Do I need this part on my 870?

This is a discussion on Do I need this part on my 870? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Remington 870 with a factory mag extension. Do I need the magazine/barrel clamp with swivel stud that came with it? I ask ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a Remington 870 with a factory mag extension. Do I need the magazine/barrel clamp with swivel stud that came with it? I ask because the flashlight I just mounted is interfering with it. Thanks.

GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I hear rumors about the mag tube extension coming off without the clamp after repeated firing, so it might be a good idea to keep the clamp on there. I think it makes the shotgun look better anyhow!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I had issues with the flashlight as well. I ended up mounting it on the side behind the clamp and it worked fine.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Problem is it scratches the barrel. Try blue loctite on the extension threads where it screws into the magazine end cap. The extension only contains one shell plus the spring so it's not holding up any weight.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    You can get mag/barrel clamps that leave almost no footprint. I have one on order now. Look into Mesa Tactical for great shotgun parts and accessories.

P.S. I had to order mine off eBay. No one else had anything Mesa tactical in stock.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Offset your flashlight holder?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Do I need the magazine/barrel clamp with swivel stud that came with it?
    Short answer ... Yes. It keeps the barrel and magazine in alignment.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Not to be trite but any black shotgun that doesn't have some marks or scratches hasn't been fired enought to be worth it's salt. I can see keeping a pretty wood bird gun nice or keeping a gun "as new" for resale, but for a true HD gun, you need to get it out there and use it and they will show the wear.

I can also say you need to really wipe it down every time you use it and take the clamp off, clean, and put it back on regularly or it will rust underneath. Same goes for side saddle shell holders. Things like that hold moisture against the metal and 870's (as much as I love them) rust easily as does just about any blued gun.

My 870 lost the swivel stud part (not the bracket) and its hard to find just that replacement. Instead of having to pay $30 or so for the whole bracket/swivel hardware I'd love to buy the swivel piece from you if you arent using it. let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    I ask because the flashlight I just mounted is interfering with it.
    What setup did you use for the flashlight? Is it a Surefire Weaponlight? If so, you don't have any means to offset the light. I ended up getting a Clark Custom "band" from Brownells. It is a little pricey, but held up very well at a defensive shotgun course I was at over the weekend. Not only does it work well, it also looks good.

Other options are available from Mesa Tactical and TacStar. I have also seen people remove the swivel stud from the stock Remington clamp.

The bottom line is yes, if you are running a full length extension, you should certainly have a clamp. This prevents the extension from coming loose during repetitive firing or if it gets knocked around. The whole point of the extension is to give the user greater ammo capacity. Should the extension come loose or get knocked around, unthread, and fall off, the shotgun becomes a single shot, in which case I hope you have cover and your emergency reloading skills are proficient.

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    I have a Remington 870 with a factory mag extension. Do I need the magazine/barrel clamp with swivel stud that came with it? I ask because the flashlight I just mounted is interfering with it. Thanks.

If your barrel retaining ring has a spring loaded detent- no you do not need the clamp. The mag extension should also have ridges machined in the rear to engage the detent. On the Remington extensions, it may help to use a needle file to deepen these notches, for positive engagement.

Here's what the set up looks like. It uses a TacStar Universal Light Mount and an off brand surprisingly sturdy surprisingly bright LED light with tail cap operation.

(all these shots are without the magazine barrel clamp on)
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Id be worried about knocking that tube against a door or something solid and breaking it. Its not unheard of to hit things pretty hard with the end of a tactical shotgun. If it broke, youd be out of the game. Id have some bracket that held it fast to the barrel.

I would recommend having some sort of piece holding on the magazine extension, because if it breaks off, you have a single shot shotgun.

Out of curiosity, have you fired the weapon with that light attached to it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links