Noob Wanting AR15 Style Rifle Opinions

Noob Wanting AR15 Style Rifle Opinions

This is a discussion on Noob Wanting AR15 Style Rifle Opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I am a noob here and I want advice on a few rifles I am thinking about getting. I was looking at S&W M&P ...

Thread: Noob Wanting AR15 Style Rifle Opinions

Question Noob Wanting AR15 Style Rifle Opinions

Hi,

I am a noob here and I want advice on a few rifles I am thinking about getting.

I was looking at
    S&W M&P 15A
    B & H GUN RACK
    Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 Carbine
    B & H GUN RACK
    Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 Flat Top Carbine
    B & H GUN RACK

I have not fired any of these particular guns and have read a few threads from people never giving any bad feedback. I have fired MANY rounds from standard military AR15's and M4's. These are not the only guns I have considered, but these are the three highest ranking right now. Any comments and/or advice is welcome. Thanks

VIP Member
    Depending on your price range, I'd suggest looking into the Sig 556 line of rifles. They operate on a gas piston system which IMO is more durable/reliable than gas only. Sig makes the highest quality guns, you can't go wrong with them, but they are more expensive. Also they are chambered for .556 NATO, so they can shoot the .223s or the higher pressure .556 NATO rounds.
    Check them out at sigarms.com
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The S&W M&Ps are good guns. I would pick that if it was between the two.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Depending on your price range, I'd suggest looking into the Sig 556 line of rifles. They operate on a gas piston system which IMO is more durable/reliable than gas only. Sig makes the highest quality guns, you can't go wrong with them, but they are more expensive. Also they are chambered for .556 NATO, so they can shoot the .223s or the higher pressure .556 NATO rounds.
    Check them out at sigarms.com
    If you happen to be looking in the price range of a Sig 556, then consider one of the AR's with a gas piston upgrade that many manufacturer's are offering now for the same price range that the Sig 556 is running at. Then you get the AR versatility and compatibility with the parts available, you are still trained on a much more common weapons platform, and you have the more reliable gas piston design.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Of the ones listed, I would go with the S&W M&P15A. All ARs are harder to come by right now, so you have to pick from what is available. Me personally, I would try and hold out for an LMT Defender. With some (internet) work, they can be found.

Since you didn't ask, after looking at the 223 rifles, I opted for an Armalite in 308. I needed a feral hog gun and we grow some big porkers in Texas so the 308 got the nod. I do know that I will never feel outgunned if I need to use this for real protection of my family and property.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Rock River Arms - one more you should look into.

Stag - is another.

They're both middle end companies like the ones you mentioned.

Doesn't Smith manufacture for RR?

I have the M&P15OR.

I love it. I bought it over the Bushy, RR, Stag because of my prior experience with the S&W Customer Service - which was far and away the best I have ever experienced.

I have a Bushmaster and love it. I have heard mixed reviews on the Carbon line though. I'd go with the M&P.

I would consider checking out this:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA&hl=en

I would suggest going for the S&W M&P. I've seen the flat top (complete rifle) "optics ready" version on Bud's Gun Shop for around $990 delivered. It can be found for a decent price and the average "gun nut civilian" won't out-shoot it; and that should be the same for other mid-priced brands like Stag or Bushmaster. I'd suggest going with the cheaper model you can find, and invest that saved money into high quality optics.

I recently ordered a Stag flat top for about $900 before shipping from smallarmsales.com

As you can tell from my username, I'm a big fan of the M&P15 line. I have the Tactical version, which is a great value if you plan on adding a rail system, front and rear Troy Industries iron sights, etc.

You might also want to review this article: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

The guys does a great job of setting out the differences and things to look for--one note, the M&P feed ramps have changed over time. At least in my M&P15T, the feed ramps extend from the barrel to the upper receiver. The pictures in the noted thread indicate they extend only in the barrel.

GKG
    Get one! Currently run the bottom from our Colt Gov't Carbine (has a pencil barrel upper and is originally a carbine. We've put a Spikes Tactical upper flat top with an EOTech 512 & an EOTech 3x mag. Outstanding weapon, owned a Bushmaster in the past as well, LMT would be great, whatever you can find.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I'm in the same boat as you and have decided to try my hand at patience... I'm going to build my rifle from quality components, which should allow me to come in around the price of the mid-tier guys... I'm waiting on bravocompanyusa.com to get their big April LMT shipment to pick up an upper, BCG, and charging handle... still working on an affordable lower/LPK and then I'm thinking of using some Magpul MOE gear to round out the furniture...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Sponsored Links