A way to keep shooting

A way to keep shooting

This is a discussion on A way to keep shooting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; People are clearly still buying .223 ammo wherever they can find it, but how many people are still shooting it? I've got just enough ammo ...

Thread: A way to keep shooting

A way to keep shooting

People are clearly still buying .223 ammo wherever they can find it, but how many people are still shooting it? I've got just enough ammo to get by in SHTF but I cannot afford to go shooting for the heck of it.

I have been thinking that rather than scower the earth looking for .223, why not buy a AK 74 for $650 or so and 1080 rnds for $129 for a total investment of $779. 2k rounds of .223 will run you $800+.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

How about investing in a .22LR drop in bolt conversion for your AR?

Bolt plus mag can be had for just over $100.
    Accuracy more than good enough for plinking and/or close out to intermediate distance training.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I bought a 'boatload' of .223 ammo a couple of years ago when it was $.24 p/round. I've shot my AR a few times since then and still have over 1500 rds of FMJ and 800 rds of JHP's. I'm not buying any right now but I guess you could say I'm hoarding what I have knowing the price today.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    How about investing in a .22LR drop in bolt conversion for your AR?

Bolt plus mag can be had for just over $100.
    Accuracy more than good enough for plinking and/or close out to intermediate distance training.

- Janq

I like the way you think.

Maybe it's because I've just picked up and Advantage kit for my G21, and am now deciding between a .22 AR conversion or a dedicated .22 LR upper for my AR...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Get the AR upper that is chambered in the 5.45x39 and a few mags for the price of an AK. That way you get the same platform for your practice. Along with a pretty respectable round.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    is there any negative to using a .22 conversion in an AR? I used on in the military and they could be unreliabel but for just range time that's not a big deal. I've heard they can gunk up the gas tube? Any watchouts?

I for one am not shooting a lot of .223. I'm basically holding it right now. I'm still shooting some 9mm and .38 but I've cut back a bit. What I am doing is shooting a LOT more .22 in a Walther P22 and then in my rifles.

gotta love the lowly .22

VIP Member
    I hear if You shoot a few 223 it will clean out the gunk.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have my stash of ammo that I will not touch for range duty so, to keep shooting I invested in a lot of .22LR and take my Ruger 10/22 most times. I will sit back and wait till I find a couple boxes of Remington UMC .223 or other cheaper .223 and then go shoot my AR-15. I will shoot only what extra I can find even if I am only shooting 20 to 40 rounds each range visit.

I take my time and make every shot count and enjoy a few hours at the range. I spend some "cold" range time picking up spent brass. I usually walk away with about 10 pounds of .45acp, .40sw and .223 casings. You can trade spent casings for loaded ammo if you don't reload yourself.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Any concerns about gunking up your AR's barrel and gas system with a conversion kit can be alleviated by obtaining a whole, dedicated upper built to fire .22 LR. I bought three bricks of premium Remington .22 LR the other day at Bass Pro Shop, and they had plenty more, even though they were short of .223 and all centerfire handgun ammo. When payday arrives, I will buy more bricks of .22 LR.

.22 LR practice is very relevant and cost-effective, based on past experience with my K-frame .22 sixgun, and conversion units for 1911 and Glock. (Though my present duty pistols are SIG P229s, the K-frame .22 duplicates the DAK pull quite well.)

As for the original post, it is not clear that the OP has a weapon that can be converted to .22 LR. One thing that concerns me regarding the AK74 is future ammo availability, as importation of cheap 5.45x39 ammo may cease with a future stroke of a presidential pen, making a small-bore AK a wall hanger. I would not invest in an AK74 unless I could get a LARGE enough supply of ammo, at the same time, to be able to realize the savings in the cost of the ammo.

I already have a AR, so when I can afford it, I plan to acquire a dedicated .22 LR upper. I have also considered an S&W AR upper chambered for 5.45x39, as it can be converted someday rather easily to .223/5.56, if 5.45x39 ammo supplies dry up. I have seen these uppers for sale locally, off and on.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Not to float my own boat, but read this, PM me with any questions:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-ar-15-a.html

I shoot my AR a lot now!

I don't think a dedicated upper is worth the extra few hundred dollars.

VIP Member
    nutz4utwo Not to float my own boat, but read this, PM me with any questions:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-ar-15-a.html

I shoot my AR a lot now!

I don't think a dedicated upper is worth the extra few hundred dollars

I got the same kit and it works great. It is easy and cheap to shoot a few hundred rounds.

Sponsored Links