help me decide

This is a discussion on help me decide within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the choice between two SKS's. One is Chinese brand new. All stock. Cheaper in price. The other is Yugo (bit used). Modified for ...

Thread: help me decide

help me decide

I have the choice between two SKS's.

One is Chinese brand new. All stock. Cheaper in price.

The other is Yugo (bit used). Modified for mags. and was modified with a 'nade launcher muzzle adapter....in which is pretty much permenent so I couldn't change muzzles.

Which one should I go for. Price isn't a concern since both are fairly priced good.

2. Remove Ads

Personally I wouldn't but a SKS modified to take mags, every one I have ever seen that has been modified to do so has had issues. The fixed mag with stripped clips is the way to go IMO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    What he said.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

What they said, plus you avoid any potential issues with the Yugo gas cutoff system. The Chinese model is plain Jane, like it was designed to be originally.

I have two of the Chinese models that were factory modified to take Ak mags. They both work well, but are finicky about mags. Just any ole AK mag won't work in them, I have been lucky enough to get six that work for each, but have to mark them and keep them separate from my other AK mags. The modified sks mags have their problems too. Moral of the story, use the stripper clips and your good to go.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    I rarely say this, and it really bothers me to but by the Chinese made one. Never ever buy a gun modified by unknown people.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 2nd, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yea, go with "Made in China"
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Thanks. Will take your advice.

I own a Chinese made SKS, have had it almost 15 years. It shoots as true as I do and has never failed once. I've likely put 2K rounds through it, though I haven't shot it in a couple of years since I live in a Suburban area now, used to own farmland that I lived close to.

I firmly believe with CH SKS' it is luck of the draw. My understanding is that when they were being mass produced they literally fell off the line into a pile and were crated on the spot. I was lucky, you may be as well. I have a great CH SKS.

I echo what was stated about mods on the SKS, stay away from it.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

Definitely the chinese one not the franken-gun
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    If I remember correctly, the only thing involved in "modification" is dropping the trigger assembly and popping out the box magazine. Absolutely nothing but reassembly without the box magazine is required. No harm done unless the original parts are lost, then they can most likely be replaced. My formerly owned SKS did NOT like the cheap 30 round mags...nor did I, so I replaced the stock box mag.

As for which I would choose???? I had the Yugo, with all the standard features at 8+ pounds...heavy non chrome lined barrel. My son had the Norinco, basic no frills model with the lighter weight chrome lined barrel. Actually, after the barrels warmed up a bit, the Yugo was a much more accurate (relatively speaking) shooter than the Norinco. One thing to consider is the weight factor, if you plan to carry it "in the field".

surv

My made in china works just fine.
    Keep your powder dry

Picked up the China one. :)

Links