Sig 556 Stock upgrade

This is a discussion on Sig 556 Stock upgrade within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For all you guys out there that own a 556, my question to you is: Can I purchase ANY AR compatable stock and fit it ...

Thread: Sig 556 Stock upgrade

Question Sig 556 Stock upgrade

For all you guys out there that own a 556, my question to you is:

Can I purchase ANY AR compatable stock and fit it to my Sig556SWAT?

I'm looking at the Command Arms CBS 6-pos w/ adjustable cheek pad, right at $100. Do I just buy the butt without the tube assembly and replace or what?

I have never messed with AR Butt-stock replacement before so this is a learning curve for me.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

2. Remove Ads

Yes.

The stock needs to support a commercial rather than mil-spec tube and that is all.
    Or you can change the OEM tube on your 556 to mil-spec and thus support a Mil-Spec tube type stock.

- Janq has a SIG 556 SCM
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Great! Thanks Janq!

So I guess I'll go ahead and order the stock with the mil-spec tube, that way I won't have to worry about any tube compatability issues down the road.

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

It's not at all necessary to do so though considering how often will you be changing out your stock (?) _and_ most every stock available is sold with the option of commercial or milspec tube diameter.

Outside of just wanting to spend more money than necessary _OR_ if for some specific reason you happen to have a bunch of milspec stocks sitting around as it is and you actually do intend to swap stocks with any degree of regularity, then ordering a new tube just to have sitting around (or the old just fine OEM tube) and to have two sets of stocks in different tube types makes no sense whilst costing you cents unnecessarily.
    But if you did happen to have a bunch of stocks sitting around with no guns attached it's pretty likely that you would along the way have picked up a milspec tube as well which once again makes the point and cost effort moot.

There is no inherent advantage nor weakness between either tube type diameter. Why the two tube diameters are even existent as opposed to standardization to one size is a mystery to me.

- Janq is by nature frugal
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Way to send me on a guilt trip.

I've decided NOT to get the optional tube.

- SweetSig tries to be frugal. But he is trying to boost the economy like the good little US citizen he is.

I'm just trying to help you save a dime or dollar.
    Times right now for many if not most Americans are harder than '29.
    Last thing a person needs to do is spend money on something they don't actually need for function. Waste not want not. :p

You would've wound up with a part sitting around doing nothing to toss into a 'spare parts' box, costing you real money.

- Janq

I really do appreciate it. I figured I was doing the thrifty thing by getting the extra tube w/ the stock rather than buying one later if I just happend to need it. I see what you mean though.

Links