FINALLY purchased an AR!

FINALLY purchased an AR!

This is a discussion on FINALLY purchased an AR! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hooray!!! On Tuesday I took my wife out to the local range. We were planning on shooting her .380 and my .40, just normal range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY purchased an AR!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

FINALLY purchased an AR!

Hooray!!!

On Tuesday I took my wife out to the local range. We were planning on shooting her .380 and my .40, just normal range practice. I looked through the offerings at the gun counter like normal, just to see what was there. Lo and behold, there was this poor, lonely AR-15 there!

Now understand, I have been trying to talk my darling bride into letting me buy an AR for a few months now (okay, since January 20th...coincidentally my birthday just FYI), but she is the one who does the bills. So no dice!!

Tuesday, though, I found this little DPMS, and all they were asking was $760! I was wondering if it was significantly broken, but it shot straight and came with two mags. It has a chrome bolt, too! So we put it on hold and went home to check the finances. (I am a pastor who lives on a cash-only basis; if I can't buy it without borrowing then I can't buy it)

Well the next day I went down and bought it. It was dirty and needed a good cleaning, but some time with a can of CLP and some cleaning brushes took care of that. Now to find some ammo that is not insanely expensive (.60 per round here in Phoenix!!!) and sight it in.

That makes the home defense stable look a lot better:
    DPMS 5.56 AR-15
    Remington 870 Home Defense 12-gauge
    Springfield XD 40c
    Bersa Thunder .380 (my wife's gun)

woot!
    Attached Images
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

That's great, congrats. K.I.S.S. is a good way to go, and you just may avoid BRD.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Congratulations on the newest addition to the home defense family. As a pastor myself I understand the cash only basis for purchses and believe it is a good practice. Takes a little longer to get what we want tho, doesn't it?
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Congrats.

ARs are gems!!!

You should be able to find some 5.56 ammo in the $0.38-43/rds range through online sources. Good luck.

jfl
    Congratulation !!! At that price it is a good find.
    And congrats also for having a wife who shoots !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Yeah when I married her (almost 14 years ago) she was liberal and anti-gun.

Now?? She shoots her Bersa regularly and practices with the Remington in child-defense scenarios. The difference has been information and education. She initially freaked out about me looking for an AR. Her argument was typical: "What do you need an ASSAULT RIFLE for?" Once she checked out what the AR platform is (thank you Wikipedia!!) and the fact that it is a semi-auto just like her Bersa changed her mind completely.

She is a special woman and I am lucky to have her.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Yeah when I married her (almost 14 years ago) she was liberal and anti-gun.

Now?? She shoots her Bersa regularly and practices with the Remington in child-defense scenarios. The difference has been information and education. She initially freaked out about me looking for an AR. Her argument was typical: "What do you need an ASSAULT RIFLE for?" Once she checked out what the AR platform is (thank you Wikipedia!!) and the fact that it is a semi-auto just like her Bersa she changed her mind completely.

She is a special woman and I am lucky to have her.
    It sounds like you cured her of her first ailment, but is she still liberal?

Oh no...not a bit. When I became a Christian in 98 (she became a Christian in junior high but had fallen away from the faith...maybe it was my fault:)) it made a lot of changes in our relationship and her outlook. She is a homeschooling pastor's wife who sings on the praise team at church and helps women with natural childbirth...yeah that might be the definition of super-conservative.

And this lady who would have screamed in the presence of any firearm whatsoever can out-shoot most cops I know. She is deadly accurate! (not that she could out-shoot a trained pro in a deadly force scenario...she is just a better shot than most) Not to mention, she can handle just about any firearm known to man.

Anyway, it's a cool AR that I got a smokin' deal on. And I have a great wife who, after doing some research on the platform and thinking about how we manage our money was fine with me having it.

That's great.

In Him,

MP

That's a really good deal, congrats. Don't know about your area, here the Privi-Partisan 5.56 ammo is pretty affordable and best of all, available. It shoots straight and is pretty clean burning.

SA XD-40, how do you like your XD? I just picked one up in .45, a bit ago, man I really like this pistol.

I LOVE my XD. It is my EDC and I absolutely love everything about it. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger, eats anything I feed it, and I am able to get a good sight picture quickly. Plus it was relatively inexpensive. What's not to like??

Hopefully I will be able to say the same about this AR (not the EDC part...AZ is open carry but that would be awkward!).

Congratulations! Be sure to let us know how it shoots!

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

B52
    Congrats, you have a good woman on your side. My wife OKed me to purchase a new Bushy M4 a few weeks ago; she's a keeper. Have fun with your new toy!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Congrats, I am looking at a Norinco clone with a 14.5" barrel myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links