I would like a muzzleloader...

This is a discussion on I would like a muzzleloader... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isnt gonna be my go to gun but I want to have one in the case. Having said that, Im not looking to get ...

Thread: I would like a muzzleloader...

This isnt gonna be my go to gun but I want to have one in the case.

Having said that, Im not looking to get too spendy but want a good gun.

What say the experts here?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Muzzle loading is an expensive hobby. My friend has a few and I'm probably gonna buy one from him that he's temping me with. But you need to buy caps, powder, ball, cloth, measure cup... and so on.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Far from expert but I do OK.

In general I would suggest that the extra dollars for a stainless steel in-line M/L is money well spent it is easier to clean and will allow for much longer life. Unless you want to be a purist skip the loose powder go with pellets; Triple Seven is the cleanest and least smokey. For simplicity and long range accuracy skip round ball and use saboted bullets. Break action style is much easier to clean compared to the falling block or bolt action style M/Ls. Also, M/Ls that use 209 primers for ignition are much more reliable long term or in foul weather. CVA makes some that fit the above personally I have taken a deer at 202 yards with my Thompson Encore. I hope my opinion is helpful.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Are you asking about rifles AllAmerican?

Expect to pay $500 - 800 for an inline, depending on model. The most popular caliber today is .50 cal. Budget another $100 - 150 for accessories like worms, ball pullers, etc. Most of the inlines today use a shotshell primer. And there is more, so much more. Muzzleloading is a great hobby if you are into it.

But honestly, if you are not into it, your money is better spent elsewhere, like say, on a good .22 rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Remington 700ML.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What about the ones we see in the Sportsmans Guide catalog and CTD?

I dont love eaither one of those places but I see em in there fr a few hundred with the scope on it.

Id probably shoot it a few times a year. Take a deer or two...

Then again have the .270 and the shot guns.

I just thought it would be something nice to have and to try to get into.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I've been into muzzle-loading for years, but I'm a traditionalist and shoot flintlock longrifle or musket. If you want to give it a try, take a look at your local sporting goods store. There are "kits" that include a rifle and accessories which can be had for a modest investment (powder extra). The folks at the store may be able to give you some tips. I agree on the 209 primers for in-line ignition. If you look around, you may find a "used but not abused" rifle.

This is just a place to start. You can always move up from there.

Muzzleloading is a great sport, and can become addicting. You can find more info on the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association site nmlra-dot-org.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    I've been into muzzle-loading for years, but I'm a traditionalist and shoot flintlock longrifle or musket. If you want to give it a try, take a look at your local sporting goods store. There are "kits" that include a rifle and accessories which can be had for a modest investment (powder extra). The folks at the store may be able to give you some tips. I agree on the 209 primers for in-line ignition. If you look around, you may find a "used but not abused" rifle.

This is just a place to start. You can always move up from there.

Muzzleloading is a great sport, and can become addicting. You can find more info on the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association site nmlra-dot-org.
    What about something like this? I dont buy from these guys but I do get the catalog.

Traditions Yukon Drop Breech Action Muzzleloader With 4x32 Mm Scope, Mounts / Rings And Sling, Black Powder, Traditions at Sportsman's Guide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=407945
    New tunes added.

VIP Member
    I have two inlines and have shot many more. THE VERY BEST muzzle loaders are made by Thompson Center! Look at the Omega before you buy anything else! When I say look I mean go pick one up at a gun shop and look at it and hold it! Stainless is nicer than blue steel but not absolutely necessary. A TC Omega in blue steel will run about 300 bucks. They are absolutely top shelf. If that is not in you price range then I would suggest a CVA. The above listed Yukon is sorta bottom of the barrel but it will probably shoot OK for you. It is also a cheap way of getting started to see if you really like muzzle loading. The muzzle loader in the second link is an absolute turd! Avoid it at all costs!

Things to avoid:

Anything with a two piece stock. Go for a one piece.
    #11 percussion caps. Go for #209 primer ignition.
    Saboted bullets. Use power belts.
    pyrodex. Use triple seven.

Hit me with a pm if you have any specific questions!
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 7th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have two inlines and have shot many more. THE VERY BEST muzzle loaders are made by Thompson Center! Look at the Omega before you buy anything else! When I say look I mean go pick one up at a gun shop and look at it and hold it! Stainless is nicer than blue steel but not absolutely necessary. A TC Omega in blue steel will run about 300 bucks. They are absolutely top shelf. If that is not in you price range then I would suggest a CVA. The above listed Yukon is sorta bottom of the barrel but it will probably shoot OK for you. It is also a cheap way of getting started to see if you really like muzzle loading.

Thing to avoid:

Anything with a two piece stock. Go for a one piece.
    #11 percussion caps. Go for #209 primer ignition.
    Saboted bullets. Use power belts.
    pyrodex. Use triple seven.

Hit me with a pm if you have any specific questions!
    Thanks timmy!
    New tunes added.

I'm not a traditionalist, I go out for meat and the less hassel the better IMO.

I use one of these in .50 cal with a 4x scope.

MDM-Muzzleloaders: B-O-A BUCKWACKA / .50 Caliber / Stainless Steel / Walnut Finish Stock

Accurate, and easy to clean. I use Pyrodex pellets, 209 shotgun primers and 295 gr copper jacketed hollow point "Powerbelt" bullets.

Powerbelt Bullets

It makes things easy. No powder measuring and no patches etc. You don't really even need a bullet starter with thes bullets. I shoot it once a year to make sure it's sighted in before I go hunting. A box of powder pellets, primers and pack of bullets lasts me for a few years.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post

I use one of these in .50 cal with a 4x scope.

MDM-Muzzleloaders: B-O-A BUCKWACKA / .50 Caliber / Stainless Steel / Walnut Finish Stock

Accurate, and easy to clean. I use Pyrodex pellets, 209 shotgun primers and 295 gr copper jacketed hollow point "Powerbelt" bullets.

Powerbelt Bullets

It makes things easy. No powder measuring and no patches etc. You don't really even need a bullet starter with thes bullets. I shoot it once a year to make sure it's sighted in before I go hunting. A box of powder pellets, primers and pack of bullets lasts me for a few years.

Wow, that fits what I described in post # 3 and is way less than my Encore. I use a lighter bullet 200g and 130g of Triple Seven, it shoots nice and is more than enough for whitetail.

And +1 to
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    I have a NEF muzzleloader very similar to the buckwacka. The are not bad but you need to be careful about removing the front stock screw. Every time you change the tightness of the front stock screw you can change the POI @ 100yds by as much as 4 or 5 inches. I've locktighted the screw in place on mine and it has cured the problem. It also takes the convenience factor of the gun way down, but it does shoot OK now.

IMO the Omega is by far and away the best all around package on the market!
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a NEF muzzleloader very similar to the buckwacka. The are not bad but you need to be careful about removing the front stock screw. Every time you change the tightness of the front stock screw you can change the POI @ 100yds by as much as 4 or 5 inches. I've locktighted the screw in place on mine and it has cured the problem. It also takes the convenience factor of the gun way down, but it does shoot OK now.

IMO the Omega is by far and away the best all around package on the market!
    Never had that problem with the MDM. Of course it has a huge tapped lug that is welded to the barrel and that is what the forend screw goes into so that probably keeps it pretty stout. The only downside to it that I failed to mention is that is is a heavy rifle for it's size. It must weight over 7 pounds I think.
    Last edited by sgtD; March 7th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sponsored Links