Making a completed AR15 lower, what's the best links?

This is a discussion on Making a completed AR15 lower, what's the best links? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have purchased a new stripped RRA AR15 lower at a gun show today, for $180 and I asked him about making an AR15 pistol ...

Thread: Making a completed AR15 lower, what's the best links?

Making a completed AR15 lower, what's the best links?

I have purchased a new stripped RRA AR15 lower at a gun show today, for $180 and I asked him about making an AR15 pistol (my cheaper alternative to getting a New in box one or getting that sweet looking SIG556 pistol) and he said all I have to do is get a finished pistol upper and slap it to the lower (without shoulder stock or else it will become a SBR that requires a $200 tax)... so what's the best source of info for making an AR15 lower now?

My hope is to complete ALL THIS right before the AWB that the usual fools in DC will be pushing some months down the road... thinking of also getting a 100 round magazine but I read that the military was testing these and they concluded that they were less reliable than standard 30 round clips and that they causes extended wear on the mag catch.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

bonis nocet quisqus malis perpercit

Brownells AR15Builder

Click "instructional videos" on the bottom of the page.
    I am remingtondude58 on Michigan gun owners as well

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Having never laid hands on an AR platform before, I built my lower using the AR15.com forum, as rcruz linked above.

I decided to buy the upper assembled, because that's a much trickier job that involves some specific tools. I still agree with that decision...and would be enjoying it a lot more if the upper I ordered in November would ever bloody ship.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

The lower is pretty simple,be careful when installing the trigger guard,some people have broken off an ear by trying to force the pin thru,the roll pin usually goes in with just a little pressure,and you are working with anodized aluminum
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I built my uppers and lowers - the TM manual is a good source, but shorter versions online are good too. For the lower you need a few roll pin punches and a big flat tip screwdriver. Probably about $20 in tools unless you can borrow them of course.

If you are doing a carbine stock you'll need a stock wrench for that, and you'll want to stake nut so you'll need some broken old tool of some kind to do that with.

For the upper you'll need an upper receiver block (~$40-50) and a barrel wrench(~$40). In theory you'll need a torque wrench too. I never used one though. The barrel nut is supposed to be between 30 and 80 foot pounds, but it also has to line up with a hole. So I just guessed what 30 was, and from there went to the next hole lining up. You'll want some good molybdenum disulfide grease for installing the barrel nut properly (~$15 for a lifetime supply).

It really isn't hard at all. The upper is very simple, and the lower is just a few roll pins really - everything else just pops into place.

If you have any problems feel free to PM me - I have built "multiple" ARs.

Austin

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Do you need to headspace the upper when the barrel is mounted?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Negative. When you are buying a new bolt and using a new barrel, there is no headspacing required.

The barrel extension is assembled when the gas hole is drilled and the front sight is mounted by the manufacturer. All the headspacing takes place between the barrel extension and the barrel.

Austin

Links