Remington 870 7 shot...should I get it? - Page 2

Remington 870 7 shot...should I get it?

This is a discussion on Remington 870 7 shot...should I get it? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I grew up shooting a 20 gauge semi-auto at clays, pheasants, ducks, quail, dove, etc... When we got tags for sandhill crane, I fired off ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 870 7 shot...should I get it?

I grew up shooting a 20 gauge semi-auto at clays, pheasants, ducks, quail, dove, etc...
    When we got tags for sandhill crane, I fired off a few 3" shells from an 870, and the recoil was significantly more (obviously), but I don't really have a frame of reference to compare that to the standard 12.

Appreciate the advice on 3.5" shells anyway...I'm a little surprised by the overwhelming response that they're too big; more almost always equals better!

However, I missed the window on this buy...I'm not one to buy w/out having a good understanding of the market first, and I'm sure I'll be able to find it at this price again before too long. It was only discounted ~$30 anyway, and I haven't even shopped at my favorite guns only shop yet, who seem to undersell everyone.

I spent a little time last night looking for other options, and it found a comparable high capacity shotgun, the Mossberg 590 which comes w/ a 20" barrel (instead of the 870s 18"), and has room for one more shell in its magazine.

I believe mag extensions are available for both, yes?
    And both can be afixed with a picatinny rail or a flashlight mount?

Quote Originally Posted by batpot View Post
    Appreciate the advice on 3.5" shells anyway...I'm a little surprised by the overwhelming response that they're too big; more almost always equals better!
    Well, if you are using a 30-30 to shoot rabbits, a 30-06 is bigger, but is it better?

You may want to consider buying a standard 870 with a 26 or 28 inch barrel and then buy a 18 inch barrel for SD. That way you can shoot clays for fun and have a more versatile gun for about the same money. Last year I bought an 870 for $240 and an 18 inch barrel for $110. And if 5 rounds of 00 buck is not enough for you, then you should use the 30-06 on the rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    You may want to consider buying a standard 870 with a 26 or 28 inch barrel and then buy a 18 inch barrel for SD. That way you can shoot clays for fun and have a more versatile gun for about the same money.
    that's not a bad idea at all.

...so what would be wrong w/ getting a mag extension that's just a couple inches longer than the barrel?

looks like I'm getting an 870...

Mentioned to my dad that I was looking for a shotgun and he sends back the following:
    "Come to think of it, the 870 is YOURS. I bought it for you on your 18th birthday and you signed the paperwork. I think it has a 26" barrel with choke tubes."
    I had totally forgot about that!
    He's got a Mossberg, and the 870 is just sitting in the safe collecting dust.
    FREAKIN AWESOME!

So now that I've got a little bit of spare coinage, I'm looking to accessorize it a bit...
    Going to get a mag extension, shorter barrel, picatinny foregrip for a light, and maybe a pistol grip, either a speedfeed or folding stock to hold a few more shells...

any other essentials?

Also, can anyone tell me what this is for??:
    MidwayUSA - Remington Handguard 870 FBI Matte

I guess you mean the Express Synthetic 7 shot?
    I love mine. was about $280 + tax about 9 months ago, so your price isn't out of line, I'd think:

edit: oops, sorry, didn't somehow read your last post till now.

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    I love mine. was about $280 + tax about 9 months ago, so your price isn't out of line, I'd think:
    Hey OhShoot,

Where did you get that deal? I live in TN and have been looking around for a good 870. The cheapest price I've been able to find has been a used standard 870 express with a synthetic stock for $250. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    Hey OhShoot,

Where did you get that deal? I live in TN and have been looking around for a good 870. The cheapest price I've been able to find has been a used standard 870 express with a synthetic stock for $250. Thanks
    Prices have been going up dramatically in the last year or so (thanks to fear mongering due to the ensuing democratic administration). Supply:Demand
    You should expect to add ~25-33% to a good price from 9 months ago...seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post

edit: oops, sorry, didn't somehow read your last post till now.
    That'd be the one I was looking at.
    (haha...zombie gun)

What foregrip & flashlight mount is that?

I was going to egg you on in purchasing the 870. The price seems about right for the market now. I got mine from my FFL for $330, but then he doesn't have overhead. Anyways, congrats on the 870! The Express Synthetic 7-shot is a fine shotgun and will serve you well. I have one but it takes a back seat to my 870P.

The last couple "new" 870 Express Synthetic 7-shot models I've seen, as well as mine, came with the shortened fore end, not the one shown in OhShoot's picture. They look like this:

The shortened fore end seems to be the preferable one, since it allows for sidesaddle mounts and other gizmos. When it comes to a flashlight mount, I think the best way to go is the Surefire Forend WeaponLight. Yes they are a little costly, but they are the best system I've seen and very durable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links