Newbie Sling Question

Newbie Sling Question

This is a discussion on Newbie Sling Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive never owned a sling before and am unsure of the science behind all the hardware required to mount a sling on a shotgun. I ...

Thread: Newbie Sling Question

Newbie Sling Question

Ive never owned a sling before and am unsure of the science behind all the hardware required to mount a sling on a shotgun.

I have:

Front thingy

and this little hole on the stock Id assume is related to mounting something.

so what I need to know is.

a)what hardware exactly do I need to buy to mount this Blackhawk 2 Point Sling

b)what kind of swivels (and whatever else is needed) do you recommend? Does it really matter?

Thank you and please excuse my ignorance
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You need these:

Swivels

Not neccessarily those particular ones, and you should be able to find them at any sporting goods store that sells firearms accessories.

And the thingy in front is called a stud.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

and they will just pop onto the stud and the hole in the stock?
    what does the different kinds of screws mean?
    such as
    this
    and
    this
    and ones with no screw

-Clint Smith

Yes. They install in the hole in the stock and the hole in the stud. You do this by loosening the set screw on the swivel (if equiped, the third one you show is a quick connect style), squeezing the end so that the piece that goes in the hole is exposed and rotating the locking piece out of the way. Insert the piece that goes in the hole and then reverse the process to close and secure it on.

The first two with the screws are meant for screwing into a stock like you would a bolt. You do not wont those.

The third one is for installing on a stud ("thingy", or the "hole" all ready in the rear part of the stock).

The third style is what you are looking for. They come in some different forms like quick connect, locking screw, yada yada. You can get them where the metal is flat or the metal is round. Its really amazing how many flavors one simple componet can come in.

The third one that you linked to looks like a quick connect style, and that is not a bad way to go.

The process is pretty self explanatory once you have them all in hand. Takes just seconds to put them on. Hours (it seems) to adjust your sling so that it fits you just right.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; March 13th, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: for a little more detail
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Thanks for the info!

-Clint Smith

No problem. Never be afraid to ask a question. Everyone here is really helpful.

Besides, the advantage of the internet is that if any one points and laughs, its going to be at the screen and not at you.

Good luck, and post pictures when you are all set up.

Links