What kind of optics for an SKS.

This is a discussion on What kind of optics for an SKS. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently picked up an SKS (Chinese). Tacticooled it with a new stock. Though I'm at a loss on what kind of glass. I'm not ...

I recently picked up an SKS (Chinese). Tacticooled it with a new stock.

Though I'm at a loss on what kind of glass.

I'm not looking to shoot this much past 150yrds..max 200 MAX.

I'm not looking for high dollar or anything fickle. Somthin pretty simple.

Now should I go traditional glass like a $40-60 4x32mm scope?

Or trick it more via the top rail and maybe put a cheap red dot sight or the like?

This is a fun plinker I baught cheap to accessorize and shoot on the cheap.

My M1A is to expensive to shoot and I would like to "save it" for when Zombies or the North Koreans attack.

I won't pass $120 on optics...that still maybe a bit to much.

Unless you buy some kind of super nightvision thing, plain old iron sights will do the job. With optics and the mounts, there are sixty-two thousand and twelve things that can knock them off target or render them useless.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I love the old iron sights on my sks. I open them up and shoot tennis balls from about 50m lol.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Only my view but I'd consider any sort of optics to be detrimental for use on the SKS. I like the simplicity, durability, and compactness of the original sights. I recently had opportunity to stretch out to over 300 yards with my SKS and was surprised and pleased with it's capabilities at such a distance. Its sights were great.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I just got a Burris fastfire red dot for my AK. It's nnniiiiiicccccccce!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Stick with your open sights on the SKS in my opinion. I'd stick with open sights on an AK as well.

Yup. Open sights...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I plan on getting a rear cover plate rail mount, and something simple like a 3-9 X 42 or something. to keep it cheap. that way I can use a red dot later on should I want one. Bare in mind you'll probably need a deflector to keep the brass from knocking the scope every cycle. You can also paint the front site or get colored replacements or Williams Firesights.

I love my Yugo, its so ridiculously fun to shoot.

Senior Moderator
    I would keep the open sights
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    I plan on getting a rear cover plate rail mount, and something simple like a 3-9 X 42 or something. to keep it cheap. that way I can use a red dot later on should I want one. Bare in mind you'll probably need a deflector to keep the brass from knocking the scope every cycle. You can also paint the front site or get colored replacements or Williams Firesights.

I love my Yugo, its so ridiculously fun to shoot.
    I would save my money if I were you. The SKS gets dirty quick and every time you take your bolt cover plate off to clean it you'll have to re-zero. Listen to voices... stick with irons.

BTW, I am speaking from experience. I did exactly what you are thinking about and I ended up doing exactly what I just suggested.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Oh please. Standard SKS sights are even more mediocre than the weapon itself. Do your self a favor and put on these adjustable peep sights and make this weapon more than just a club:

SKS Sights

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That’s what it’s all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

VIP Member
    What you use is up to you, but the best way to mount a scope on SKS or AK is found here: Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle

I have no relation to the company, but I do have the mount on my Saiga .308.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSig View Post
    I would save my money if I were you. The SKS gets dirty quick and every time you take your bolt cover plate off to clean it you'll have to re-zero. Listen to voices... stick with irons.

BTW, I am speaking from experience. I did exactly what you are thinking about and I ended up doing exactly what I just suggested.
    You know, Ive been waffling on mounts for about 2 months, and youve just given me another reason to waffle. Its a good point though, I hadnt thought about that.

Id really like to scope it though, I dont have the best of eyes for longer range shooting. I just dont want to go modifying the heck out of it to do so.

Thanks for the link! Made my day

Thanks other for opinions, but I know Iron sights are pretty good for my application.

I just want to cope out my SKS. Looks like I found my mounts.

I will stand behind everyone saying to keep optics off the SKS. If you have to do it though, be mindful of this: Scopes can make it difficult to use stripper clips, and scopes can also be dinged by ejecting brass, depending on your setup. Receiver cover mounts are to be kept away from.

Links