"Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense

This is a discussion on "Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've thought about the same thing and call me old school but I want to get a M1 Thompson. Nothing like a 20 or 30 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense

I've thought about the same thing and call me old school but I want to get a M1 Thompson. Nothing like a 20 or 30 round stick mag full of 230 grain HSTs or Gold Dots.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    "I don't buy the "racking the action will make the bad guy run away" crap. That's old wives' stuff."

I agree. In fact most people think the same thing about shotguns, but it really doesn't make any difference. Just forget about thinking you're going to scare the bad guys away with noise, and rack the slide for her. Then take all that extra money you have and buy more ammunition.

How about avoiding a repeat of the original problem and let her pick what she wants instead of all of us picking it for her?

If we are going to talk Marlins, why not a plain 'ole 30-30...use it at home or out in the woods....no slide to contend with either.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    I sure like the looks of that Storm... How many scheckles would that run me??!!!
    Somewhere between $700-$1000 if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I've thought about the same thing and call me old school but I want to get a M1 Thompson. Nothing like a 20 or 30 round stick mag full of 230 grain HSTs or Gold Dots.
    I would like a Thompson for its historic value, but honestly, there are much better PCC's available now, especially if you're talking about 16" non-NFA carbines. Thompsons are fantastic guns, but they're much heavier than they look and the 16" versions are very long. I'm sure I'll end up owning one eventually, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a go-to gun.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

You could make a carbine out of your Glock:
    Mech Tech Systems, Inc.

You could take her to a store with a Remington 870 youth model in 20ga. A new one. The new 20s are a good bit lighter weight than their 12ga cousins. The youth model gives a short barrel and (more importantly) a short stock. She might be able to operate the 20 easier.

You should only be concerned about "overpenetration" if you're dealing with a round that will penetrate multiple walls after going through the BG. Any suitable defensive firearm will "overpenetrate" if you miss.

If she doesn't have (and isn't interested in developing) the strength and/or training to work a standard autoloading pistol action and then make accurate hits on an intruder while under stress, she doesn't need to rely on a firearm for her defense.

Firearm != Trunk Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    If she doesn't have (and isn't interested in developing) the strength and/or training to work a standard autoloading pistol action and then make accurate hits on an intruder while under stress, she doesn't need to rely on a firearm for her defense.
    That is a pretty ignorant statement. There are a host of firearms suitable for defense that aren't auto loading pistols. Not being able to rack the slide on an auto pistol isn't a requirement for "deserving" to use a firearm for defense. So now the standard to judge someone's ability or worthiness to use a firearm for protection is based upon their ability to rack the slide of a semi auto pistol? Spare me.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    That is a pretty ignorant statement.
    You missed the point, although that may have been my fault.

I've never been shooting with a woman, from my 5'10" gymnast ex-girlfriend to my 5'2" 70+ year old mother who could not rack the slide on one of my full-size autoloaders after being shown the proper way to do it. Granted, there are some who have a disability that would prevent that, yet not prevent positive operation of some other firearm - but the original poster didn't mention that such was the case.

Too many women, and some men, want a firearm to be a magic talisman that wards away danger - or at least, a "trunk monkey" button they can push when danger threatens and have it take care of the problem. Most who "can't" operate the weapon have a common set of problems: (1) they don't know the technique to effectively employ the strength they do have, or (2) they perceive a firearm as an unfamiliar, dangerous instrument which they're fearful to handle positively; and they don't have any interest in spending enough time with the gun to develop the strength and technique, nor to overcome the unfamiliarity. These people should not rely on, not "aren't worthy or deserving of," a firearm for self-defense.

I only used the slide-on-an-autoloader example because I believe that most non-disabled people can do it if properly motivated and taught. If there are some that truly aren't strong enough, then they probably aren't strong enough to accurately aim, fire, and absorb the recoil of any firearm generally considered effective for self-defense either.

Since no one else mentioned it. How about Kel-Tecs
    Sub 2000? in 9mm or .40

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too like the idea of a compact pistol caliber carbine for home defense. I find a shotgun to be long and big for a guy my size. No problem outside but in a narrow hallway and small rooms it's not so good.

I love the feel of the Storm CX4. There's a .40 caliber one on the shelf at a gun shop I visited today and they're asking $850

What's sad is I passed up an opportunity to buy one from a member of this forum last year for $600 !!

I also think the keltec carbines would be effective but I don't like how they feel when mounted compared to the Storm.

I too think a lever action .357 could work but there's not a good way to mount a light and I think a light would be very useful.

I have seen these conversion kits that turn a standard 1911 into a carbine but I've never held one and I'm not to sure of that idea.

I also think a remington 870 youth 20 ga shotgun would be a great choice. I've never seen an 18" barrel for one but I think it would be worth having a 20 or 21" youth barrel cut down and a bead added by a gun smith.

Whatever you're going to use inside I think it has to be small and compact so you can handle it inside and I think it's super critical that it fit the individual. If you can't get that done in a shotgun or carbine then you need a handgun that REALLY fits your hands and has a longer sight radius than what you mighty typically carry.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I used to shoot a 12 gauge pump gun that had a butt PLATE, not a butt pad. I am not so young and sturdy these days, and use good, modern recoil-absorbing pads. As I anticipate the infirmities of old age, I have started acquiring more suitable weapons, .223 autoloading carbines and .357 mag lever carbines. I still work police patrol, and still use 12 gauge pump guns, but retirement beckons, and my former "strong" shotgunning shoulder cannot stand up to 12 gauge recoil any more. I don't blame the shotguns for it; I injured that shoulder in another way. (I shoot rifles as a lefty, due to left eye dominance, but used to shoot shotguns from my formerly stronger right side.) My wife set aside her 12 gauge 870 long ago, and uses a Rossi clone of the '92 Winchester, in .357 mag, as a house and utility rifle, plus she uses .38 revolvers by choice.

Regarding the racking of a shotgun or other weapon scaring off a bad guy, well, that MIGHT work, and has certainly worked in the past, but it might stimulate an armed bad guy to IMMEDIATELY fire a suppressive burst at the source of the noise, so take that under advisement. If I am hunting an armed bad guy, and hear him working the action of a firearm, he will be the recipient of immediate preemptive fire from me, pending target ID. A bad guy will not be concerned with target ID!

As for birdshot for HD, well, no. OK for VERY close range against a totally unarmored, skinny opponent, at certain points of his anatomy, maybe. Just maybe. Blanks might work, too. To stop a bad guy reliably, you NEED adequate penetration, and birdshot will not do this reliably. If you absolutely must use birdshot, use the bigger sizes, not cheap target/skeet dust-particle-sized stuff.

Looking over this thread reminded me of the Beretta Storm. I like the concept, and people have posted quite favorable impressions of them. If one that takes Beretta M9/M92 mags were to show up at a local dealer, I would be very tempted to whip out the plastic and start a lay-away, with the idea of it being a gift for my wife.

For the present, my wife's utility carbine is a Rossi clone of the Winchester '92 lever-action carbine, in .357 mag. I like the concept, having recently purchased two Marlin 1894 .357 lever carbines for myself.

Well, while I appreciate all of the help, the situation has rectified itself. I showed her that cornered cat website and she now no longer has any issues racking the slide on her Glock 23.

However, the CX4 has now gone on my wish list.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links