AR15 vs. Mini14 accuracy inquiry??

This is a discussion on AR15 vs. Mini14 accuracy inquiry?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my experience an AR is hit and miss (no pun) on dependability. Yes they can be tack drivers and yes they have a lot ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 vs. Mini14 accuracy inquiry??

In my experience an AR is hit and miss (no pun) on dependability. Yes they can be tack drivers and yes they have a lot more stuff to hang on them (that you donít need for a SHTF gun) and yes they can be jam-o-matics if not clean. I have never seen or heard of a Min jamming. For a SHTF rifle and not some fancy, cool looking range gun my money is on the Mini. The Mini 14 wasnít made for spot on long range work. To me thatís the job of a bolt action. A Mini 14 is kind of like the AKís. Not the most accurate thing in the world but when the SHTF I know that it will work every time I pull the trigger. Good luck!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    In my experience an AR is hit and miss (no pun) on dependability. Yes they can be tack drivers and yes they have a lot more stuff to hang on them (that you donít need for a SHTF gun) and yes they can be jam-o-matics if not clean. I have never seen or heard of a Min jamming. For a SHTF rifle and not some fancy, cool looking range gun my money is on the Mini. The Mini 14 wasnít made for spot on long range work. To me thatís the job of a bolt action. A Mini 14 is kind of like the AKís. Not the most accurate thing in the world but when the SHTF I know that it will work every time I pull the trigger. Good luck!
    Your experiences do not mirror those of most of the country, or the world, that has tried to make the Mini 14 their standard rifle. They are not very well built rifles, especially compared to a properly built AR-15 (or even an AK). Additionally, ARs really don't need the cleaning everyone says they do. Lube, yes, but cleaning, not so much.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Own & shoot both Mini 14 & AR15 models. I once rationalized about which I liked best & for what reasons. Enough is enough. Long story short - The AR wins.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

GKG
    Our experience with our Mini-14 (owned it over 15 years ago and wouldn't have another one if it were given to me) is that as you fire it, and as the barrel heats up, your grouping at say 100 yards will also open up Big Time. There isn't a comparison.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

I see there are a few members who have responded that own both the AR and the Mini, many thanks. Any difference in recoil??

I'm thinking maybe the Mini has a little more kick. Just started thinking about maybe the little woman should know how to run this gun and I would rather have the one with lesser recoil.

I'm really learning alot, gang. Great thread for me!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Recoil is about the same to me. Maybe a little more with the Mini but even at that, it's very easily managed. My wife even likes it and she's recoil shy.

Let me say to the other guys, the AR is probably the better gun for a military role, I agree. However, the prepared civilian would never be under gunned with a Mini-14. It will do everything the homeowner needs, and then some.

I have no hesitation about grabbing the Mini for a long, hard domestic crisis should it be needed. I will say my M4 will be first up as it is outfitted for such but if all I had was the Mini, I am perfectly fine with that. Without a doubt.

I have no issues with depending on a Mini in harm's way. They're anvil tough & can tolerate a LOT of exposure, abuse & neglect without laying-down. You see more Mini 14s lashed to the back of snowmobiles in Alaska than you see ARs. (but that could be a cost issue?). Recoil is a non-concern with either a Mini or an AR. I understand the changes of the New Model Mini 14 have addressed some of the past "hot-barrel" accuracy complaints, but the New Mini price-point (to me) means the AR is still the best option between the two.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well just as I'm leaning towards the Mini 14, along comes another wrinkle. Seems S&W is making one of their new M&P15's in 5.45x39. This ammo is everywhere and I'm finding it for less than half the price of .223/5.56.

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned how I got to shoot the M&P15 last weekend and was quite pleased with the platform, (it was my first time shooting an AR15). A little over $1K for the weapon and 1000 rnds for around $200 +/-????

Hate to say it, but this might be the deciding factor......

Might wanna consider long-term ammo supply. 7.62x39 is slim to none right now and I'm thinking it's more an import issue. 5.45 may end up the same way. Your dime though.

Yeah, I was considering that too, Sarge. But at that price I could buy a crate every month or so and be ready for zombies until "you know where" freezes over.

BTW, Detonics for you avatar?? I got one just like her in the safe. Only ever shot her twice.

LOL. I've always wanted a Detonics but they are elusive. Yeah, if you can buy lotsa bulk and set it aside you'll be ok til the domestic suppliers get going. I almost made that decision on the 5.45 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Great intel, gang! Thanks a ton!!!

Here's a link to a new model Mini14 that got my attention;

MINI 14 Tactical

Please,.... keep the input coming!
    Sorry, I don't place a lot of importance on how a gun looks but that is FUGLY.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    I see there are a few members who have responded that own both the AR and the Mini, many thanks. Any difference in recoil??

I'm thinking maybe the Mini has a little more kick. Just started thinking about maybe the little woman should know how to run this gun and I would rather have the one with lesser recoil.

I'm really learning alot, gang. Great thread for me!
    I had a stainless Mini 14 RR and also have an Armalite AR-10A2 in 308. No comparison in accuracy, build quality, or power, and recoil wasn't much different IMHO. The Mini 14 was sold to a friend and the Armalite is a keeper. I looked at Mini 30's and AK's but I favor the 308 over either of the other two military rounds. And when I load my AR with Hornady TAP 110gr, my 100 yard pattern (with just an Aimpoint CompM3) goes from 2 inch groups (Winchester FMJ practice rounds) to 1 inch groups. I feel like I can be very effective out to 300-400 yards with the AR-10 and I never felt like the Mini 14 was good for anything over 150 yards. And my wife can handle the AR-10 recoil with ease and she weighs 100 pounds dripping wet. Now the poor slubs next to us at the range get the full report of a 308 out of a short SS barrel with a muzzle break. Ouch!
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links