What do you like on your scatter gun?

This is a discussion on What do you like on your scatter gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Savage I got for Christmas back when I was in school, pretty generic, but works like a charm, I can't find accesories ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you like on your scatter gun?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

I have a Savage I got for Christmas back when I was in school,

pretty generic, but works like a charm, I can't find accesories anywhere for it, so I am asking what are the more popular mods for home defense. Aside from a pistol grip stock and forgrip, I think the rest can be made to fit with out buying a new gun.

But do many of you perfer the pistol grip or would you rather have the full stock. Never had the chance to try one and see how it feels, much less try to shoot it.

And aside from turning corners in the home, (CQB style) is their much benifit to less than 28" bbl.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Usually a Rem. 870 or mossberg 500 for mods. I have all sorts of mod acces. for those 2 guns. Personally I like a short 18" barrel and folding stock for HD. You can add shell holders,heatshield, lights, ext. mag tubes and many other options.
    The shorter barrels usually open the patten quicker too. I have a S&W 12 ga. I use right now. As for modding the grips, it's fairly hard to do, the rest are usually easy.
    Pistol grips seem much more comfortable holding the gun, unless you are shooting clays. They do transfer more recoil to you hand though.
    Attached Images

A bead on the front and standard stock on an 18 inch barrel.

It's easier to reload and nothing to snag.
    The Marshmallowist

i like either a bead or fiber optic and a pistol grip and adj buttstock ..

Ummmmm sometimes a little SALT can add to the flavor....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs down Pistol Grip on a SHOTTIE?

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son
    But do many of you perfer the pistol grip or would you rather have the full stock.
    I have ZERO use for any shotgun that has only a pistol grip. Full stock is the only way to go. Heck, my Benelli M121 has everything I could want: Sling, ghost ring sights, pro-port job and beautiful wood furniture! You'd have to look carefully to recognize a serious weapon designed for "social work." I think the only thing I might like to hang on it would be a bayonet lug, just in case....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

1952 - 2006
    I prefer a full stock to the pistol grip and an 18 to 20" barrel for HD.

One time I fired one of the Mossberg Maverick models with the pistol grip only. I shot, from the hip, a full power 00 buckshot load and thought I had broken my wrist. I'll never shoot a pistol grip only shotgun again.

IMO anything longer than a 20" barrel is too difficult to maneuver around the house with.

I like ghost ring sights with tritium insert in the front sight.

I favor the Mossberg because I like the location of both the safety and the action release controls over the 870.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I own, as far as I'm convinced, the optimal (not best but optimal) home defense shotgun. It's nothing more than Dad's Mossberg Security with a sidesaddle and a sling. About the only things it could possibly use is a light clamped onto the barrel and/or ghost ring sights.

But it's about as basic as you can get. I don't go in for folding stocks, aftermarket forends, pistol grips, none of that. I'm extremely boring when it comes to shotguns. I like a nice big stock I can actually hold onto in a nice boring configuration I've known since I was a child.

Assistant Administrator
    4my - IMO the best thing you can do with yours is shorten it down to 18 1/2 - keep you safe from cutting too fine and allows for good finish on muzzle. My 870 is 20" and is pretty wieldy - if you lost near 10" I am sure it would be way more handy!

I'd leave furniture as it is but add a slip on or similar deal for ammo holding. Sidesaddle even.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I've got a basic, 40+ year old Rem. 870 that I chopped down to a 20" barrel. Beyond that one minute "improvement", I don't see a need to change anything else.

Additional add-ons (to me) are just examples of good money being spent to accomplish the same thing that a stock weapon provides.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    IMHO this is the perfect defence shottie, but I am sorta partial to the Ithicas

Assistant Administrator
    That'll do just fine Bruce!!

I was trying to remember - is it CA that won't allow the SPAS? I shot one of those way back - what it lacked in finesse was made up for by looking real evil
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    I've got a basic, 40+ year old Rem. 870 that I chopped down to a 20" barrel. Beyond that one minute "improvement", I don't see a need to change anything else.

Additional add-ons (to me) are just examples of good money being spent to accomplish the same thing that a stock weapon provides.
    I have to disagree. A folding stock shotgun is way more handy in confined spaces Also some add ons improve the intended use. Spare ammo handy as well as a mounted light help depending on the task on hand.
    finally, and extended mag tube gives you more ammo without reloading.

Well I like either 870s or 1100s' with a mag extension with a anti-jam follower as I'm one of those big apes that could probably crunch up a 12ga round when my adrenilene is pumping.
    I also don't like my barrels any longer than 21" on any shotgun with 18" preffered.
    I do like slug sights for a home defense gun as I don't count on the pattern to open too much at inside ranges.
    Plus I'm more of a rifleman than a shotgunner though I can point shoot pretty good with a long gun.
    But out of habit I still look for the sights and I don't want to spend any fractions of a second looking for something that's not there if you know what I mean.

Administrator

I only have one Home Defensive Shotty these days

My Ithaca 37 with the DS POLICE Riot Barrel & adjustable sights.
    It's "BOX STOCK" other than that barrel.
    I am SERIOUSLY thinking about buying the CHOTE stock for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links