870 Users: What do you use for your night sights, sling, and side saddle?

This is a discussion on 870 Users: What do you use for your night sights, sling, and side saddle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for some feed back on these parts, as I am looking to pick these up. Don't really want ghost ring sights, just a tritium ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 Users: What do you use for your night sights, sling, and side saddle?

870 Users: What do you use for your night sights, sling, and side saddle?

Looking for some feed back on these parts, as I am looking to pick these up.

Don't really want ghost ring sights, just a tritium front sight.

What type of sling options are there? One point, two point etc.?

Thanks for any input!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

Here's my night sight

And here's my side saddle

Got the tactical fore end for mine off EBay, and I've tried out a sling and don't much like it on my 870 Express.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I had a 6 round Tac Star side saddle on my 870 but took it off. Having a side saddle throws off the balance of my shotgun and makes it a little heavy for me. I currently don't have a sling, but that could change in the future. I still have the standard front bead sight that came on the gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have a KNoxx stock with side saddle and a side saddle on the receiver. Gives me 9 extra rounds on the gun. Barrel has a vent rib so I have blaze orange millet front and rear sights for day time. I added a meprolight bead just in front of the front sight to use at night. I have a surefire forearm with a light. I am going to add a burris speedbead to give me a red dot that will co-witness the millet sights. and adding an Urban ERT 2-point sling.

I use a specter gear shell holder. I have one on my 870 and my benelli M1 Shotgun Buttstock Shell Holders

For a sling I decided once again on specter gear and got 1 for each shotty Remington 870 & 11/87 CQB Slings

Here's my light setup for night work A 6pled with a pressure switch
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Jeephipwr,

have you had any issues with the surefire fore end? thats what I'm looking at. Just wondering before I spend 350 lol.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

On my Remington 870P short-bbl 12ga, I've got a rear ghost ring / front bead set of tritiums that works fairly well.

The stock is a SpeedFeed with integral storage (+2 on each side), so, with five in the tube and +4 in the stock, I find no need for an extra-storage type sling or saddle.

I've never been great with a sling, for carry or shooting, so I do without. Simpler for me, that way.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No sidesaddle for me, don't like how my weapons feels with one. I keep an open top satchel with a shoulder strap full of shells next to my 870 if I need extra rounds, hopefully I won't need more than the 7 that are loaded but I figured that I'd play it safe. I stuck with the bead sight, at the ranges and conditions that I would have to use it in I'm not concerned about needing more, I'd probably just end up sighting down the barrel anyhow. As for a sling, I don't really see the need unless you're patrolling/hunting or if you want to transition to a sidearm and still maintain control of your weapon, my house isn't big enough to be messing around and taking my time throwing a holster and pistol on plus slings are noisy and can get all caught up and such when you're trying to throw one on in the dark.

Here's my 870 dressing...

Night Sights: None. I just use the stock bead and a Surefire WeaponLight Forend. The Surefire is needed to identify tragets and creates enough ambient light that I can see the stock bead without any issues.

Side Saddle: Tacstar 6-round. I had a defensive shotgun course this past weekend which required a side-saddle. I will most likely take it off for simple home defense, as I can put a few slugs in my pocket should I need to "select load."

Sling: Self-modified Vickers VCAS Cobra padded two-point sling with GG&G front sling mount and Vickers buttstock adapter. I had to modify the sling a bit because I am a small guy and the sling was just too darn big for me.

Here is a less than stellar picture of my 870P all dressed up. I'll try to get some better pictures up this weekend.

I have never had any issues with the surefire forearm. Works great.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I don't like sidesaddles. At all. If I could not have other weapons around, and had only a shotgun, a sidesaddle might be worth the trouble.

I go back and forth on slings for shotguns. I have kept a strap sling with QD swivels handy, for attachment to the shotgun as deemed necessary. Lately, I have not bothered taking the sling along anywhere, though if at home, it won't take long to get the sling and attach if if I see a need. Once again, availability of other weapons is a factor. If the shotgun was my only weapon, I might want to keep a sling on it. I do like slings on rifles.

One of my shotguns, an 870P, has a simple bead. I like the simplicity. My second shotgun is an 870 that had a THR package done by Scattergun Technologies. I am still trying to learn to like the ghost ring set-up. It may not happen.

Like eagle5, I am a believer in the Surefire Weaponlight forend, and used one for quite a few years. My command staff recently decided to forbid lights mounted on our weapons, for use on or "off" duty. I had better not comment on that.

Sights are useless to me for a gun that fits unless for the use of slugs. Can't see much need for slugs for HD. I have a side saddle on one of my 870s but I prefer a stock sleeve of elastic as I usually have the comb built up to fit me where sights are not needed and the sleeve covers the alterations. I prefer a sling for LE/Tact to allow the use of long arm and side arm but I think a slingless gun is best for HD.

I like the shells on the stock myself.

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The shells on elastic cuffs on the butt may be in the way if you should have to fire from the weak side shoulder. It may be an injury or it may be a corner in your bedroom that forces you to fire weak hand. The plastic shell holders on the M4 / AR15 pistol grip stocks are much worse and can injure your face. Consider where your left cheek would be in you fired with this left handed:

Rifle Stocks and other Gunstocks for AK, AR, SKS and more - Advanced Technology International USA

I do not like the side saddle either. I use a Bulter Creek stock, which has a place for 3 rounds on it. A Mag ext, a Hoge Rubber over mold forearm, and just a simple sling.

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links