best M4 Carbine type upper?

This is a discussion on best M4 Carbine type upper? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally desided to use that stripped RRA reciever into a copy of the M4 carbine and I wanted to know what is the BEST upper ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best M4 Carbine type upper?

Finally desided to use that stripped RRA reciever into a copy of the M4 carbine and I wanted to know what is the BEST upper to get for this? I want the barrelled upper without the bolt, charging handle etc (will get those seperately).. many online places are simply sold out, may go by gunshop to see if any is there.

This is my SHTF Rifle #2 project... the Saiga AK47 will be mostly for plinking and fun shooting and this M4 copy I hope to make will be for serious stuff, also going to start looking for surpluse military NATO ammo.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

14.5" SBR, welded/pinned or 16" m4gery?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    14.5" SBR, welded/pinned or 16" m4gery?
    No SBR for me, can't bother with paper work and registration type stuff.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    No SBR for me, can't bother with paper work and registration type stuff.

Get this and don't look back.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Funny, I was going to point towards LMT as well:

Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

I have a complete Defender rifle in M-4 style and it is fabulous.

also read this, lots of info and photos of uppers:

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

The one you can find right now and afford!!

great advice, piston driven upper....NOT!!!

Why would you recommend that?

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post

Well here's 5 groups of folks that know more about the platform than I ever will. I suspect they can give you a few good reasons to consider a piston driven platform.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five
    Last edited by matiki; March 24th, 2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added a fifth manufacturer - colt.

I heard the military has replaced a few regular uppers on the M4s wt HK416 uppers (piston driven) and the tests show these to be more reliable.

giving manufacturers that use piston uppers doesnt give any reason to why it's better.

Piston uppers are just a fashion statement, IMO. Having a piston driven upper causes more wear inside (bolt & bolt locking lugs etc etc...caused by extra pressure)...unless the manufacturers solved those issues. You may say it runs cleaner...true, but it just gets dirty in different areas. Also, another thing to think about is parts. If anything breaks on a piston driven upper then it'll be harder to find/get those parts unlike a DI upper.

But listing 5 companies that make piston AR's gives me no reason to why it's better and especially no reason to sell my DI AR and get a piston AR.

Im not trying to start a debate but dont just tell someone to buy a certain product without giving any reason...especially when he's asking what to get.

giving manufacturers that use piston uppers doesnt give any reason to why it's better.
    That was never a question until you just threw that out there. He asked for our opinion of the best AR upper, and I provided my opinion.

Piston uppers are just a fashion statement, IMO. Having a piston driven upper causes more wear inside (bolt & bolt locking lugs etc etc...caused by extra pressure)...unless the manufacturers solved those issues. You may say it runs cleaner...true, but it just gets dirty in different areas. Also, another thing to think about is parts. If anything breaks on a piston driven upper then it'll be harder to find/get those parts unlike a DI upper.

But listing 5 companies that make piston AR's gives me no reason to why it's better and especially no reason to sell my DI AR and get a piston AR.
    No one asked that, including you. The question was, what is the best upper for their AR, and IMO it is a piston driven upper. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Im not trying to start a debate but dont just tell someone to buy a certain product without giving any reason...especially when he's asking what to get.
    The OP did not ask why, and you failed to provide the very input you attempt to criticize me for lacking.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    If you're going for a 16" barrel, I prefer the dissipater style for the full sight radius (that's assuming you will even use iron sights; for SHTF I'd want them at least). This would be a disadvantage for replacement parts since they use a different gas block from the M4/M16 and have a different gas tube length.

I got my upper from model1sales; I have no regrets.

IIRC, the piston operated HK 416 was tested by the Army, found to be an improvement in reliability over the M-4, but not enough of an improvement to make the switch. Pistons do have their draw backs in expense, weight, and availability of parts.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

BAC
    Bravo Company, LMT, or Noveske. The only reason I don't list Colt up there is because I don't think they sell uppers alone; if you can find a 6920 or similar model for sale, used or new, you can always use your existing lower to fund the purchase and have the rifle sent to SAW for one of their reliability packages.

Until large numbers of the other brands (including those selling piston-driven offerings*) can get fielded in the shooting world and actually shot with regularity, it would be hard to say if anything else is comparable to the proven ones. HK is excepted from this, but seeing as how you and I can't get the 416 anyway, it's a moot point.

Good luck in your search.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I agree with BAC... Noveske, LMT, and BCM are the way to go for uppers. But right now, you may need to take what is available.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    I agree with BAC... Noveske, LMT, and BCM are the way to go for uppers. But right now, you may need to take what is available.
    I will wait and look hard for what I really want, will be saving up til then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links