I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant....

This is a discussion on I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Fastball My questions are, any solutions for modern scope/sight system on the AR platform for my dilema?? Could a quad rail be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant....

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    My questions are, any solutions for modern scope/sight system on the AR platform for my dilema?? Could a quad rail be mounted with the scope hanging on the side like a tac light? I did a search and someone mentioned a parallax free scope.
    You probably could come up with some contraption, but it is going to be pretty big and in the way. It will block your vision of what is in front of the gun. Also, firing at long ranges will be challenging as your sighting system will "offset" from the bore. Remember your bullet path and line of sight are different, especially at long ranges. If you put your sights/scope off on the side of the gun, it will greatly complicate precision shooting at long distances. (read about sighting system offset, cant, and think about having to adjust windage to different distances!!!). It really becomes messy quickly....

Parallax is an optical problem where if you look through the scope from a different angle (like moving your head left/right) the image will bend and will appear to have a different point of impact. Eotechs, and and Aimpoints are essentially parallaxe free so your head position is not so important. (although the viewing window is sill less then 2 inches and you still have to look through it)

Thanks in advance and no, after 40yrs of being a rightie, going southpaw is not an option.
    Well, I too am a lefty in a right handed world. Southpaw is probably your best option. AR's work great left handed (be sure to get a an A3 style upper with a brass deflector by the ejection port and get an ambi saftey). Vision is the hardest to change shooting skill, muscle memory can be learned with time and practice. Spend a few weeks and try it out.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm right handed, can't see much out of right eye. I learned to shoot rifles left handed but that was on a .22lr; don't know if it would work for an AR.

I shoot pistols with either hand and practice a lot to shoot lefty. But since I started pistol shooting late in life, I am never quite as comfortable and natural as with right hand shooting.

There are no easy answers. Just practice till you get comfortable or find some positions that work for you.

P.S. I find it uncomfortable when people refer to themselves as freaks. Even not meeting knowing you, I doubt you are a freak. Don't call yourself names.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'm the reverse...left handed, right eyed......

Here is something that may help.....You are wearing eye protection aren't you?....If not WHY NOT?.....what you can do is put a small piece of scotch tape (the frosted kind) on your dominate eye's lens. This will force you weaker eye to focus on the sights, since your dominate one will be seeing 'frosting'.

This will get your weak eye familiar with being used for the sight & soon you will be able to keep both eyes open & your weak eye now has 'trained' your brain......
    This is the way to go. It takes time to do it but it will work. The only other choice is to go left handed. You may not like either and neither will be easy at first. Between the two choices I chose to shoot left handed. You will have to decide what is best for you.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I really appreciate the quick responses, gang. Really!!

Call me stubborn/hard headed, etc.,....but, left handed shooting is not an option here. My mechanics are sound right handed and if I had a SHTF situation, I feel very strongly my thought process would naturally go to my right handed domination. Then I'm back to winking at the BG.

C'mon Fastball, don't knock it till you try it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Its good to shoot a long gun left handed and a handgun right handed - it makes for very fast transitions. All you need to do is shoulder the weapon and present it a few hundred (or thousand) times, practice a few reloads and you'll be set.

Its only my opinion but if you try to trick your eyes into doing what they aren't designed to do they'll revert back to normal when you least expect (and want) them too.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    C'mon Fastball, don't knock it till you try it.

This is awesome! I can't thank you guys enough for your input!!! I really like the tape on my glasses suggestion, (yeah, eyes and ears always covered!). It sounds like a plan!

I'm sure I can retrain my eyes the more I think about this southpaw stuff. No offense, lefties!

I just won a NIB S&W M&P15 chambered for 5.45x39 on GunBroker a couple of hours ago, so the ball is already rolling.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

The scotch tape IS a good idea.......never thought of that.

I just 'closed' my left eye, then opened it while still consentrating on 'using' my right eye.

I think I'll try that before I attempt to use it as a training tool for others.

I LOVE the info you guys share on this fourm!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When I shoot a rifle right handed. I tear off a peice of used target ot something, and put it over my left eye.

I still shoot better on the left side though.

VIP Member

This is awesome! I can't thank you guys enough for your input!!! I really like the tape on my glasses suggestion, (yeah, eyes and ears always covered!). It sounds like a plan!

I'm sure I can retrain my eyes the more I think about this southpaw stuff. No offense, lefties!

I just won a NIB S&W M&P15 chambered for 5.45x39 on GunBroker a couple of hours ago, so the ball is already rolling.
    For the record it will take more work to train your eyes than it will to shoot left handed. As a bonus when you learn to use both sides you have no weak side. I shoot almost as well from my weak side with a rifle, with a handgun I have no weak side. Then if you ever do (God forbid) get into a gunfight you will be able to use available cover to the maximum extent while still being able to put rounds down range.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I have to agree with shooting left handed. My wife has this problem too. At 32, we switched her to shooting everything left hand. It was work for awhile, but now she shoots shotgun, bows and rifles all left. She is still working on handguns but is getting better all the time. I coach kids in archery and the first thing we do when we get a new kid is check what eye is dominent. We start them on a bow for that side.

I have same problem, 2choices, shoot left handed, go to a Flents eye patch sold at Walmarts. Pistols no problem, Rifle, went to eyepatch, switched to left hand, switched back to eye patch. I don't shoot rifle that often, so IMHO do what fits YOU!!!

Hi, my name is Eric, and I'm right handed but left eye dominant. (Hi Eric)

I shoot RH/LE with pistols, but RH/RE with long guns. In the Army, my Drill Sergeant spotted it during M-16 training and taped a card over my left eye (on the kevlar) to help train me. It worked rather well. When I did handgun training, I reverted. If I shoot RH/RE with pistols, I'm a lousy shot for some reason...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Your not a freak, just a small number of people are opposite handed of their dominant eye. My brother is that way, doesn't shoot rifles as well as a pistol, but he learned to focus his non dominant eye enough to shoot well. Might not shoot 2 inch shot groups but shoots adaqutely.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links