Looking for first rifle

This is a discussion on Looking for first rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The last couple off weeks I have been getting very interested in sniper rifles. I don't know what it is but it is like a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for first rifle

Looking for first rifle

The last couple off weeks I have been getting very interested in sniper rifles. I don't know what it is but it is like a bug flying into one of those bright zapper lights. lol

So I am looking for a beginner sniper rifle and a couple sites that can start me off in learning some of what I need to knw. Thanks ahead of time.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

What do you define as a "sniper rifle"? Do you mean a black bolt action with a scope in an appropriate caliber, or something more sophisticated? Something in .308 or 300 Win mag, with a quality scope in the 3-9 or 4-12 range, a heavy barrel (my preference), and a good trigger system would be a place to start.

Look at Savage or Remington 700s (700s are the base of the Marine Corps' M40). I'm sure there are also custom shops that can make a custom precision rifle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Don't know anything about sniper rifles. However my Savage 110FP in .308 is an excellent deer rifle for stand hunting. It is a little heavy for stalking but not too bad. It is not a pretty rifle, all black. This way I wont worry about scratching up a pretty stock while I am out in the woods. It is accurate enough that if I were shooting off a rest I imagine I could take Bambi out at 600 yards easy enough. I don't know if my scope will adjust beyond that. I guess I could just hold over.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    What do you define as a "sniper rifle"? Do you mean a black bolt action with a scope in an appropriate caliber, or something more sophisticated? Something in .308 or 300 Win mag, with a quality scope in the 3-9 or 4-12 range, a heavy barrel (my preference), and a good trigger system would be a place to start.

Look at Savage or Remington 700s (700s are the base of the Marine Corps' M40). I'm sure there are also custom shops that can make a custom precision rifle.
    Yes just something to start off. I want to learn how to line the scope and all of that good stuff. I don't want to buy anything at a crazy price now but I want to get the feel for what it feels like. Is .223 a cal that is used as a sniper bullet>
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Get you a nice deer-hunting rifle in .30-06 with a really good scope to put on it.

Multipurpose, and really accurate to about 300 yards with decent ammunition. Which is pretty good if you're in the hilly areas between the Ohio River and the Chesapeake Bay, for example. Not as effective as one might like in the plains or deserts, perhaps you want a tiny lightweight bullet with a big powder load for a flat trajectory over greater distances. But where I am, you can't much see more than three hundred yards anywhere, anyway.

And if anyone asks, it's a "deer-hunting rifle". We don't use words like, "sniper", because that's people who hide in bell towers and shoot innocent college students and stuff. Bad guys. Of course, such a tool would have obvious self-defense applications should the "day of trouble" arrive in your lifetime.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

thank you very much user deer-hunting rifle it is

Ricardo

For military applications .223 is generally not used as a sniper round (although the Mark 12 is a designated marksman rifle that shoot it). .308 is pretty widely used. But if you are just looking for a precision rifle depending on use I'd go for a Remington 700 or Savage in either .308 or .223 (for varmints and the like).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Just got a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308... great trigger out of the box, and super-duper accurate. They are under $700... Get a good scope, and a harris bi-pod.

Here's what you end up with:

That's not mine, but it's identical to mine (different scope, though)

What distances are you hoping to shoot?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    +1 on the Remington 700 and I'd get it in .308. .308 is an oustanding large game/deer round and as such it's pretty common ammo although it's anything but cheap. It also happens to be a very popular sniper round for many different militaries and is quite capable at very long ranges.

I too would recommend something you can use for deer or other hunting applications so it's not just a closet queen.

Another round I really like for longer range is 7mm 08. It's also a good deer round and a pretty good long distance flat shooter.

Sniper ammo isn't cheap!

I do think you can have a lot of fun setting up a .223 for long range shooting or (don't laugh ) a .22 mag bolt action rifle with a bull barrel. It's no sniper rifle but it's cheap enough to practice schooting technique.

It's real expense to shoot a box of .308's so having a companion rifle in .22 mag or .17hmr is a good idea to let you practice.

Shooting a 1" grouping with a .17 hmr at 200 yards would be a lot of fun, economical, and a feat I'm not capable of doing.

Just some thoughts on how to get the sniper experience but being able to affort to shoot enought to be proficient.

It aint cheap...but this is my personal choice. After that I recommend a Winchester Model 70 with the claw extractor bolt similar to that of the pre-1964 models. I have one in 308 and 270. They are tack drivers....with factory ammo.

Model 700™ Tactical Target Rifle
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Just for grins, I bought an H&R Ultra Varmint in .223 (single shot break over with fluted bull barrel) a month or so ago. I did a good barrel break in on it before I even mounted useful optics. I borrowed an old Redfield scope to test the gun for precision before I spent any more money. After feeling comfortable that the gun was worth making a project out of, I spent the "big bucks" (tongue in cheek) and mounted a 4-12x56 NCStar scope last week.

My goal in this project gun is to shoot 4 inch groups, POA, at 300 yards - consistantly, and do it for under $500 total. At this stage of the game I have $275 in the gun, $50 in the Harris bi-pod, and $70 in the scope (I get a pretty good discount on most stuff). So far, well under budget with good prospect of reaching goal.

With a 1:9 twist, this gun is suited more for the heavier projectiles. I'm sure the groups will definately tighten up when I start them.

Good shooters can be put together on a low budget.

surv

Are you already a rifle shooter? Or is this literally your first rifle?
    I want to learn how to line the scope and all of that good stuff.
    Because if that's the case, I would respectfully suggest an accurate, well-scoped, bolt-action rimfire rifle (CZ, Savage, etc., etc.). With scaled-down targets, distances & expense you can develope the skills to become very, very capable with whatever style or caliber of rifle you later decide to purchase. Become a 50 (100?) yard rimfire rifle whiz & then it won't matter what you may someday have in your hands. You'll be a SHOOTER. And that, IMHO, is MUCH more important than the ohh-ahh factor of pulling a high-end tactical centerfire rifle out of it's case...and then shooting minute-of-pumpkin groups.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If you want a "Sniper Rifle" Then become a sniper. Then any rifle you have will be a sniper rifle.

Being a sniper is far far more than just being able to hit a target from a distance.

Now if you are looking for trigger time. So that you may build skills and learn as much as possible. This would be my suggestion.

Purchase a 22lr rifle. Either bolt action or Semi. Doesn't really matter all that much. $100-$150

Purchase 4 bricks of 22lr ammo. (Roughly 2200 rounds) $35-$50

Shoot 1100 or so rounds with irons. At various distances. Take note of what works for you and what doesn't.

Shoot the remaining 1100 or so after the purchase of a scope. Basically starting all over again.

All told you can probably get away with spending less than $200. No cheaper way out there to get time behind a rifle. Which means you are going to be far more likely to actually shoot that much.

Once you are comfortable with your basic skills, then it would probably be time to move up to a different platform, so as you can build upon your already established skillset. In which case I would reccomend either a 223,270, or a 308. Until then however, nothing will be actual practice.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Might mention a .243 in there somewhere. Flat shooter... light recoil... little brother to the .308. Plenty of varied uses and round sizes for it.

Just for something different to consider...

Might mention a .243 in there somewhere. Flat shooter... light recoil... little brother to the .308. Plenty of varied uses and round sizes for it.

Just for something different to consider...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links