Help me find a home defense rifle

This is a discussion on Help me find a home defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to buy my first rifle. I would like for it to work well for home defense. I've been looking but the only ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a home defense rifle

Help me find a home defense rifle

I would like to buy my first rifle. I would like for it to work well for home defense. I've been looking but the only things I can find in my price range are either bolt action or the caliber is too small. I would like to keep the price under, or about, $400. I know that might not get me much though.

2. Remove Ads

Right off the top of my head, a SKS sounds like a good option.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Details ?

You didn't provide any info on the size of your estate, The proximity of other occupied dwellings, any alternate uses for the weapon (hunting, target shooting), your training and/or experience with long arms, whether or not you have evaluated a shotgun as a viable alternative to a rifle. Have you considered that maneuvering about inside the home in darkness is much more difficult with a long arm at the ready position as compared to a handgun? Are you looking at new or used firearms ? Have you considered a rifle chambered for a pistol round ?

For that price you may find a well used Mini 14 or SKS. Or perhaps a lever action 30-30 Marlin, etc. Otherwise, I'd guess a 7 shot shotgun or Ruger 10/22 is all you will find in that price range.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    For $400 or less you might can find a used AK or good condition SKS

your can get a good HD shotgun for less than $400 but rifles are limited
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Right off the top of my head, a SKS sounds like a good option.
    I just got one for $250 like 2 weeks ago. Better hurry cause I was in a different shop today and they are going for $350. I told the guy it wouldnt sell and he told me he sold two of them this week at $350.

So much for me getting a deal LOL

You can still find em online for $250... all day long.

For home defense I think a shot gun is a better choice but you asked for a rifle so yes, SKS.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    I'd agree that for HD a shotgun would be better than a rifle, but I'd go with a used gun, at that price for a rifle, you will be much more limited.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A Marlin 336SS would fit the bill...a good 'ole 30-30...it's my HD gun now.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 20th, 2009 at 01:46 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can still find em online for $250... all day long.
    Not to hijack the thread but where are these $250 SKSs I have been having a hard time finding one under $350
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Keltec SU16. Right around $399 in NC. They take standard AR mags, fold up for easy storage, and have other interchangable parts with the AR.

Now if you are talking $400 for the rifle and ammo. Then the SKS would be a good bet assuming you could find anything in stock. If you go that route though stick with the standard non-removeable magazine as for the most part the aftermarket kits are sub-par.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A Marlin 336SS would fit the bill...a goo 'ole 30-30...it's my HD gun now.
    2nd that. I have a little trapper with the 16" barrel that is pretty easy to move around with and it will get the job done.

SKS is good too. Ammo is a bit cheaper, but of lesser quality. Quality American made ammo for the SKS is higher than the 30-30.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper View Post
    Details ?

You didn't provide any info on the size of your estate, The proximity of other occupied dwellings, any alternate uses for the weapon (hunting, target shooting), your training and/or experience with long arms, whether or not you have evaluated a shotgun as a viable alternative to a rifle. Have you considered that maneuvering about inside the home in darkness is much more difficult with a long arm at the ready position as compared to a handgun? Are you looking at new or used firearms ? Have you considered a rifle chambered for a pistol round ?
    Woops, slipped my mind. Inside the house, the maximun distance I would need would be about 15 yards. Outside is maybe 40 yards. The closest neighboring house is about 10 yards away. The farthest is in the backyard at about 50-60 yards. I've only fired rifles a few times. I thought about shotguns, but I have shot more rifles, and know a little more about them than shotguns. I already have a pistol, and I've been wanting to get a rifle for a long time. I would like a caliber that is a good man-stopper (or wild dog or crazed deer for an extreme case) but won't break the bank to train with or just shoot for fun.

As a side question, Is it the .223 that can be fired from a 5.56 or is it vice versa? I can never remember.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    Woops, slipped my mind. Inside the house, the maximun distance I would need would be about 15 yards. Outside is maybe 40 yards. The closest neighboring house is about 10 yards away. The farthest is in the backyard at about 50-60 yards. I've only fired rifles a few times. I thought about shotguns, but I have shot more rifles, and know a little more about them than shotguns. I already have a pistol, and I've been wanting to get a rifle for a long time. I would like a caliber that is a good man-stopper (or wild dog or crazed deer for an extreme case) but won't break the bank to train with or just shoot for fun.

As a side question, Is it the .223 that can be fired from a 5.56 or is it vice versa? I can never remember.
    I could not imagine a scenario where a pump gun would be a better fit. Get a Mossbeg or Remington pump, add a sidesaddle, put a couple slugs in the sidesaddle and learn how to run the gun well. You'll be prepared for just about anything.

And the 223 thing is debatable but people say you should avoid running 5.56 in a true 223 chamber.

What guage would be good?

Lever acton 44 Mag rifle.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links