Update: Mauser and SKS (with pics!)

This is a discussion on Update: Mauser and SKS (with pics!) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks to those who gave me some feedback on the rifles I was looking at buying. I met the seller at the range today and ...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Thanks to those who gave me some feedback on the rifles I was looking at buying. I met the seller at the range today and he let me look them over and run a few rounds through them. That done, I bought them on the spot at his asking price.

So, I now have a Yugo SKS and a Turkish Mauser (from 1943), $400 for both, including a bayonet and period sling for the Mauser, a bunch of stripper clips for the SKS, and a few rounds of ammo. The wood on the Mauser is a bit worn looking, but the action is clean and well kept, and the barrel was in excellent condition. Both shot very well at the 25yds I took my test shots.

And, without further ado, the SKS...
    Attached Images
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

And the Mauser.

(I call the last pic, "Mouser unimpressed with Mauser." )
    Attached Images
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Nice choice! Hope you enjoy the sks. If you want a nice stock setup look into tapco. Thats whats on the one in my avatar.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Nice weapons. Congrats.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Not bad at all. I went to a gun auction here in town last month and the only SKS they were selling was a pre ban Yugo. It sold for $400. I couldn't believe it went for that much. I won't even tell you what AK's were selling for but the were double and triple in price.

you got a good deal nice guns

Nice price on some good rifles.

I would advise on a Murrey's spring loaded firing pin and Wolff Springs for the trigger group if your SKS doesn't already have them.

Man, you scored good IMO. If your SKS has not been modded in any way Id leave it stock and use the stripper clips.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

As near as I can tell, the SKS is stock. Got it out to the range for about twenty rounds yesterday, and the iron sights seem plenty accurate shooting out to 50 yards. Will try longer distances on the next trip.

My only two issues so far are the heavy trigger and the fit of the butt against my shoulder. I am going to add some sort of recoil pad to the stock, and I am probably going to send my trigger group off to Tom Prince to work over. The only other change I would think about right now is swapping the front sight for something fiber optic to make it a little more visible.

Oh, and getting the bayonet sharpened.

Senior Moderator
    Pretty good deal
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    As near as I can tell, the SKS is stock. Got it out to the range for about twenty rounds yesterday, and the iron sights seem plenty accurate shooting out to 50 yards. Will try longer distances on the next trip.

My only two issues so far are the heavy trigger and the fit of the butt against my shoulder. I am going to add some sort of recoil pad to the stock, and I am probably going to send my trigger group off to Tom Prince to work over. The only other change I would think about right now is swapping the front sight for something fiber optic to make it a little more visible.

Oh, and getting the bayonet sharpened.
    As I mentioned above, get the Wolff Springs power pak for that rifle. It will take care of that heavy trigger for ya, takes about 10 minutes at best to change them out, and thats taking your time. Its also a cheap thing to do. 9 bucks. Makes it really nice to shoot.

I also suggest the spring loaded firing pin to prevent possible slamfires, but thats up to you. 35 bucks.

You did good, congrats.
    Keep your powder dry

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Nice rifles. The cat looks rough though.

Links