Removing an AK-47 muzzle brake.

This is a discussion on Removing an AK-47 muzzle brake. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear DC, I have a Bulgarian SLR-101S Arsenal Arms mod AK-47. It has a muzzle brake with 3 vertical slots on it. I believe it ...

Thread: Removing an AK-47 muzzle brake.

Removing an AK-47 muzzle brake.

Dear DC,

I have a Bulgarian SLR-101S Arsenal Arms mod AK-47. It has a muzzle brake with 3 vertical slots on it.

I believe it is a muzzle brake that you would call "pinned". It butts right up to the front sight, is on there so tight that I can't budge it with my hands, and there doesn't appear to be one of those little push-buttons to pop it off like I've seen in other threads.

I'd like to put a bayonet lug on my rifle, and my understanding is that in order to do this, I would need to get that brake and the front sight off the rifle.

As such, I'm wondering if anyone has ever taken one of these brakes off, or if that is even possible without destroying the brake/gun?

I'd post a picture, but unfortunately the only camera I have is a grainy cell phone camera that would not have sufficient resolution to capture the intricacies of this mechanism.

I will do my utmost to describe it verbally if I have not been clear enough already.

Thank you and God bless you,
    David

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    David, see if you can take a picture or pictures and post them.

Most AK brakes have left handed threads so you will have to turn to the right to take them off. If it still does not budge, it may be loctited so you should heat up the brake with a torch to break the loctite.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks miggy. I'll try that.

I did notice on the underside of the brake is a notch with what looks like 2 tiny pins. However, they are not going into the barrel. I'll try to draw a diagram:

====^|=|=|=
    . .

Ok...that's crude but = is the barrel, | is the slots of the brake, and the two .'s are the little pins. Oh, and ^ is the front sight. Like I said, it's crude.

I tried to tap those pins out with an awl and hammer but no go. Does this mean the brake is "pinned" and cannot be removed? Am I running a serious risk of damaging the gun if I try to remove it?

Thanks for your input and feedback.

I don't think you will be able to turn the muzzle brake until you remove the pins. They don't go into the barrel actually, but the bottom of the barrel likely has notches the pins fit into like half moons. Those pins may be tapered and need to come out one way only. If you use a steel awl, it will make things worse. Try a brass punch with hammer. I'm not sure if the SLR-101S was made during the '94 AWB or not. If so, it may be pinned and welded, and I'm not sure you can have a bayonet lug installed on it once you remove the brake.

Ram Rod,

I'm pretty sure this is a brand new rifle, though I may be mistaken. At any rate, I don't have any of these specialty tools. I'm a 26 year old recent grad school graduate with no money, no tool shop, and a grim future if the Rule of Law breaks down in the next 6 months as I suspect it shall.

I'll just go with duct tape for the time being and hope I can get some better tools in the near future.

Thanks,
    David

David: Check your PM's

VIP Member
    I am guessing you have one like this?

And one without the brake.

So I think Ram Rod is in the right and it will be a bear to work with it
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by 1John5vs7 View Post
    Ram Rod,

I'm pretty sure this is a brand new rifle, though I may be mistaken. At any rate, I don't have any of these specialty tools. I'm a 26 year old recent grad school graduate with no money, no tool shop, and a grim future if the Rule of Law breaks down in the next 6 months as I suspect it shall.

I'll just go with duct tape for the time being and hope I can get some better tools in the near future.

Thanks,
    David
    You might check Harbor freight or a discount tool place for a small brass drift,like RamRod said look at the pins and one end should be slightly bigger than the other,whack the small end and tap them outyou will want to support the barrel on something solid with a rag to prevent marking up the finish
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First of all, a funny link for you: Let me google that for you

Second - According to the company the brake is pinned on - so you will just need some wood, a rag, the proper punches, and a big hammer. I suggest brass punches - it makes you feel better when you're really whaling away on an expensive gun.

Austin

Links