"Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense - Page 2

"Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense

This is a discussion on "Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another option I would strongly entertain is the equally difficult to find Marlin 1894C as chambered in .38S/.357M... Marlin's 1894CP 16-1/4" barreled .357 Magnum lever-action ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Another option I would strongly entertain is the equally difficult to find Marlin 1894C as chambered in .38S/.357M...

Marlin's 1894CP 16-1/4" barreled .357 Magnum lever-action carbine

Marlin Model 1894C

Lever action is very easy to use and is a reliable action mechanism in this chambering as used in a carbine length rifle.
    It's quick and the small size makes it a perfect fit for HD use in general and especially so for women.
    XS Sights even sells a rail system for these which would allow for mounting of a weapons light and even a red dot system is desired, along with of course an XS BigDot sight system.
    But this too is a tough to find item due to low production numbers by Marlin.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

BAC
    You know Janq, I always figured you as a bit less hairy. World is full of surprises.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; March 23rd, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Oh BAC I should have cited the source of that pic. :p
    That is 'Jeff' of the Gun Blast website.

I wanted to show the size of the firearm with a sense of perspective toward it's overall size as relative to a human as opposed to a flat white background. It's a little shooter that for human defense and small game hunting packs a punch.

Here is another pic of same that is not me :)

And a product review; Marlin 1894 Rifles

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'd get her a 20-gauge.

Senior Moderator
    I use a M1 carbine for home defense.

I prefer a pistol caliber carbine over a shotgun for HD myself
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

M1 Carbine is another good choice and not nearly as hard to find as a CX4 or 1894C.

As to a shotgun I personally, if my wife would hold one, would invest for her in specific a standard 12 gauge and mount a youth stock along with as short a barrel as one could lawfully afford to possess.
    The action of that gun would for a non-gun person be semi-automatic rather than pump and sourced from a very reliable manufacturer and product line Such as Remington (1100), Mossberg (930/935), FNH/Winchester, or Benelli.
    I'd fill the magazine tube with low recoil tactical 2 3/4" shells in 00 from Federal.

- Janq

By the way, if you're still sold on the idea that a cocking gun scares off intruders, or the situation dictates that it might actually work, she can rack the slide a full chamber as easily as an empty one.

(as to my shotgun suggestion, I personally keep mine "cruiser ready" because 1) my agency trains me that way 2) the safety is not a drop safety, just a trigger safety and 3) racking the slide is quicker than the button safety on an 870...but if I rack it, it's in presenting the weapon to shoot someone, not to scare them...)

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I hear the Highpoint 9mm carbines are pretty decent and can be had for around $250 - $300. They are ugly as sin, but can be refitted with a Beretta Storm inspired stock for asthetics.

VIP Member
    Another vote for the Storm.

I have one in 9mm and it uses standard Beretta 92 mags. A previous poster mentioned on that takes Glock mags. I'd question the accuracy of that.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I'd have to say the suggestion of the 20ga shotgun is a pretty good idea. She's already familiar with your 12 ga, so no new manual of arms to learn, just less kick.

The M1 carbine would be the next best choice...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

If you are going to use something larger than a pistol, a shotgun is better inside you home - less penetration of walls, etc.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Different direction, but I've known plenty of women that were fine with revolvers rather than an auto pistol they couldn't rack.
    My wife is one of those too. She likes revolvers and they have many advantages due to s imple manual of arms. Point, pull trigger, repeat.

No chambeing of a round, or clearing drills needed.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

IMHO and simple to use quality revolver is BETTER than all those other options when it comes to women or other people who may not be really into guns... and a long rifle or shotgun is easier for the perp to grab onto if close enough... also it's significantly harder to use one handed!
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

any of the H&K lines
    MP5 or UMP

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JEAM View Post
    any of the H&K lines
    MP5 or UMP
    Good luck finding one of those, never mind the tax stamp. A USC might be an option, but IMO it's over-priced and too long and unweildy with a 16" barrel.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links