pick it up...but it's priced so much
cheaper than the others.

I don't care about putting on a lot of tactical stuff. I just want
a plain jane shotgun for HD.
Would you buy the cheapest possible airbag? The most inexpensive parachute?

#7 ·
Okay, speaking as an instructor, I'd have to know your skill level with a shotgun under high stress.

When the chips are down (I have seen this under match conditions, so imagine an intruder) there can be a tendency with folks who are less experienced with a pump to get the first round off, but for shot #2 they get too excited and fail to bring the pump forcefully down to the very bottom of it's range of travel and start back up too soon. This can result in a "double feed jam" and that is NOT something you want to experience in combat. It's nearly impossible to "clear" easily or quickly. I use an OLD Benelli semi auto and have never had the first problem.

Reactions: RichB70
#10 ·
The New England Firearms "Pardner" is almost an exact clone of the Remington 870 to the point that almost all parts are completely interchangeable between the two including stocks, barrel, trigger group, bolt, pump slide, and pretty much everything else. I was a little leery myself in the beginning until I had to very reputable gunsmiths tell me I was crazy to spend extra money on a Remington unless I was looking for "pretty" 870. So, I bought the Pardner for $245.

Actually, the only difference I've found between my NEF Pardner and my 870 is the Pardner's magazine tube is about an inch or so longer (along with the difference in magazine loop spacing on the barrel). You could fit an 870 barrel on the Pardner, but would have to use a spacer sleeve between the barrel lug and magazine cap. When I fitted it with an 870 magazine tube extender, I had to knock the end out of the extender and cut it down to match the 18" barrel length before re-inserting the extender's end plug.

NEF is associated with H&R, and while most of the gun is Chinese made, the barrel and a few other components are made by H&R in the USA. Only thing I did was deburr and smooth the machined rails inside the receiver (like I did on my 870), and the Pardner is every bit as tight, sturdy, and actually a bit smoother pump action than the 870 has.

Since it's my HD shottie that I stay in practice with, I routinely fire 3" Magnum rifled slugs and 12-pellet 00-buckshot through it as smooth as silk with no problems whatsoever. If you're looking for a good 870 for HD and not after a pretty bird gun with a beautiful walnut stock, then you can save a few hundred bucks on the Pardner and have just as fine a gun as the Remington.

#12 ·
The New England Firearms "Pardner" is almost an exact clone of the Remington 870 to the point that almost all parts are completely interchangeable between the two including stocks, barrel, trigger group, bolt, pump slide, and pretty much everything else. I was a little leery myself in the beginning until I had to very reputable gunsmiths tell me I was crazy to spend extra money on a Remington unless I was looking for "pretty" 870. So, I bought the Pardner for $245...

...the Pardner is every bit as tight, sturdy, and actually a bit smoother pump action than the 870 has...

...smooth as silk with no problems whatsoever. If you're looking for a good 870 for HD and not after a pretty bird gun with a beautiful walnut stock, then you can save a few hundred bucks on the Pardner and have just as fine a gun as the Remington.
I've got one. $199 at Cabelas a little over a year ago. It's going to shoot when you need it to.

I actually saw a couple of reviews (wish I could provide a link, but I can't) where they were judged to be BETTER than an 870. Not sure I buy that assessment, but it's certainly a perfectly adequate HD gun. If you're after "fit 'n' finish", get an 870. If you want a pretty gun to pass down to your grandson as a family heirloom, maybe you want the 870. If you want a shotty that'll do the job for HD, and that's all, save the $ and get the Pardner. It's a great value.

Regards,
Jim

#11 ·
I have 1. 100% reliable. Dont buy into the "you need to buy the most expensive" If a $200 HD shotgun works just as well as a $300 Remington, why is one better? It is not. The finish is not as good as others, and the mag tube feed is sharp, but it gets the job done cheap and effective.

#14 ·
So.....you saved $100 buying a cheap firearm? No thanks. Some things warrant "cheap". I buy storebrand vegetables, for example. Some things, you can have the best possible for very little more $$ than cheap. No one will ever explain to me the wisdom of being CHEAP on personal safety items.

#18 ·
Well my opinion would be that just because something costs less than a name brand doesn't mean it is cheap as in junk. I have a Keltec PF9 that lots consider to be substandard. But it has been 100% for me ever since I got it. I don't personally know about the Pardner shotgun. But from the sounds of it it doesn't have anymore problems than the standard Remington 870.
It is a buyer beware would and something made in China always raises a eyebrow for me. But read as many reviews as you can, ask questions and opinions like you have done here and then make the best informed decision you can.

#15 ·
Pardner Pump - I own 1 with the 28" barrel. I've shot buckshot & birdshot thru it and works fine every time. Got my son the 20 ga youth model and it has never had a problem as well.
A friend with a new 870 has had more issues with his than I've had with mine.

In a home defense scenario, I'd be more concerned about a "double feed jam" as Exsoldier stated, than if the pardner pump will go bang.
From my experience, it is a simple and very sturdy gun.

#17 ·
...Never a problem. solid and dependable for $179 brand new!
Dang! And I thought it was a steal at $199. If I could find 'em for $179, I'd probably buy another one, just because. Maybe two.

Regards,
Jim

#19 ·
Dick's Sporting Goods had the Maverick 88 and the H&R Pardner Pump Protector both with 18.5inch barrels on sale on Black Friday for $159. I was able to find a store that had one left and had them hold it for me. There was a gentleman that wanted to buy the Pardner Pump that I spoke to that said that he had a 870 Express and the PP and was looking for another PP to have as a spare as in his opinion the PP was just as good as his 870 Express but 1/2 the price. Of course I bought the last one at the Dick's I went too !!! Also for the person that said it felt cheap and light, LOL !!! You never really held the PP as it is about a pound heavier than the Maverick 88. I weighed my PP and on my scale it weighed in at 127 ounces or just under 8 pounds. God Bless :smile:

#21 ·
LOL !!! Yup I have heard the same thing, yet these same people purchase some poorly made american cars instead of buying Volvos. FYI I while researching about the H&R Pardner Pump Protector, found out that it is own by the same organization that owns Remington, etc. Also from a post a I read on some forum, one of the posters father works for a company as a metallurgist and actually purchased a Remington 870 Express and a H&R Pardner Pump and broke both down to examine the metals of both and found that the metal in the PP was just a good in some parts better than on the 870 Express. Now how true that is I do not know. God Bless :smile:

#23 ·
I recently bought a pardner pump for sporting clays. With the exception of choking on federal bulk ammo, it's performed pretty much flawlessly.

Last time I was out at the range, some fellow asked it I'd had problems with bulk ammo. I said yep, and mentioned that I just pay a little more for the ammo and it works fine. He pointed out that in shtf situations you can't always pick and choose your ammo. He said he had the same model and took it to a gunsmith, had the chamber polished, and since then it's been great. No problems at all.

My opinion: for $159-179... It's a fantastic buy for a solid gun that pretty much works reliably with no problems.

It is damn heavy... But once you get used to it, it's hardly noticeable, and the additional weight helps with recoil. This past weekend I took two female friends out for their first time shooting a shotgun. We used the PP and Winchester low recoil low noise ammo and they barely felt any recoil at all. We're talking one girl was maybe 110-120 lbs soaking wet and it didn't bother her at all.

#26 ·
I bought a Pardner Pump Protector several months ago from Walmart for USD $179. The salesman showed me in his product listing that the gun was sourced by Walmart from Remington. The documentation which came with the PP makes numerous references to Remington supplies and accessories. On the side of the gun it says "Made in China."

When I took it down for a thorough cleaning, I did not see anything about it that is cheap, frail, or light. I'm convinced that it is a tremendous value, and a dependable weapon for HD. Lower price does not always mean lower quality; and certainly not with this shotgun. It appears that most people who own both the 870 and the Pardner Pump have a similar view.

#27 ·
I just looked at one at Dicks. They had several on display. $199 is the regular price. I am waiting to get it on sale somewhere. It looks solidly built and I like that it is a little weighty.
I looked up some reviews on this online, it it appears to be a good gun for the money.
- I have a handgun for HD, but I like the idea of having a shotgun availble. So I may get one of these.

Gun Review: H&R 1871 Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge | The Truth About Guns

#29 ·
You can't go wrong with Mossberg, Winchester, or Remington, IMHO. If money is the issue the Mossberg can be had a Wally World for $259. Any of these models can be found used for about what you would pay for the made in China Pardner. Good luck!

#30 ·
I would grab it and go. It has everything I would look for in a basic HD shotty... 18.5 inch barrel, its heavy, its ugly, and it works.

Reactions: Kilowatt3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.