wanting an ar-15

This is a discussion on wanting an ar-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i want to buy an ar-15 and i think i've made my decision on what to buy...almost. i'm looking at cmmg and am trying to ...

Thread: wanting an ar-15

wanting an ar-15

i want to buy an ar-15 and i think i've made my decision on what to buy...almost.

i'm looking at cmmg and am trying to understand the difference in their models that say socom a1 versus the ones that don't. F-1454H A1 is a socom model for example. Has something to do with a grenade launcher (which is something i don't really want). Is it visible on the gun?

On many ar's (with m4 handgaurds) i see an area on the barrel about two inches in front of the front sight where the barrel is skinnier. Is this the grenade launcher flats they're talking about?

second question is this...what is the benefit of going with a phantom versus an a2 flash hider?

thanks

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I cant answer the question about CMMG, I dont know much about their line up.

The flash hider one I can answer. The phantom is a flash hider designed for the civilian market. It works well, looks neat and adds the required 1.5" to a 14.5" barrel. If it were me, I'd get the standard A2 and take the extra length in something useful- 16" of rifled barrel. It just doesnt make sense to me to have something that adds dead weight/length to my rifle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I cant answer the question about CMMG, I dont know much about their line up.

The flash hider one I can answer. The phantom is a flash hider designed for the civilian market. It works well, looks neat and adds the required 1.5" to a 14.5" barrel. If it were me, I'd get the standard A2 and take the extra length in something useful- 16" of rifled barrel. It just doesnt make sense to me to have something that adds dead weight/length to my rifle.
    thanks for the reply. i've never looked at it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    i want to buy an ar-15 and i think i've made my decision on what to buy...almost.

i'm looking at cmmg and am trying to understand the difference in their models that say socom a1 versus the ones that don't. F-1454H A1 is a socom model for example. Has something to do with a grenade launcher (which is something i don't really want). Is it visible on the gun?
    A1 just means it's the first gen SOCOM. Creating confusion is that A1 usually refers to the old style (1st gen) M-16 rear sight. The model you are looking at is an A4 upper, and I believe it includes a detachable carry handle with A2 rear sight.

On many ar's (with m4 handgaurds) i see an area on the barrel about two inches in front of the front sight where the barrel is skinnier. Is this the grenade launcher flats they're talking about?
    Yes, the M4 profile means that there is a narrower cut in the barrel profile that allows attachment of a grenade launcher.

second question is this...what is the benefit of going with a phantom versus an a2 flash hider?

thanks
    That model has a 14.5" barrel (subject to NFA restrictions). The phantom is about 1.7" long, so when you pin/weld it to the barrel you avoid NFA restrictions by creating a 16.1~" barrel.

The A2 is too short for that application. Some barrel makers have 14.7" barrels for that reason, so that you can use an A2 flash hider to reach a non-NFA restricted length. Sabre defense takes a different tact, and they make an extended A2 flash hider.

Both the A2 and the phantom do a good job of hiding flash. Some people believe one or the other does better.

I have a 1st gen phantom (with the jagged edges) pinned and welded to my HD gun because it gives me about an extra inch of maneuvering (16.1" vs 17+"), and it's something I can strike an assailant with and hopefully do more damage than the A2.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I don't know much about CMMG models, but the M4 profile barrel (with the cuts in front of the sight and the slimmer barrel under the handguards) is generally lighter than a bull barrel or a barrel without those cuts.

As for the flashhider difference... it comes down to barrel length and I say if you want an SBR, then actually get an SBR with the stamp. If you have no intention of getting an SBR, you might as well just get the 16" model.... And if I were intending to SBR, I'd go with something a good deal shorter than 14.5... more like 10.5/11.5 if it were me... but my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

thanks for the info everyone. i found a CMMG F-1604 and jumped on it. i'm glad i went with a longer barrel.

Congrats!! Post pics of your new firearm when you get a chance!!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Links