Scope focusing problem

Scope focusing problem

This is a discussion on Scope focusing problem within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up my Savage model 11 .308 which came with a scope. This is my first bolt-action rifle. Now, I took it to the ...

Scope focusing problem

I picked up my Savage model 11 .308 which came with a scope. This is my first bolt-action rifle. Now, I took it to the range last week and the problem that I'm having is with focusing on the target and the cross hairs clearly. I can not focus on both. It's either the target that's clear and the cross hairs are blurry or visa-versa.

How do I fix this?

What distance are you shooting at, what magnification is your scope set on?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

If it's a multi powered scope there should be a focus adjustment knob. This can be the very end of the ocular and may be covererd by a lens cap. If it's single powered you'll have to find the best eye relief distance for you and the scope. Most are from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches from the ocular. Worse case the scope may be defective and you may need to exchange it.
    Last edited by ronwill; April 6th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    or you could be developing the same eye condition that most of us old guys suffer... get yourself some 1.0-1.5 reading glasses for $15 and see if that doesn't fix the reticle focusing problem. As my "handle" implies, I work with other optics as well as rifle scopes, and have for well over 30 years. During those years I have found that often the scope user has to make adjustments to themselves as well as adjusting controls on the scope. Sometimes, life just ain't fair

surv

The reason I asked is that if you are at 9x magnification and shooting at a 25 yd target it could cause the problem. At a lower magnification targets will be clear if close in. If your shooting at 100 yds they should all apear clear unless there is a problem with the scope or eyes.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

My scope was set on 9x (my scopes highest setting) magnification and I was shooting at 100yards. But I tried it at all magnifications too. I'm 21 and my eye sight sucks so I already wear glasses, or contacts.

Links