Remington 870 advice, please...

This is a discussion on Remington 870 advice, please... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to purchase an 870 in the very near future (actually 2...one will be a gift for my brother) and would like to solicit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 advice, please...

VIP Member

Remington 870 advice, please...

I'm going to purchase an 870 in the very near future (actually 2...one will be a gift for my brother) and would like to solicit opinions from this site. The shotguns will be used for home/ranch defense and will eventually be equipped with SureFire forends.

Should I go with the Magnum Express model that is available locally for about $280, or should I order the Police model (Secret Service Over-run!) from CDNN for $499? What would be the advantages of either, and am I overlooking another alternative?

Thanks for any input.

Rick
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Id go for the cheeper one myself

VIP Member
    The CDNN 870's come with ghost ring sights and speed-feed buttstock...are these important enough options to make a difference?

I kinda like the front bead on the Magnum Express, myself

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Me too. ATI makes products that can be used to customize a 870.

Assistant Administrator
    I have the Magnum ''Special Purpose'' - only because a guy locally was selling and I snapped it up. Nice 20" barrel - chambered 3" - and with mag extension a nice piece - oh and this one has Turkey sights too which I find excellent.

It was all but new and hardly shot so $250 didn't seem to bad.

Screw in choke potential and this one stays full choked!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Rocky, I've never used a speed-feed buttstock, and I'm not even clear on how they work. My thinking was since the Sis-in-law would be using the shotgun, the extra weight of 4 rounds would help with recoil management. Is this worth considering?

The Sis-in-law is not recoil sensitive...she wanted a side-by-side double barrel 12 gauge for home defense!

VIP Member
    Chris, that is one darn fine lookin' shotgun you got there!
    I'm a sucker for wood furniture, also. I've looked in a few pawn shops, but haven't seen anything close to what I think I'm looking for.

Administrator
    Accessories Galore

There is almost More Stuff "out There" for the 870 than the Colt 1911....you can have great fun adding on to the 870.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    The 870 is the ''10-22'' of the shottie world More bits for it than you can shake a stick at!

Only shottie I have changed otherwise is my Mossy 500C - added synthetic furniture - but it still has the mile long barrel - which I think is gonna get chopped eventually!

Rick - yes the wood is exceptionally nice on my 870 - one reason I said ''snapped'' it up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Until lions have their own historians "Tales of the Hunt" will always favor the hunter.
    QK, I'm sorta hijacking my own thread here, but in regards to your tagline, I would imagine that you have read some of the Peter Capstick "African" novels...the hunter doesn't always win!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Rocky, I've never used a speed-feed buttstock, and I'm not even clear on how they work. My thinking was since the Sis-in-law would be using the shotgun, the extra weight of 4 rounds would help with recoil management. Is this worth considering?

The Sis-in-law is not recoil sensitive...she wanted a side-by-side double barrel 12 gauge for home defense!
    The side mount ammo holder comes in 3 configurations I have seen. I mounts thru the pins in the reciever, the other screws into the side of the stock, the final would be a slip over buttstock holder like in my picture. I used the sling stud to keep it in place. Just melted a hole thru the nylon.
    I don't think you would notice much recoil diffrence. But if you add a extended mag tube, you will feel quite the diffrence in forward weight when fully loaded.
    I have seen a speedfeed loader, which reloads the mag tube faster, but heard they cause premature firing while loading sometimes.

I own a real old 870 Police Magnum which I compared it to a new 870 Express and noticed that the Express had a plastic trigger guard and some kind of funky finish that was not very durable. My old 870 P has a alloy trigerguard and true mil-spec parc finish. I do not abuse my stuff, but I do use the hell out of my guns so I personaly prefer the stronger trigger guard and more durable finish. If the new 870 from CDNN has the latest version of Remingtons recoil pad (R3 I think) you will absolutely be amazed at how well it works with the stout slug and buck loads.

I've built up a couple of 870's so, FWIW: The Speedfeed stock holds two rounds, on the lower, inboard side of the stock, in a spring-loaded channel, the shells are retained by a rib, at the mouth of the channel. Two more rounds are held, off-side, parallel to the comb of the stock. I never found it particularly "fast", the chief advantage being that you didn't have something else hanging off the gun to snag. For speed, I prefer the reciever mounted carriers, and for quantity, back that up with a butt-stock, nylon, carrier (Eagle, Blackhawk, etc), with a closing pouch.

Ghost-rings- I really like them! If Bro/Sis are bird hunters, they may not. If he/she isn't, and they practice swinging-to-target with the GRs(trap and skeet is hell to practice with these 18" barrels!), they will probably appreciate them. Again, if they're hunters, stick with the bead, they'll maintain their personal comfort-zone, and speed.

The two more rounds offered by the SS model. Well, you can spend $250 or so, for an Express, and +/-$40 for Scattergun Technology's tube extension, and try it both ways. If they/you think you might like the ghost-ring option, my favorite has alway been MMC's- easiest to adjust, low profile, and built like a brick poop-shed. +/- $120 or so.

You probably will get a smoother, somewhat more "industrial" build with the CDNN shotgun, but you need to weigh that against the intended user's ability to utilize and appreciate that. Unless you know that you want the SS features, I'd go basic, and build from there.

http://www.mmcsight.com/shotgun.htm
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt.htm
    http://www.eagleindustries.com (They used to offer this with a full pouch- might be worth calling- SSSC-QTR is the product code)
    http://www.speedfeedinc.com/?location=products (The Speedfeed I Mag Tube Stock Set)

Administrator

My Signature Line

My signature line changes sometimes daily.
    I do not get too attatched to any signature.

And...for sure The Hunter does not always win.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    I picked up this Rem. 870P at Christmas to replace the one I sold when I was not thinking right.
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3974586

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links