New gun day for me

This is a discussion on New gun day for me within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While I didn't pick up a Glock 36 at the gun store yesterday, I was able to get a few things off my list. Like ...

Thread: New gun day for me

New gun day for me

While I didn't pick up a Glock 36 at the gun store yesterday, I was able to get a few things off my list. Like the Marlin 1894 in .357 that I have been trying to find for forever. And a Savage 11FXP3 in .308, because I didn't really have a modern bolt action in a caliber that I could do distance work with.

I also bought a very slightly used Auto-Ordinance (post Kahr), GI 1911 for well under what the price should have been, so all in all it was a good day, and now I'm gonna go shooting, hopefully I can get some pics up before the end of the weekend. (FYI, anyone in Ohio area, I know of at least one store that still has a good supply in pretty much all calibers of ammo if you are interested.)
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Nice score!

Are you still going to get that Glock-36...you NEED it...I live mine!

Stay armed...sounds like you are...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, that sounds like a good buying day... and yes, put some rounds down range.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Good to see that someone is stimulating the economy.

Congrats and have fun.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sounds like you made a few good grabs. Those Savages are tack drivers
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Good to see that someone is stimulating the economy.

Congrats and have fun.
    I've been stimulating as much as I can since I've been back in the states.

Some observations from the range: The Savage is a tack driver, but I definitely need to put some better glass on it than the Bushnell it came with.

The Marlin in .357 may be my new favorite firearm. Light, handy, maneuverable, without too much recoil, and accurate, even with just the irons. Beautiful weapon.

I also tried out a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U I got recently as a gift. Busting clays is something I've neglected to do for too long a time, as it is great fun and not as expensive as some other kinds of shooting. That Mossberg may not be top of the line, but of the cheaper O/U's I've shot, it definately is the best and most useable for clays.

Pic's will probably have to wait till tommorow.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Seems like you done good by yourself. I think you'll enjoy that Savage bolt action, and if you reload for the .308win, then you'll be in hog heaven (Arkie saying). You can likely pick up that Glock later as I saw plenty of them at the local gun shop today, although magazines for them were not to be found. Anxiously awaiting your range report. Be safe, have fun.

jfl
    Congrats !!!
    I never bought more than one gun at a time, so I am jealous.
    Enjoy ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Nice buys. I love my Savage but I would also have to agree with you, the scope needs to be upgraded, but for ~$400, the rifle's SWEET

B52
    Pics please, glad you are back home...have fun at the range!

Ok, here is a crappy picture of the recent additions, along with a few other firearms. It isn't nearly everything I took to the range, but it'll do for now. The Mossberg Silver Reserve seems to me to be a good shotgun for the price, and I knocked a heck of a lot of clays out of the sky with it, I liked it a lot better than the Stoeger Condor my friend had, which was another O/U I was considering.

The Savage definitely needs some better glass on it, but the rifle is amazing and shoots well. I'll have to see how much I can save for a new scope before I get leave again. The .308 isn't too rough out of it either, which is always nice. I'll need to get some better ammo for it next time too, if I can find any.

The Marlin in .357 is just about perfect. Low recoil, even lower with .38's. Feed and functioned perfectly. Right on target at 50 yards with irons from offhand. I'm glad I finally found one in a decent price for my collection.

The Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-A1 is newer as well, shoots like a dream, although I need to ditch the FLGR. It has functioned perfectly with everything I have fed it, no matter what mags I use. Laser accurate if I do my part.

And the Auto-Ordinance 1911, seemed to have a few jamming issues. I think it was the recoil spring, sometimes it wouldn't return all the way into battery, and the recoil in it felt a lot different than either of my other 1911's, although it was hard to describe how so. I picked it up for cheap, I'm not gonna carry it, so its a range/tinkering with pistol.

All in all a good day was had at the range. Although the thing I really do need to do more is bust some clays.
    Attached Images
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links