Everyday Rifle - Page 2

Everyday Rifle

This is a discussion on Everyday Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The .308 is a great all around cartridge. You can get a bolt, lever, pump or semi-auto rifle chambered in .308...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyday Rifle

The .308 is a great all around cartridge. You can get a bolt, lever, pump or semi-auto rifle chambered in .308
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Every Day Rifle = 30/30 lever gun
    +1 on that! It'll take just about any game you need, ammunition is plentiful (#2 round sold in the US, 22LR is #1), good rate of fire and no nasty "black rifle" look, if you care about that
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Distinguished Member
    Short action vs long action is the opening size you have when the bolt is opened, the 308 shell is shorter than a 270, so the bolt and the opening can be made shorter. In theory it is supposed to make the receiver more rigid, in turn more accurate.

A great starter center fire rifle to consider would be a 243 win. It has factory loads that shoot flatter and faster than a 223 or 308. It can be used for varmint type game, and if you know what you are doing, many of elk have fallen to a 243.

The recoil is manageable, and most guns will be made in this caliber. It is a 308 shell case necked down to .244 cal bullet.

It could be considered the "30-06" of small bores, capable of many things.

Savage makes great affordable guns, I am partial to Ruger because I really like their scope mounts, they are machined into the receiver, so one don't need a scope base and rings, one less thing to fail, and they come with the gun, so one less thing to buy.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

An AR will meet about every need.

For a bolt gun Savage. as accurate or better then a Rem 700 and a lot cheaper. Plus barrel changes to other calibers are very easy. Basically just unscrew. With a 700 gunsmith required.

.308 is a great round and easy and relatively cheap to reload.

Both of my beloved rifles are 30.06 and 8mm.

Springfield 1903A3 one of the best bolt guns I've shot.

Then my 8mm Mauser (no import stickers) bring home. Another very smooth rifle to shoot.

Ammo isn't to hard to come by. I shoot these often enough.

If you want an inexpensive entry level route, get a Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 ($79 - $130), replacement bent bolt for $60 and a rear leaf replacement scope mount for $10, and a mid-line scope ($100 +/-) and 880 rounds of Mil Surp ammo for $200, and a rubber recoil pad $13.

If you want open sights, scratch the scope, mount, and bolt. (rifle + pad + ammo)

I am getting fairly decent with my 78 year old pre WWII infantry rifle, iron sights at 300m.

7.62x54r (.311 cal) just as powerful if not slightly more than the .308. Hunting ammo is available for them.

You can upgrade these as money becomes available. Synthetic stock, side mount scope, lots of little things out there to "modernize them"

The only drawback is that the Russians did not believe in a safety - There is none unless he bolt is open or the chamber and magazine well is empty with the cocking bolt released.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

This rifle will not be used for hunting. Just plinking and honing skills. May use it for personal defense while out on the acreage.

So, what caliber would be cheaper to shoot?
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I have read several reviews of the Mossberg ATR, both from professional gun writers, and folks on other forums. Seems like it is a pretty robust rifle and quite accurate. The new models this year have adjustable triggers as well.

For the money, they would probably be a good all around rifle. I have not shot one myself, but have seriously considered getting one in 30-06 just to add to my collection.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The last time I looked for ammo, the price of .223/5.56 was more than 30-06 per round.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    This rifle will not be used for hunting. Just plinking and honing skills. May use it for personal defense while out on the acreage.

So, what caliber would be cheaper to shoot?
    Find a 223 in some style, brand, that you like and all will be fine in the
    World.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Everyday rifle and hone rifle skills = .22 LR

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Everyday rifle and hone rifle skills = .22 LR
    I have a 22LR and a 22 WinMag at the house. Looking for something bigger.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    I know my handguns pretty well and am now interested in obtaining an everyday rifle. I inherited a 22 Win Mag but am looking for something in a bigger caliber. My local gun store guy recommended something in a 308 since 308 is is a pretty generic caliber and there is a lot of different ammo made for it. He recommended something like a Remington 700 in 308. I am not a hunter. I'm just looking to prefect my rifle skills. Suggestions please.

Thanks,
    Doc,

I would recommend several brands of inexpensive bolt action rifles such Ruger M77, HOWA, Savage or even Marlin in .222 or .243 or even 25-06 for ammunition availability.

Lever action could be Marlin, Savage, if you can find one Winchester, Browning, or even the Henry. I think even Uberti makes lever actions in 30-30, 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, or even .357mag or 44mag. You can find most of these on any gunshop shelf and at most WalMart's.

Of course the semi autos are almost impossible to find reasonably priced but a SKS, AK47, AR15, Ruger Mini 14, Hi Point 9mm, Beretta Cx4, 9mm.

tex45acp
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Every Day Rifle = 30/30 lever gun
    Let me agree here...I just sold my AR to buy more ammo for my 'Every Day Rifle'...a Marlin 336SS...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links