AR Conversion to Pistol ?

This is a discussion on AR Conversion to Pistol ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my AR into the gun shop today to have some accessories added, about $350.00 worth + $100.00 in labor to put them on, ...

Thread: AR Conversion to Pistol ?

AR Conversion to Pistol ?

I took my AR into the gun shop today to have some accessories added, about $350.00 worth + $100.00 in labor to put them on, The gun shop just called and wanted to trade my Grizzly lower for a new RRA lower. They said my lower can be used to convert my rifle into a pistol. They will also knock off $100 off the parts and do the labor for free. Since I am not that savvy with regards to the conversion of my AR to a pistol, I was just wondering if making this trade is a good deal or not. I donít know if I would ever do the conversion to a pistol, or whatís all involve, but I thought I would throw it out to the experts and make sure I am not making a mistake.

They told me that with the RRA lower, I would not be able to convert to a pistol any longer.

2. Remove Ads

I don’t know much about the conversion, or about the quality of the Grizzly vs. the RRA lower. My question would be WHY are they making this offer?

My understanding is that converting it to a pistol makes it a “restricted” weapon and requires a special license to have it done. That, in and of itself, is not enough for me to understand the offer. Does the gun shop want your Grizzly lower? Do they have somebody that wants to do this conversion? Is Ohio one of those states that requires you to register your weapons? If so, what impact would this have on that registration?

Remember that the lower IS the gun, this is where the serial number is on an AR.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    To my knowledge, if the lower is a "virgin" reviever, meaning it has never been built into a rifle by having a buttstock attached to it, it can be built into a pistol with no more hassle or special steps than a normal AR rifle build. It's not an SBR, and as long as you don't put a vertical foregrip on it, it's not an AOW, so no NFA registration, special licenses, or other restrictions.

If you wanted to use a reciever you already have built into a rifle as a pistol, you would have to SBR it and pay the $200 to uncle sam.

In your case, it sounds like your gun shop is trying to do you a favor by trading you a virgin lower that can be built into a pistol for your non-virgin rifle lower. This would be perfectly legal to build into a pistol so long as neither you or they ever put a buttstock on it. RRA makes perfectly good lowers, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The real question is: do you want an AR pistol? If you do, this might be a good opportunity. If you want a rifle, this might be an excuse to buy another one and end up with both.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigV View Post
    I took my AR into the gun shop today to have some accessories added, about $350.00 worth + $100.00 in labor to put them on, The gun shop just called and wanted to trade my Grizzly lower for a new RRA lower. They said my lower can be used to convert my rifle into a pistol. They will also knock off $100 off the parts and do the labor for free. Since I am not that savvy with regards to the conversion of my AR to a pistol, I was just wondering if making this trade is a good deal or not. I donít know if I would ever do the conversion to a pistol, or whatís all involve, but I thought I would throw it out to the experts and make sure I am not making a mistake.
    They told me that with the RRA lower, I would not be able to convert to a pistol any longer.
    If an AR15 receiver comes from the factory as part of a RIFLE , it
    can NEVER BE A PISTOL.

If you BUY an AR15 stripped receiver and THE FIRST BUILD is as a
    RIFLE - It Can NEVER BE A PISTOL.

I would not deal with this FFL any more.......
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Agreed with the others. The law is that there are "pistol" lowers which are designated that way from the factory, and there are "rifle" lowers. Once they're built as one, they can never be converted to the other.

If you go through with this, ask for an explanation in writing so that it never comes back to you. It's possible that they want to build a registered SBR, but there's no reason they'd need your lower for that.

Is your lower marked as a pistol lower? Is it by chance a registered short barrel rifle? Pictures of the lower might help here.

Administrator
    Why would you want an AR pistol?

I dunno maybe you do. I sure would never want one though.

I'd politely tell them "Thanks" But, No Thanks!"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Agreed with the others. The law is that there are "pistol" lowers which are designated that way from the factory, and there are "rifle" lowers. Once they're built as one, they can never be converted to the other.
    Actually, that's not quite true. A pistol reciever can be built into a rifle after its initial build, but once any reciever is used in a rifle (ie. once is has a buttstock on it), it can never be rebuilt as a pistol.

Some lowers are marked pistol, but they are not required to be. All that is required to build an AR pistol is to have that lower be entered as a "rifle/pistol" or "bare reciever" (I forget what the latest form looks like) on the 4473 when you buy it.

It sounds to me like the shop is offering to build him an AR pistol using a new virgin reciever and parts from his rifle (upper, BCG, etc), which is perfectly legal. The only question is whether that's what he wants to do.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Actually, that's not quite true. A pistol reciever can be built into a rifle after its initial build, but once any reciever is used in a rifle (ie. once is has a buttstock on it), it can never be rebuilt as a pistol.

Some lowers are marked pistol, but they are not required to be. All that is required to build an AR pistol is to have that lower be entered as a "rifle/pistol" or "bare reciever" (I forget what the latest form looks like) on the 4473 when you buy it.

It sounds to me like the shop is offering to build him an AR pistol using a new virgin reciever and parts from his rifle (upper, BCG, etc), which is perfectly legal. The only question is whether that's what he wants to do.
    I agree with Bob on this.

I have built one AK as a pistol. And we simply listed the receiver as "Receiver" on the 4473. And of course I kept the receipt for the transfer FFL which we also listed as a "receiver".

I also sound like to me this Shop is saying they will build him a pistol but want to use a virgin receiver which is fine. And I guess they are going to trade him his Receiver and build a rifle off of it. This would be just like trading the entire gun since thats the Firearm legally. However the OP seems to state things a little differently so we both could be wrong. But I think the OP just has his info a bit off on what they are offering. I think they really are offering him a Virgin receiver and selling him on the idea that if he wanted they could build him a pistol because that choice is now there. And for some reason they really want his RRA receiver.

If i understand the OP the shop wants his original lower so they can build a rifle not for the OP just for them and in turn they want to trade him 200 bucks and a RRA lower. i say do it seems like a good deal RRA makes a quality lower and 200 bucks is good to.

Of course this all hinges on the fact you know and trust the gun shop and they arent trying to pawn a stolen lower on you or some crap

Administrator
    "And for some reason they really want his RRA receiver."

Maybe it's just me but, I smell a rat.
    I don't know exactly where the rat is hiding but, I smell him.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "And for some reason they really want his RRA receiver."

Maybe it's just me but, I smell a rat.
    I don't know exactly where the rat is hiding but, I smell him.
    His Grizzly lower must be registered as an SBR. So they will trade a new RRA and money to get it. Maybe this is easier for them than going through whatever hassle to register a new SBR lower? Or less waiting time?

To the OP: you should find out exactly what you have and what they are offering. It seems strange that any gun shop would call and offer a trade out of the blue unless they are going to come out ahead somehow. They are in business to make a profit, not to offer 'even Steven' trades.

the OP has a grizzly lower they want to give him a RRA lower. I do wonder why though? a lower is a lower.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Please let me clarify from my original post. I took my AR rifle in to have some accessories added to it. The gun shop called me at home and asked it I would be willing to trade them my Grizzly lower for a new RRA lower. My Grizzly lower is marked ďpistolĒ and they said they were having a difficult time getting lowers to make into pistols and there was a high demand for them. After some investigation (thanks to the posts here and else ware) I am led to believe that once a lower (marked pistol or otherwise) has been equipped with a shoulder mounted stock, it could never be converted to a pistol. Based on that information I declined their offer and told them why. They claim I was given erroneous information since the lower was marked pistol it could be converted even though it was registered as a rifle. I have my rifle back with the original Grizzly lower still intact.

Links