Defensive Carry banner

"Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense

28K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  Katana 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll just put it out there like this: I'm trying to find information or suggestions on a pistol caliber carbine for my wife. I purchased a glock 23 for her for home and self defense while I'm out over the road, but she has an extremely difficult time with it (unable to pull the slide back by herself consistently.) Currently, what I've done for her is to load the pistol myself (13 +1), but I would prefer for her is to keep her weapon without a round in the chamber while it's in the home, as the sound of a weapon being loaded is sometimes enough for an intruder to "hightail it" without anything further happening.

However, she has no problems pulling the bolt charger back on my AK, or the using the pump action on my shotgun. With these, she is able to brace the buttstock against her shoulder while charging. Unfortunately, as we live in an apartment now, I would not want her to use the AK for fear of over penetration, and she cannot seem to handle the recoil of my 12 gauge, also I would prefer her to have something more accurate than buckshot available to her to use.

So what I'm trying to find is something semi-automatic for her, with little recoil, something she would be able to pull the bolt back with little physical strength, and also accurate. I'd also like to keep the price under $1000 if at all possible, so something like an HK94 would not be an option. That would also rule out the costs involved with legally obtaining a SBR.

So does anyone have any suggestions or information on something like what I'm looking for?

Edit: I forgot to add, I'd prefer something in .40 as well, since our handguns use that, and we have a pretty good supply of it and I wouldn't have to go out and try to find more ammo.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't think it is out yet, but you may want to consider a CARR (Charter Arms Rimless Revolver). Uses .40 S&W. Add a laser, and that would be an easy to tuck away, effective SD firearm (using your common caliber).

Charter Arms' New Revolutionary Rimless Revolver

...she cannot seem to handle the recoil of my 12 gauge, also I would prefer her to have something more accurate than buckshot available to her to use...
I get the recoil issue, but not the buckshot comment. Who needs accurate with a shotgun inside. At those distances, with the pattern, hard to miss.

#6 ·
I get the recoil issue, but not the buckshot comment. Who needs accurate with a shotgun inside. At those distances, with the pattern, hard to miss.
Well, this is patently false, AND counter to what shotguns do. At close ranges, such as inside an apartment, there will be very little spread to the buckshot, meaning that aim will be important and, if you miss, you miss with nine or so projectiles that will spread out.

I second the CX4... IIRC they make one that takes Glock mags, so you'd be set. Then there is the Kel-Tec Sub2000, which also has a Glock-compatible version.

I am a proponent of pistol caliber carbines for HD, and I think you and your wife will be well served with either.

#7 ·
As far as the buckshot goes, the reason I'd be worried about it is because I wouldn't want any stray pellets going past the BG and striking anyone or anything else behind them. When I was in the house it wasn't a problem, but I'd be more worried about it now that I'm in an apartment.

#8 ·
You know something ,years back we had a gun store open here in my town that had a CX4 in .45 for sale for like $500 NIB. I actually remember showing it to her at the time when I bought my USP not too long after the AWB expired, and telling her this was going to be my next years tax refund "toy." Unfortunately, I never got the opprotunity to get it as they closed less than a year later. That was the last time I'd ever seen one. I guess it's time to get back to looking for another one now.

Ah well, better late than never,eh? :image035:

#9 ·
I recommend a pistol caliber carbine for home defense. I don't buy the "racking the action will make the bad guy run away" crap. That's old wives' stuff.

Ruger makes a 9 and .40 carbine (PC9 and PC4).

Beretta has the Storm series.

A good M1 carbine is perfect for home protection. Mags are cheap and plentiful.

#11 ·
I'll throw up another vote for the CX4. My roomate bought one chambered in .40 a while back, and I was very impressed with it. They're light, well-balanced, accurate, and light on recoil and flash. I've been considering buying one myself, if I can scare up the cash.

IMO, it's a bad idea to keep your primary defensive weapon without a round in the chamber. If she needs it, she'll need it really bad and right then, and adding the extra step of chambering a round could cost her life. For me, Burglars running away with their tails between their legs at the mere sound of a shotgun racking is in about the same league as the ADT commercials where the BG kicks in the door and then high-tails it as soon as the alarm goes off. Don't bet your life on it.

#12 ·
I've been looking both online and calling the local stores for a CX4, they seem almost impossible to find right now.

As far as keeping a round in the chamber, it's something I've considered for the home (and am now reconsidering.) I mean, we do keep our carry guns fully loaded when we're out, after all.

#27 ·
:hand10: My wife is one of those too. She likes revolvers and they have many advantages due to s imple manual of arms. Point, pull trigger, repeat.

No chambeing of a round, or clearing drills needed.

#16 ·
Another option I would strongly entertain is the equally difficult to find Marlin 1894C as chambered in .38S/.357M...

Marlin's 1894CP 16-1/4" barreled .357 Magnum lever-action carbine

Marlin Model 1894C

Lever action is very easy to use and is a reliable action mechanism in this chambering as used in a carbine length rifle.
It's quick and the small size makes it a perfect fit for HD use in general and especially so for women.
XS Sights even sells a rail system for these which would allow for mounting of a weapons light and even a red dot system is desired, along with of course an XS BigDot sight system.
But this too is a tough to find item due to low production numbers by Marlin.

- Janq

#17 · (Edited)
You know Janq, I always figured you as a bit less hairy. World is full of surprises. :rofl:

-B

#18 ·
Oh BAC I should have cited the source of that pic. :p
That is 'Jeff' of the Gun Blast website.

I wanted to show the size of the firearm with a sense of perspective toward it's overall size as relative to a human as opposed to a flat white background. It's a little shooter that for human defense and small game hunting packs a punch.

Here is another pic of same that is not me :)

And a product review; Marlin 1894 Rifles

- Janq

#20 ·
I use a M1 carbine for home defense.

I prefer a pistol caliber carbine over a shotgun for HD myself

#21 ·
M1 Carbine is another good choice and not nearly as hard to find as a CX4 or 1894C.

As to a shotgun I personally, if my wife would hold one, would invest for her in specific a standard 12 gauge and mount a youth stock along with as short a barrel as one could lawfully afford to possess.
The action of that gun would for a non-gun person be semi-automatic rather than pump and sourced from a very reliable manufacturer and product line Such as Remington (1100), Mossberg (930/935), FNH/Winchester, or Benelli.
I'd fill the magazine tube with low recoil tactical 2 3/4" shells in 00 from Federal.

- Janq

#22 ·
By the way, if you're still sold on the idea that a cocking gun scares off intruders, or the situation dictates that it might actually work, she can rack the slide a full chamber as easily as an empty one.

(as to my shotgun suggestion, I personally keep mine "cruiser ready" because 1) my agency trains me that way 2) the safety is not a drop safety, just a trigger safety and 3) racking the slide is quicker than the button safety on an 870...but if I rack it, it's in presenting the weapon to shoot someone, not to scare them...)

#24 ·
Another vote for the Storm.:hand10:

I have one in 9mm and it uses standard Beretta 92 mags. A previous poster mentioned on that takes Glock mags. I'd question the accuracy of that.:ticking:

#25 ·
I'd have to say the suggestion of the 20ga shotgun is a pretty good idea. She's already familiar with your 12 ga, so no new manual of arms to learn, just less kick.

The M1 carbine would be the next best choice...

#28 ·
IMHO and simple to use quality revolver is BETTER than all those other options when it comes to women or other people who may not be really into guns... and a long rifle or shotgun is easier for the perp to grab onto if close enough... also it's significantly harder to use one handed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.