Help me find a home defense rifle

This is a discussion on Help me find a home defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just to put into perspective of in house shooting The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me find a home defense rifle

just to put into perspective of in house shooting

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I dunno... I figure SWAT teams have to worry about over penetration and bullets going into a neighboring dwelling when serving warrants... and they're all moving to ARs and shotguns... From what I've read of ballistics the .223/5.56 would be the least likely to over penetrate after going through drywall, insulation, plywood and siding/brick (if you're worried about neighbors). I'd say either would be a good choice, but with your budget you're out of AR range, though you could pick up a used Mini-14... a shot gun is a good choice and squarely in your range unless you decide you need a police line 870...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

For a serious HD rifle on the cheap I would seriously consider a lever action carbine in 30-30, .357 mag or .44 mag chambering. These can be serious contenders for home defense.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    While I have a slight preference for a .223/5.56 rifle, with a Mini-14 being preferable to an AR15 for HD*, I feel quite well-armed with a good shotgun loaded with low-recoil buckshot. I like to have some slugs and standard buckshot available for special purposes, but like to have low-recoil buck in the mag tube. I have seen a burglar that had been hit with birdshot that went through a hollow-core interior door. The damage was skin-deep. I will NEVER voluntarily depend on birdshot for HD/SD! FWIW, I am not an expert, but have worked big-city night shift police patrol for 25+, and have used shotguns in and around residential structures a time or two.

*I am not trying to start a Mini-14-vs.-AR15 debate. I have both, and like both just fine. At HD distance, a Mini is adequately accurate, and does not require the shooter to allow for the offset of the line-of-sight over bore axis. The AR15 is indeed the better all-around war-fighting weapon.
    Last edited by Rexster; April 2nd, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links