Looking for first rifle - Page 2

Looking for first rifle

This is a discussion on Looking for first rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Savage 110T series is a great starter rifle for centerfire shooting like you describe. Great barrels, great triggers, economical price. Nothing wrong with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rifle

The Savage 110T series is a great starter rifle for centerfire shooting like you describe. Great barrels, great triggers, economical price. Nothing wrong with the 5.56/.223 for practice. Easier on the shoulder from the bench, still "inexpensive" compared to .30 calibers, and hits hard enough when placed with precision.

I do have a hand me down rifle from my uncle. It was camo so I painted it black. I have some pics of it. Let me know what I can do with it. It prob ain't much but it worlks well shooting rats and skunks. LOL

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...8/P3310001.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...8/P3310005.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...8/P3310007.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...8/P3310008.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...8/P3310009.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...8/P3310006.jpg

Sorry not the best pics but I hope you guys can see it. Would I be able to change those sights to a scope?
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Looks to me like a Remington 550, although I could be wrong about that. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures but it does look like it has dovetail cuts (probably not the right terminology) along the top of the reciever which means that you could mount a scope on it without too much difficulty.

Personally if you haven't done much rifle shooting I'd say take it out and work on the fundamentals with the iron sights at 50 or 100 yards, off a rest or from a prone position to work on the basics for a little while, and then put the scope on it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

should i look for a bipod? or does anyone have one that would fit that has been unused in a safe for a while? lol
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    From the bench, sandbags are much superior to bipods. Get yourself an assortment of various sized leather sandbags and have fun.

I myself was doing research on this same topic about a month ago. I found that most military snipr rifles are .308 but they have been converting to .300 Win mag for longer distance accuracy and potency. The .300 according to my research and and balistics charts flies quite abit flatter but is more expensive about $1/rnd as aposed to the .308 $.7/rnd. When I decide which round I want (depending on how much I really want to shoot) I will most likely go with an affordable savage.

Savage 111 111FCXP3 .300 Win Mag 3-9x40mm Scope for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $384.00

I may go with a .300 just to know that I can take something out more accurately at longer range.

Your actual goal for the rifle has a lot to do with caliber selection.

If you actually intend to hunt with the rifle, what you intend to hunt dictates a minimum caliber. If you anticipate hunting deer sized game or larger, I'd recommend 308 or 300 WinMag. Any 30 caliber has a vast array of factory loaded ammunition ranging from low 100 grain weights to over 200 grains.

If your goal is only a quality rifle to do mainly target work and varmint hunting, then there's several good calibers to choose from. 223 is hard to beat for a good bench rifle. One of my favorites is 22-250. Or, for an extremely flat shooting, fun rifle, take a look at 204 Ruger. Amazing little cartridge.

As to the rifle itself, it's pretty hard to beat the current line of Savage rifles for out of the box dependability and accuracy. The Remington 700 series is an excellent rifle and there are tons of after-market upgrades available if you want to "improve" the factory platform. Though I have never shot one, I currently have the hots for a Browning X-Bolt. Lots of good choices out there and these are just a few. One strong suggestion I would make would be get one with a good synthetic stock. They won't change dimensions like a wood stock does and I've been through the whole glass-bedding routine and it's not a lot of fun. If you must go with wood, try to get a laminated stock and preferably a free float barrel.

Finally, glass. Yes, there are some decent inexpensive scopes out there but the difference between decent and quality glass has to be seen to comprehend. On my 3 best target rifle, a custom Remington 700, a Ruger #1 and a Browning A-Bolt, I have as much, if not more, invested in the glass on them as in the rifle itself. One of the most critical factors for a good target scope is repeatability. Each click must move the reticle a precise amount. This is one of the most difficult properties to find in lower cost scopes, though I've run across a few. I've had excellent luck with the Simmons 44 Mag lineup of scopes and plan on buying one of their new side-focus models when they become available. On that note, side focus is a big advantage (IMO) when working from a bench rest. I've made a decision that any target scope I purchase in the future will have this feature.

Good luck and have fun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

this is all great info thank you so much for ur guys help

Ricardo

elrey718 when you get that rifle your looking for check out an appleseed event. The Appleseed Project
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links