M1 Carbine rant

M1 Carbine rant

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine rant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, this is part rant, part asking for help, and part WTS. Last summer I bought an M1 Carbine, Plainfield, from a cop in Baltimore. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M1 Carbine rant

Distinguished Member

M1 Carbine rant

Ok, this is part rant, part asking for help, and part WTS. Last summer I bought an M1 Carbine, Plainfield, from a cop in Baltimore. It looks brand new. I want real bad to like this rifle. I'm probably being heretical, here, but I don't really care for black rifles. The M1 Carbine should have everything I need: small, light, ammo is reasonable, supposedly time tested, don't need a ton of accessories hanging off it. Just point and shoot. Yeah, right.
    I have tried three types of mags. I confess that I have not changed springs... yet, but you would think new mags (Korean - CDNN) would work. Sooo,
    A. Should I invest in new springs or top-of-line mags for "one more try with feeling" before selling?
    B. The ramp was polished by a tech but no results.
    C. It is possible that it is not the springs but actually the carbine itself. It jambs every time.
    D. Should I try another M1 Carbine? Suggestions? I am not interested in WWII collectibles.
    E. Should I try another rifle? Maybe bite the bullet and get a black rifle stripped.
    F. Anyone want to buy my Carbine and work on it yourself? I won't sell till I get some feedback first. I'm sure I'll take it in the shorts as I won't pull the same crap the cop did.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Senior Moderator
    What ammo are you shooting out of it?

The M1 Carbine is recoil operated some ammo like Wolf does not have enough power to properly cycle the bolt. You will get FTE's and FTF's

Stove pipes can be the mag spring but also could be ammo related.

So how is it jamming?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    GI mags seem to be the best for running the M1 carbine. Also, the 15 rounders are pretty much the only really reliable magazines in most of the carbines.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Moderator
    Fulton Armory makes A1 mags
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    What ammo are you shooting out of it?

The M1 Carbine is recoil operated some ammo like Wolf does not have enough power to properly cycle the bolt. You will get FTE's and FTF's

Stove pipes can be the mag spring but also could be ammo related.

So how is it jamming?
    It is almost always when I jack the first round in. It gets halfway out of the mag. When it does fire, every other one is the same. Halfway out.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Are you shooting ball ammo? Did the person you bought it from have problems with it and if not what kind of ammo did he shoot? Are you shooting reloads?
    These are some of the things you can try. hope you have success in solving the problem.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Are you shooting ball ammo? Did the person you bought it from have problems with it and if not what kind of ammo did he shoot? Are you shooting reloads?
    These are some of the things you can try. hope you have success in solving the problem.
    No ball ammo. No cheap stuff. The previous owner "only had it a short while and did not shoot much." Yeah, no kidding. Did not get that info till I inquired about the FTF's.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

The M1 Carbine is recoil operated
    It's GAS operated, not recoil operated.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    You can never have enough magazines or ammo.

VIP Member
    Plainfields are not USGI Carbines. They are commercial copies and have many non government parts that are not interchangable. They are alos know to be prone to jamming.

The USGI version is much more reliable.

This forum might be of more help concerning the plainfield as well as other Carbines:

M1CarbineForum.com - Powered by ForumCo.com - The Forum Company

I have National Postal Meter (USGI) and I have shot over 1000 rounds through it (plus whatever it shot during its active duty service) and it hasn't jammed one time since I have owned it.

And yes, it is gas operated.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Well you see that depends on when your plainfield was made really.

Mine is a plainfield, but has a huge amount of GI parts in it.

Sounds to me that you either have crappy mags, or the feed ramp is a bit off.

Also: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_plainfield.html
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I've been around M1 Carbines since I was 3 years old in 1960 when I got a whupping for looking at my dad's Carbine in his closet. First gun I ever fired was that same Carbine a few years later. I dearly love the Carbine and consider it to be superior to the AR 15 for most purposes. It puts critters, up to and including Texas whitetails, on the ground quite effectively out to 100 yards or so with good hits. Nothing is truly effective with bad hits.

I'm going to say that your best bet is to obtain a decent original US military M1 Carbine despite your desire to avoid the "collectibiles." I've not seen a military M1Carbine that was unreliable in the 10-12 with which I've had a shooting encounter through the years. The two M1 Carbine knock-offs I've been around are a split. The Universal was a complete piece of junk and my brother-in-law's 1983 vintage Plainfield was a decent performer though parts aren't interchangeable with military Carbines. The knock-offs of the originals generally don't have a good reputation. I used to think that perhaps the reputation was unwarranted and was only advanced by Carbine snobs who owned originals, but back then the originals didn't really cost any more than the replicas. So, perhaps there's something to the poor reputation of the replicas.

An M1 Carbine that is in good mechanical condition is a very dependable firearm. Parts still may be obtained inexpensively. I've fired a large number of rounds through both my dad's Carbine and mine and they've been trouble-free.

Here's a long winded thread I posted here a while back along with some personal photos.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...0-carbine.html

M1 Carbine manufactured by Underwood 10-43

My father and his Quality Hardware manufactured Carbine in summer of 1945 and again 63 years later.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; April 6th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    All excellent stuff!! Following the links I was given. Will also give some serious thought to getting a "vintage" Carbine.

Plainfield

I have a couple of Plainfield carbines, the only thing that's not a GI part except for the receiver and barrel is the trigger housing that's made of aluminum. They function just like a GI carbine. I would expect the magazines to be the problem, genuine GI 15 rounders are the best. You might remove the action from the stock and make sure the gas port and tappet are clean, and the working parts like slide, bolt, hammer are working freely. There is a gas port nut wrench made for the carbines
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I'm going to buy some top of the line mags per the forum's input. If that doesn't work, it's going to the highest bidder. I will check the gas port but because it jambs before the first shot, I lean toward the cheap mag problem. This thread has encouraged me to stay with the carbine. I certainly have a bucket of hard to get ammo for it. I am done screwing around. Anyone have a link to buy good carbine mags? tx!!

ps. that Underwood is beautiful!

Senior Moderator
    It is gas operated, I mis-spoke sorry, brain-fart

It could be the Recoil Spring

Fulton Armory Home Page

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links