Pistol Grip Shotguns

Pistol Grip Shotguns

This is a discussion on Pistol Grip Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased a set of pistol grip shotguns: a Mossberg 12 gauge and a Mossberg 20 gauge. Since my prior experience with shotguns is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Grip Shotguns

Pistol Grip Shotguns

I just purchased a set of pistol grip shotguns: a Mossberg 12 gauge and a Mossberg 20 gauge.

Since my prior experience with shotguns is with buttstock style, I am interested in the best way to aim these guns. Shooting from the hip seems against all reason in regards to a sight picture, and holding the grip with one hand while bracing that forearm with the other hand seems unreasonable to gain a steady aim.

I would appreciate your thoughts on aiming these fine defensive weapons.

Capt. Art

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've never been a fan of pistol grip shotguns, for exactly that reason. The best way to shoot any gun is by looking down the sights, which requires that it be approximately level with your head.

With pistols and small-caliber folding stock rifles, this is easy - just hold the gun exactly how you would if you had an invisible buttstock. But for a large-caliber rifle or shotgun, I've found I really need that buttstock support to quickly manage the recoil and re-aquire the target for a follow-up shot.

I'm a small guy, and firing a 12ga off-hand hurts, but if you're a big enough guy, it's workable. Just hold it the same way you would shoulder an AR, and be prepared for it to jump back towards your nose.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Shooting from the hip is the only way to do it. Otherwise the gun is going all over the place.

Accuracy can be good or bad depending on you. Some people have a knack for shooting at the hip. I wasn't that bad at it. Try and see.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Get a folding stock that comes with a Pistol grip. You'll get the best of both worlds......

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I have a mossberg 500 when i bought it was just with the pistol grip and i must say i prefer it with a stock I put a knoxx spec-ops stock on mine.
    Attached Images

There are only three times when a pistol grip on a shotgun makes any sense; 1. You need to store the weapon in a small place 2. The weapon is used as a breaching tool 3. The weapon is to be used in tight quarters and VERY close range. Those being said, any one or all three are still best served by a folding stock of some kind.

I used to think the pistol grip was bad a$$ looking...until I actually had to deploy one on a warrant service (no shooting thank God). It dawned on me then that if I had to use it I'd probably just make a real loud miss. Since then my shotguns have had full or folding stocks
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Senior Moderator
    I would rather have a folding stock shotgun than a pistol grip.

The only advantage of a pistol grip shotgun is the ability to store it a less space.

You gain the same beneifit with a folding stock and do not have any of the disadvantages
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I'll try to explain

I did learn acouple of techniques for shooting a PG shotgun. I'll try to describe. Sorry, but I can't post pictures, I'm at work. The methods do work, but I would startt with the 20ga you have 1st to make sure you can safely control the recoil. 1st, Holding the fore end in your left hand, fully extend your arm until it's straight out with the elbow locked. If your knuckles are pointed at the ground you will notice the gun is slightly turned at an angle and the barrel and receiver rest along the inside of your arm. Hold the pistol grip with your right hand. You will actually sight along the side of the barrel, not with the bead. You don't get a conventional sight picture, but you do index the gun with the barrel and that's way better than hipshooting. You must maintain a good grip to avoid getting hit in the face, that's why I'd start with the 20ga.

The second method is to hold your right arm tight against your side, bent with your wrist bent and your hand against your pectoral muscle just in front of your armpit. Brace that hand and arm against the side of your chest. Brace your left arm against your left chest and hold the fore end. Both elbows should point straight down and your arms should squeeze your chest a little. The gun is aligned with your body and you can get decent hits by indexing on the target with your body. Ayoob described it well in his Stressfire 2 book.

This works with any big "pistol" Kel Tec PLRs, Tec9s, Underfolder AKs, etc. It's enough for close range, practice practice practice.

And yes, like almost everybody else, I prefer a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by charliefox View Post
    There are only three times when a pistol grip on a shotgun makes any sense; 1. You need to store the weapon in a small place 2. The weapon is used as a breaching tool 3. The weapon is to be used in tight quarters and VERY close range.
    I don't see why you list #2. If stocks are so good, one on a breaching gun would be wise also.
    I do agree with #1 and #3, which is why I have a PG shotgun.

A tactical collapsible type stock is the way to go. You have the pistol grip ergonomics and the control of a stock. Good luck.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I don't see why you list #2. If stocks are so good, one on a breaching gun would be wise also.
    I do agree with #1 and #3, which is why I have a PG shotgun.
    Have you ever used a shotgun as a breaching tool?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you all for your informative responses.

Fortunately, each of these shotguns also has a stock, as I was afraid of the problems that you all described with a pistol grip only situation.

I may try some of the tips with the 20 gauge, but I am certain that the stock goes on the 12 gauge tonight.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Have you ever used a shotgun as a breaching tool?
    I see you want to change the subject. I guess you don't have an answer.
    My question still stands.

VIP Member
    I think the point he was trying to make is that if you haven't done it you probably don't know what you're talking about.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the point he was trying to make is that if you haven't done it you probably don't know what you're talking about.
    Yup. Thats what I was getting at.

And I didnt change the subject at all... Just what was the question that still stands? I'm sure I have an answer, but you have to ask it first.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links