What do you think? - Page 2

What do you think?

This is a discussion on What do you think? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 2" of barrel and more heft in the over gun will make the difference you mentioned. And the 500 and 590 are also two different ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    2" of barrel and more heft in the over gun will make the difference you mentioned. And the 500 and 590 are also two different guns in different leagues too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Ok, after looking closer I can understand the price now, and it isn't that bad.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

you paid about 250 to much still a nice shotgun

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by george ries View Post
    you paid about 250 to much still a nice shotgun
    What model are you comparing it to? Regardless of what people WANT to believe, not all 870s are created equal.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The shotty came in today and it couldn't look better to me. I will have to make due with the 3 shells I had for now. I can't wait to shoot it!!!

My next question is about mounting a light. I have seen the few low cost ideas here on the forum. To the contrary the mounts at Midway are +300 bones (I would hope they come with the light). My question is there anything in the middle?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    What model are you comparing it to? Regardless of what people WANT to believe, not all 870s are created equal.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf
    I am no expert on the subtle differences inside two different 870 models. With that said I have never seen a broken 870 of any kind. From the cheapest model on up they are built like a tank. I have family member who have tens of thousands of rounds through these things over a roughly twenty five year span. 750 dollars for ANY pump shotgun is a ridiculous price.

You are paying for tacticool and not much else!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    you can't buy an 870 mag tube for 220 nowadays!! I good price on an 870 7 round express is about $320 to $350. The model he's looking at is a higher end.

If you can afford it then you're getting top shelf. But unless you're LEO or going into battle, a regular 870 Express would be more than adequate for the average joe citizen.

If I had the money and wouldn't miss it in the least I'd get the better one because I live the quality. I'd also get the marine grade for the extra corrosion protection.

Good luck finding any of them now. Just saw an express 870 (7 round) a week ago at the gun shop I go to....went by today and it's gone. My gun shop is having a hard time getting anything that's popular and the least bit tactical.

Get it and enjoy it, you really can't go wrong.

First off, congrats on your 870 XCS Marine Magnum! I originally was looking at this model over the Express but ironically ended up with an 870P. The price seems about right, espeically in the current market, so don't worry about it. Anyways, can you really put a price on something that may one day protect the lives of you and yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    My next question is about mounting a light. I have seen the few low cost ideas here on the forum. To the contrary the mounts at Midway are +300 bones (I would hope they come with the light). My question is there anything in the middle?
    I personally like the Surefire Weaponlights which replace the forend, but they are pretty costly.

A less expensive option (~$50 minus the light) is Mesa Tactical's barrel/magazine clamp that a piece of picatinny rail can be attached to, as seen below.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I am no expert on the subtle differences inside two different 870 models. With that said I have never seen a broken 870 of any kind. From the cheapest model on up they are built like a tank. I have family member who have tens of thousands of rounds through these things over a roughly twenty five year span. 750 dollars for ANY pump shotgun is a ridiculous price.

You are paying for tacticool and not much else!
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Personally. I think the price is high. The price on my Benelli Nova Pump Tactical 12ga was only about 500 when I bought it... and Benelli's tend to cost more I thought.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

VIP Member
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
    Yes I am. The reason for this opinion is as follows: I have had a Mossberg 500 (not 590) since I was 13, it was about 10 years old when I got it. I have so many rounds through this gun I lost count. Thousands and thousands of heavy steel, turkey, buckshot, and slug loads. I couldn't even tell you how many rounds 5,000+, who knows? The point is that the only thing I've ever worn out on the thing is a barrel (steel shot). A new Mossberg goes about $250 at wally world and an 870 (a step up in quality) goes about $310. A Remmy configured for HD about $425-450 will last forever.

Since you feel my opinion is incorrect why dont you explain to me what on earth makes this shotgun worth $750. A couple of heavier springs and IMO the only true upgrade is the machined extractors and ejectors.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 31st, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

OD*
    Since you feel my opinion is incorrect why dont you explain to me what on earth makes this shotgun worth $750. A couple of heavier springs and IMO the only true upgrade is the machined extractors and ejectors.
    If those upgrades are not worth it in your opinion, then there isn't anything to explain is there? In your opinion you don't think any shotgun is worth $750, again, that's your opinion, and you should buy what you think is best.

When I was in the market about 3 weeks ago I was looking at the Beneli Super Nova tactical or the Remmington 870 tactical. The Beneli was cheaper but I ended up buying the 870. I paid $429.00 and I added a Limb Saver for $29.95. I am shooting it tomorrow for the first time. I can't wait.

Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

VIP Member
    If those upgrades are not worth it in your opinion, then there isn't anything to explain is there? In your opinion you don't think any shotgun is worth $750, again, that's your opinion, and you should buy what you think is best.
    Fair enough. Sorry for my tirade. I guess I really don't get it. I just feel like this kid could have gotten a shotgun and a Glock for that price.

Fair enough. Sorry for my tirade. I guess I really don't get it. I just feel like this kid could have gotten a shotgun and a Glock for that price.
    Thank you for your opinions (everyone). It's clear that I could have shopped better. Spur of the moment decisions combined with midlife crisis make for some pretty impulsive purchases lately. Don't really need a Glock though :)

Thanks again,
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links