Proper Technique for...

This is a discussion on Proper Technique for... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; shooting a Mossberg 500 shotgun with a Knoxx recoil reducing breacher grip. At some point I want to take the NRA course but is there ...

Thread: Proper Technique for...

Proper Technique for...

shooting a Mossberg 500 shotgun with a Knoxx recoil reducing breacher grip. At some point I want to take the NRA course but is there any good instructional reading or video on the web?

2. Remove Ads

Are you just looking for general info on running a shotgun, or did you have a specific question about your current setup?

For of reloading and a slug-select, check out this photo-progression
    Total Protection Interactive (you'll have to register with the forum to see it).

Otherwise, I've heard some really good things about the Rangemaster "Defensive Shotgun" DVD
    RANGEMASTER - Proven techniques, tactics, and thinking for the real world.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Don't try to put your cheek on it or anything crazy like that. Hold it comfortably with the arm of your forward hand (left if you're a righty) nearly extended. Look through the sights, keep a firm grip. The recoil is not bad at all on stockless shotguns with most 2-3/4" loads - I have not fired 3" loads this way but I don't expect it would be a big deal. Not having a stock on your shoulder means that all the recoil gets absorbed through your joints and muscles instead of your shoulder. Hope this helps,

Austin

Administrator
    I'm not being a smartass when I ask this... but did you ever play baseball?
    "Just blame Sixto"

kenpotex

I'll check out the DVD.

aus71383

Yes, it just didn't feel quite right have the butt of the pistol grip on my cheek :).

Sixto

Yes, I've played baseball. Are you suggesting tossing the shells in the air and batting them with the Mossberg?

Senior Moderator
    Hold it like you are bunting a pitch
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You can also use a high-pectoral hold.

Edit: the PG set-up is good for shooting across a room, or for use in a vehicle, if you really practice with it. In pretty much every other use, a short stock is better...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Sixto

Yes, I've played baseball. Are you suggesting tossing the shells in the air and batting them with the Mossberg?
    LOL, not what I was thinking, but funny.

What I'm referring to is how a field player gets up on the balls of his feet with knees bent while waiting for the ball to be hit. Its a great position for balance and have the ability to move quickly in any direction needed. Get your body faccing the target, just like a ball player would.
    Get a slight bend in your knee, lean forward into the shotgun.
    This will get you much more stable and be able to soak up recoil. The pistol grip shotguns are tougher to operate, so I don't recommend them at all.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 6th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto

Glad I could bring a little laughter into your day :).

As Rob72 mentioned the pistol grip set-up would seem to me to be a close range, point shooting affair (across a room) versus aiming with sights. For the average persons that puts in some you might be able to develop a fair amount of accuracy out to 15 or 20 yards using this method. Beyond that sighting using a rifle or shoulder fired shotgun would be the better option. I've got my CX-4 Storm for that.

Administrator
    You absolutely could learn to point shoot a shotgun, but the pistol grip limits options IMO. You can do everything with a full stocked gun that you could do with a pistol grip, same cant be said in reverse.
    "Just blame Sixto"

100% agreed. ^^ [Sixto]

In fact for HD a shotgun is just that, a pointshoot tool. Sights on a shotgun at HD/CQB distances are not at all necessary.
    Square your body to the target with the shotgun properly shouldered for combat intent, as opposed to rifle style such as for clays or duck hunting, and the barrel will naturally point where you point your axis of movement...and do so quickly with accuracy.

Also agreed with Sixto in regard to his suggestions toward stance.
    Like any other type of specific shooting activity, doing so with a shotgun toward this intent is not same as being in the woods or in an open field.
    Just as bullseye type shooting style does not work and is not applicable to combat shooting as related to handguns/pistols.

IMHO it's advisable to take a detailed course or two on combat longgun use toward shotgun and rifle.
    Do not assume that because you've been running hunting purposed longguns or have fun at hitting clays will 1:1 transfer in functional usable _optimal_ skillset toward HD/CQB. And vice versa.

$0.01 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links