Remington 870 advice, please... - Page 2

Remington 870 advice, please...

This is a discussion on Remington 870 advice, please... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Great lookin' shotgun, HappyGunner! Look like the ultimate fighting shottie... And Thanks! for the links, Rob72......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 advice, please...

VIP Member
    Great lookin' shotgun, HappyGunner! Look like the ultimate fighting shottie...

And Thanks! for the links, Rob72...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a Magnum Express and a P model. The P model has a MUCH smoother action. The action bars on my Express are sprung a little wide. The finish is more durable on the P model and it doesn't have the plastic trigger guard. I found the P model for $179 in a local cop shop as a trade in.

The ghost ring sights will cost you $114 from Wilson Combat, IIRC. I believe that P model with GR sights officer price is normally right around $600.

All of that being said, the Express should serve you well. It just won't be as smooth as the P model and will have some plastic parts on it.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I need to add this about the side-saddle shell holders:

Make sure that you get the pins in perfectly straight with everything lined up. I had just the slightest of misallignment in mine once and it caused the action not to lock unless it was really slammed closed.

Also, make sure not to overtighten as you can bind the action. The only advantage to them over shell carriers on your belt is that the spare ammo is stored with the firearm and is grabbed when the firearm is grabbed.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Also, re the shell carriers. Use a coat or two of spray on Plati-Dip, from Home Depot, on the receiver side of the aluminum backplate, to reduce the finish wear on your receiver.

OD*
    Team American,

You've gotten some good advice here, can't add much, if anything. The only point I'll deviate from, is the use of side-saddle ammo carriers, I don't like them. I try to be simplistic when it comes to weapon repair and cleaning, with the side-saddles you have to have an allen wrench to remove the carrier to repair or clean your trigger group, that may or may not be available to you in the field.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

i have a express magnum myself, and i am 100% happy with it. Works great, holds 7 rounds for uninvited guests, and with a recoil pad and reduced recoil 00 buck, i can do follow up shots damn fast. And i am not a big guy either, i am 5'7 200 with scrawny arms (all that weight is the spare tire ).
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

VIP Member
    I wanted to thank everyone for thier input on this thread

After thinking it over, I'm going to go with the Police model for a couple of reasons:

1. Even though I would never wear out a Magnum Express model, I don't think that you can ever go wrong buying the higher quality product...everything I've read indicates that more quality control and better parts go into the P-models.

2. I'm breaking my New Year's resolution to not purchase any guns this year (well, I made it to February ) to make this purchase...might as well go all out and get a good one

But...I know I can stop after this one....

So, I called CDNN, and, of course, they are out of the SS Over-run Remingtons.

But, after doing some searches (mostly on The High Road website), I found a source in Idaho who will sell me the RE4449 Police:

Wilson Combat rear sight, XS front sight, speed-feed buttstock, etc.

I will post pics after I receive this shottie...probably next week.

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    I wanted to thank everyone for thier input on this thread

After thinking it over, I'm going to go with the Police model for a couple of reasons:

1. Even though I would never wear out a Magnum Express model, I don't think that you can ever go wrong buying the higher quality product...everything I've read indicates that more quality control and better parts go into the P-models.

2. I'm breaking my New Year's resolution to not purchase any guns this year (well, I made it to February ) to make this purchase...might as well go all out and get a good one

But...I know I can stop after this one....

So, I called CDNN, and, of course, they are out of the SS Over-run Remingtons.

But, after doing some searches (mostly on The High Road website), I found a source in Idaho who will sell me the RE4449 Police:

Wilson Combat rear sight, XS front sight, speed-feed buttstock, etc.

Got a link?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    Got a link?
    http://www.territorialsupplies.com/

Meant to add that to my post...

Team, are you a LEO? looks as if they only will sell to a LEO or a PD. What's the deal with that, are you able to buy as a Non-LEO? If so I want a P version.

http://territorialsupplies.com/Merch...tegory_Code=gs

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

VIP Member
    Ti, I'm not LEO...I made that clear to the fellow i spoke with (his name is Con). I think that Remington LE rifles are off limits to civilians, but they had no problem selling me 2 shotties...

The price was slightly higher than the "officer" price shown...I think that was part of the manufacturer increase they mention.

Assistant Administrator
    Look fwd to that Rick - sounding good.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ti, I'm not LEO...I made that clear to the fellow i spoke with (his name is Con). I think that Remington LE rifles are off limits to civilians, but they had no problem selling me 2 shotties...

The price was slightly higher than the "officer" price shown...I think that was part of the manufacturer increase they mention.

Well that cool, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't sell to civies but there acknowledgements seem as if they on will sell the 870P models to LEO's, I will have to look into getting one. I am in the market for an 870 and just about picked up an express before I saw your post.

What two are you getting, two 4449 models or 4449 and ?.

Thanks,

Ti.

VIP Member
    I'm getting 2 #4449's...they will be used for home/ranch defense at my brother's place outside Prescott, Arizona.

He is putting in a vineyard in an area with a lot of wildlife...the place is over-run with javelinas, and they have seen mountain lions and elk on their land. It is a somewhat remote location.

I'm hoping to re-locate to the Prescott area soon...a possible job opportunity exists. I'm also hoping that my brother appoints me to the position of "Chief of Vineyard Security and Assistant Wine Taster"

I'm getting 2 #4449's...they will be used for home/ranch defense at my brother's place outside Prescott, Arizona.

He is putting in a vineyard in an area with a lot of wildlife...the place is over-run with javelinas, and they have seen mountain lions and elk on their land. It is a somewhat remote location.

I'm hoping to re-locate to the Prescott area soon...a possible job opportunity exists. I'm also hoping that my brother appoints me to the position of "Chief of Vineyard Security and Assistant Wine Taster"
    No, No! you've got your prioritites all mixed up!!!!!!!!!

I would go for the "Chief" Wine Taster insuring quality control and "Assistant" Security guy.

Ti.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links