M1 Carbine rant

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine rant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; M1 Carbine USGI 15rd Magazine, original US military, unissued. It's a little dismaying that they are listed as rusted but could likely be cleaned to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M1 Carbine rant

M1 Carbine USGI 15rd Magazine, original US military, unissued.

It's a little dismaying that they are listed as rusted but could likely be cleaned to be functional. The price slays me. They used to be a couple of bucks.

Thanks for speaking well of my Underwood. It is original but is worn. My dad's gun is the nice one for use as a reference for how the M1 Carbines originally looked.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Yep... they have gone up. Since the glut of CMP carbines came onto the market with no magazines, everyone bought them up and drove up the price.

I think I paid less than 10 bucks for all mine back a year or so ago.

If you want sticker shock try and find yourself a real GI 30 rounder. Rare and expensive now a days. Near $50.

Distinguished Member
    ps. looking for an old thread found this. I ended up giving it away. It was a "wannabe" M1 carbine that a lot of foreign manufacturers have jumped on. Rotten and rotten.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Man! I was going to offer $500 for it.
    aznav likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a Universal Arms M1 Carbine knock off and sadly, the extractor is broken.

I also have problems with the magazines not staying secure when they are inserted into the reciever well. They wiggle and drop a bit. All of my mags are militar surplus two 30's and one 15. That hinders the bolt stripping off a fresh round and inserting it into the chamber.

Plainly put it's junk but when it was functioning, it was a great little shooter. The M1 Carbine is probably my favourite semi-auto rifle. Some of the "after market" M1's did have some GI parts but when the supply dried up they went to making Carbines to their specs. Iver Johnson made a decent one as well as Plainfield. The early Universals had mixed GI parts but the latter ones like mine have very few things in common with a GI carbine. They have two recoil springs because of a weakness in them. It it also gas operated like the originals.

If you go some hard earned bucks and find an original in decent shape, that would be the best option. I too want one, but the last one I handled had the price tag of over $900 so I placed her gently back into the rack and walked away.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    GI mags seem to be the best for running the M1 carbine. Also, the 15 rounders are pretty much the only really reliable magazines in most of the carbines.
    This has been my experience also.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links