uhhh is my AK supposed to do this?

This is a discussion on uhhh is my AK supposed to do this? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A metal bar on my AK has come loose. It runs through the receiver just above the trigger. I first noticed the other day when ...

Thread: uhhh is my AK supposed to do this?

A metal bar on my AK has come loose. It runs through the receiver just above the trigger. I first noticed the other day when I pulled the trigger with the safety on (unloaded thank god) and I heard the loud click of the hammer dropping. I immediately took it apart and found the perpetrator, the bar running through the receiver was loose. I tapped it back in with a small hammer and it seems fine now, but I was going to put some JB weld on it just to hold it in place. Then I decided to get some advice before potentially ruining my gun

Here's some pictures

Left Side

Right Side
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

If that is the Trigger pivot pin (I think it is but hard to tell from first picture) DO NOT solidify it in any way. It is supposed to come out and go back in to disassemble the Fire Control group.

There is supposed to be a wire called a Shepherds hook (or sometimes called Shepherds crook) that fits in a tiny groove around that and the other two pins (one of which is the safety lever and the other the Hammer pin) to keep them in place and from sliding out. Yours is either missing, not installed correctly or broken. You need to study up on how that fire control group goes together and how that Hook is installed. Don't be beating on anything or applying anything to it. Fix it right.

There is a replacement lever that does this job even easier that is much easier to install. You probably would be better served with one of those.

Here is an example of the replacement plate that replaces the wire one (which you are missing or it has come out of the grooves in the Pins)

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...ain_page=crook

do it rite
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    If that is the Trigger pivot pin (I think it is but hard to tell from first picture) DO NOT solidify it in any way. It is supposed to come out and go back in to disassemble the Fire Control group.

There is supposed to be a wire called a Shepherds hook (or croo that fits in a tiny groove around that and the other two pins (one of which is the safety lever and the other the Hammer pin) to keep them in place and from sliding out. Yours is either missing, not installed correctly or broken. You need to study up on how that fire control group goes together and how that Hook is installed. Don't be beating on anything or applying anything to it. Fix it right.

There is a replacement lever that does this job even easier that is much easier to install. You probably would be better served with one of those.

Here is an example of the replacement plate that replaces the wire one (which you are missing or it has come out of the grooves in the Pins)

Shepherd's Crook Installation : BlackJack Buffers LLC

what cphilip said...just to reiterate: DO NOT use JB weld on the pin!

this tutorial shows the removal of the FCG
    Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

buy one of the retaining plates from Krebs or Tapco to replace the shepherd's crook.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Whats with you and JB weld? Just do it right, AK parts are cheap.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yah. Throw the JB weld away, dude. Too many gun oils and solvents will eat it up.

If you really need an epoxy, use Thermosteel (available at Autozone) that is heat resistant to 1500*, a bit too grainey for use with a cure temp under 300*+; Devcon Stainless steel/Titamium/Aluminum epoxy, comparatively pricey, but the absolute best thing aside from running a bead; AcraGlas or Miles Gilbert bedding compounds.

Your best solution is the Krebs' triggerpin retaining plate. same price as Tapco and Power Custom, but heavier gauge, and it's actually "spring loaded" to remove any possibility of the pins backing out.
    http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPage...kovParts.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Whats with you and JB weld?
    Its just too dang handy for so many things
    Apparently not for gun internals
    Ill keep my guns and my JB weld in separate rooms. Promise.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Links