I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant....

This is a discussion on I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I stated in the title I am right handed, but left eye dominant. This has never been a problem with pistol shooting, I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant....

I'm a Freak,..Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant....

As I stated in the title I am right handed, but left eye dominant. This has never been a problem with pistol shooting, I just tilt the head a bit and bring the pistol over a bit and I do really well with a pistol. But it reaks havoc with me on a long gun.

2 weeks ago I got the chance to shoot one of the new S&W MP15's at a demo range day. I really loved the AR platform and am now, (like everyone else), looking to buy one. While the instructor was walking me through the workings of the weapon, he informed of the EOTech sight mounted on it and how it worked. Sounded cool! However, I had a terrible time trying to find the dot and circle when I shouldered the weapon. I had to ask him twice, "Is this thing on?". Once I was able to locate it, I saw 2 or 3 targets down range. Everytime I shot a round, I had to pull my cheek away and refocus my eyes to try to locate the blasted dot again!!

I am a big believer in keeping both eyes open when at the range , because if a SHTF situation arises, I'm not going to be thinking about winking.

My questions are, any solutions for modern scope/sight system on the AR platform for my dilema?? Could a quad rail be mounted with the scope hanging on the side like a tac light? I did a search and someone mentioned a parallax free scope.

Thanks in advance and no, after 40yrs of being a rightie, going southpaw is not an option.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

Were you shooting the M&P with your dominant eye? Generally, with rifles it's better to just ignore handedness and mount it on the dominant eye side.

You should shoot a rifle left handed. I'm the same way, and it works great for me. I grew up with my right eye being nearsighted and learned to shoot rifles left handed, and recently I had laser eye surgery so now I'm 20-20 - but its still more natural for me to shoot left handed just because of all the muscle memory. You'll get used to it with practice and it will become natural. Trying to teach your eyes to work the way they don't want to would be much harder.

Austin

I'm the same way. Kind of strange but i shoot long guns left handed and pistols right handed. It's what is comfortable to me..... might want to give it a try.

I had the same problem before as I'm right eye dominant and left handed. I'd say about 15 years ago I just started forcing myself to shoot right handed with long guns and now shooting right handed feels very natural. It's probably so easy for me because I was still pretty young at the time.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well as the previous posters give their testament, your problem is actually pretty common.

The best advice is to learn to shoot a long gun on the same side as your eye dominance.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I really appreciate the quick responses, gang. Really!!

Call me stubborn/hard headed, etc.,....but, left handed shooting is not an option here. My mechanics are sound right handed and if I had a SHTF situation, I feel very strongly my thought process would naturally go to my right handed domination. Then I'm back to winking at the BG.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I was in the same boat as you for years and years...refusing to shoot lefty (also my dominant eye) because the feel is more natural in my right. I was in that boat, until I tried lefty shooting one day just last fall and found that my groups were about HALF the size! After that session, I swore that I'd never shoot a long gun righty again...handling lefty is going to become second nature if it kills me. Just need more range time, which will be easier now that warmer weather is coming.

Try shooting from a rest, both lefty and righty. That comfy handling isn't going to mean anything when SHTF if you can't hit nothin.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Another option would be to roll the weapon about 45 degrees to port (or cock the head to startboard, or a combination of both), which would bring the sight under the dominant eye.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    My questions are, any solutions for modern scope/sight system on the AR platform for my dilema?? Could a quad rail be mounted with the scope hanging on the side like a tac light? I did a search and someone mentioned a parallax free scope.

Thanks in advance and no, after 40yrs of being a rightie, going southpaw is not an option.
    Alrighty here we go........

I'm with you on the 'freakieness' of your plight. I'm ambidextrious, but favor my left most of the time (golf, hitting, throwing, etc., etc.)
    however I use my 'right' side for other things (writing, shooting, etc.)

I'm VERY left-eye dominant.

I just 'trained' myself by closing my left eye during slow, controled shooting, then open the left eye, foucsing on using my right eye, then just expanding the use of the right eye during more advanced drills.
    I did this MANY moons ago as a teen when I recognized my 'freakieness'. It's very natural for me to use the right eye now.

The 'trick' is too find a way for you to just use your right eye during shooting drills. Every range trip, use just your right eye (closing your left eye) and start slowly.....bulls-eye drills...then multiple shot drills.....then 'open' the left eye but using/focusing only the right eye and, again, doing the slow bulls-eye and multi-shot drills, then moving to more 'advanced.

It'll take some time, but 'training' yourself to use your right eye will become natural when you pick up your handgun or rifle.

Hope this works for you.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Call me stubborn/hard headed, etc.,....but, left handed shooting is not an option here. My mechanics are sound right handed and if I had a SHTF situation, I feel very strongly my thought process would naturally go to my right handed domination. Then I'm back to winking at the BG.
    Your mechanics are much easier to fix than eye dominance (particularly a strong eye dominance like yours seems to be). It's time for some dry fire practice. LOTS of dry fire practice (it takes around 3000 repetitions to ingrain something in your muscle memory). So, mount the gun, squeeze off a dry shot, do a reload, transition to pistol, repeat. Do this for a while every day a couple of months and you'll be able to run the gun just fine left handed.

If your body tells you to change up, you should really consider doing it. I am left eye dominant, and right handed. I don't have a choice to shoot long guns left handed because I cant shut my left eyelid by itself (never damage) but I can shut it together with the right. Anyway. I can shoot right handed with an eye patch over my left eye, otherwise, its a major no go. Left handed is easy for my eyes, yet not so easy for a natural body posture. Heres the clincher. I am a much better shooter on the left side, so that seals the deal for me. I can always work on my posture and stance.

If you want to expand your abilities for self defense and to cover different shooting situations, train yourself to shoot both left and right handed. Learn to use both eyes. You will need it for corner clearing or covered shooting. Don't limit it to only long guns - expand to hand guns. It's fun and you may need it for real life - you will need it for 3 Gun, USPSA and IDPA.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    I'm the reverse...left handed, right eyed......

Here is something that may help.....You are wearing eye protection aren't you?....If not WHY NOT?.....what you can do is put a small piece of scotch tape (the frosted kind) on your dominate eye's lens. This will force you weaker eye to focus on the sights, since your dominate one will be seeing 'frosting'.

This will get your weak eye familiar with being used for the sight & soon you will be able to keep both eyes open & your weak eye now has 'trained' your brain......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    I'm the same way. Kind of strange but i shoot long guns left handed and pistols right handed. It's what is comfortable to me..... might want to give it a try.
    Same here. When I bring the pistol up it naturally aligns with my left eye. Never has caused a problem.

Dad taught me how to shoot left handed with long guns when I was a kid without even thinking about it. He's blind in his right eye and never payed any attention to it when he taught me. So it is natural for me to do it that way and always has been. It worked out good, since I ended up being left eye dominant anyway.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links