"Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense

This is a discussion on "Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll just put it out there like this: I'm trying to find information or suggestions on a pistol caliber carbine for my wife. I purchased ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Submachine gun" style weapons for home defense

I'll just put it out there like this: I'm trying to find information or suggestions on a pistol caliber carbine for my wife. I purchased a glock 23 for her for home and self defense while I'm out over the road, but she has an extremely difficult time with it (unable to pull the slide back by herself consistently.) Currently, what I've done for her is to load the pistol myself (13 +1), but I would prefer for her is to keep her weapon without a round in the chamber while it's in the home, as the sound of a weapon being loaded is sometimes enough for an intruder to "hightail it" without anything further happening.

However, she has no problems pulling the bolt charger back on my AK, or the using the pump action on my shotgun. With these, she is able to brace the buttstock against her shoulder while charging. Unfortunately, as we live in an apartment now, I would not want her to use the AK for fear of over penetration, and she cannot seem to handle the recoil of my 12 gauge, also I would prefer her to have something more accurate than buckshot available to her to use.

So what I'm trying to find is something semi-automatic for her, with little recoil, something she would be able to pull the bolt back with little physical strength, and also accurate. I'd also like to keep the price under $1000 if at all possible, so something like an HK94 would not be an option. That would also rule out the costs involved with legally obtaining a SBR.

So does anyone have any suggestions or information on something like what I'm looking for?

Edit: I forgot to add, I'd prefer something in .40 as well, since our handguns use that, and we have a pretty good supply of it and I wouldn't have to go out and try to find more ammo.
    Last edited by Katana; March 22nd, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Ruger makes a police carbine in .40. Semi auto and takes pistol mags. :)

RUGER PC4 Semi-Auto Police Carbine, 40cal. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Moderator
    Here ya go...

cx4storm beretta - semiautomatic carbine

Nice little carbine,feels good, very accurate
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't think it is out yet, but you may want to consider a CARR (Charter Arms Rimless Revolver). Uses .40 S&W. Add a laser, and that would be an easy to tuck away, effective SD firearm (using your common caliber).

Charter Arms' New Revolutionary Rimless Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    ...she cannot seem to handle the recoil of my 12 gauge, also I would prefer her to have something more accurate than buckshot available to her to use...
    I get the recoil issue, but not the buckshot comment. Who needs accurate with a shotgun inside. At those distances, with the pattern, hard to miss.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I get the recoil issue, but not the buckshot comment. Who needs accurate with a shotgun inside. At those distances, with the pattern, hard to miss.
    Well, this is patently false, AND counter to what shotguns do. At close ranges, such as inside an apartment, there will be very little spread to the buckshot, meaning that aim will be important and, if you miss, you miss with nine or so projectiles that will spread out.

I second the CX4... IIRC they make one that takes Glock mags, so you'd be set. Then there is the Kel-Tec Sub2000, which also has a Glock-compatible version.

I am a proponent of pistol caliber carbines for HD, and I think you and your wife will be well served with either.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

As far as the buckshot goes, the reason I'd be worried about it is because I wouldn't want any stray pellets going past the BG and striking anyone or anything else behind them. When I was in the house it wasn't a problem, but I'd be more worried about it now that I'm in an apartment.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

You know something ,years back we had a gun store open here in my town that had a CX4 in .45 for sale for like $500 NIB. I actually remember showing it to her at the time when I bought my USP not too long after the AWB expired, and telling her this was going to be my next years tax refund "toy." Unfortunately, I never got the opprotunity to get it as they closed less than a year later. That was the last time I'd ever seen one. I guess it's time to get back to looking for another one now.

Ah well, better late than never,eh?

Μολών λαβέ!

I recommend a pistol caliber carbine for home defense. I don't buy the "racking the action will make the bad guy run away" crap. That's old wives' stuff.

Ruger makes a 9 and .40 carbine (PC9 and PC4).

Beretta has the Storm series.

A good M1 carbine is perfect for home protection. Mags are cheap and plentiful.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    the Storm is great, but if it wasn't for the 5 shot limit on the semi-auto B&T MP9 I would get it for my wife. Add laser. light and foregrip, an excellent weapon for HD by people that don't practice enough.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg63-e.htm

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'll throw up another vote for the CX4. My roomate bought one chambered in .40 a while back, and I was very impressed with it. They're light, well-balanced, accurate, and light on recoil and flash. I've been considering buying one myself, if I can scare up the cash.

IMO, it's a bad idea to keep your primary defensive weapon without a round in the chamber. If she needs it, she'll need it really bad and right then, and adding the extra step of chambering a round could cost her life. For me, Burglars running away with their tails between their legs at the mere sound of a shotgun racking is in about the same league as the ADT commercials where the BG kicks in the door and then high-tails it as soon as the alarm goes off. Don't bet your life on it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I've been looking both online and calling the local stores for a CX4, they seem almost impossible to find right now.

As far as keeping a round in the chamber, it's something I've considered for the home (and am now reconsidering.) I mean, we do keep our carry guns fully loaded when we're out, after all.

Μολών λαβέ!

In the meantime if she can't rack the slide you might look at her technique. My wife couldn't do it at first, but after I told her to push with one hand and pull with the other she could do it no problem.

Austin

Different direction, but I've known plenty of women that were fine with revolvers rather than an auto pistol they couldn't rack.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Check out this link. She has tips and suggestions for men and women about reduced strength and racking the slide.

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links